Photo

Your thought on today / about the team so far ?

• Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

#201 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

My brain wont allow me to believe this. Your point about Chara playing against Malkin instead of Cam Jansen cancelling out the effect on stats does make sense though.
Posted Image

#202 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

My brain wont allow me to believe this. Your point about Chara playing against Malkin instead of Cam Jansen cancelling out the effect on stats does make sense though.

Cam Janssen isn't a defensemen, but I agree that about not being able to wrap my head around Tri's statement. A good defensemen can play well positionally and limit shots to low percentage areas on the ice. That has to have an effect on SV %

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#203 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,478 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

Cam Janssen isn't a defensemen, but I agree that about not being able to wrap my head around Tri's statement. A good defensemen can play well positionally and limit shots to low percentage areas on the ice. That has to have an effect on SV %

Teams shoot less when in bad areas more often. So what you're describing is the shot suppression argument.

The ratio of good to bad shots a team takes will stay about the same so the goalies save percentage stays about the same.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#204 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

Cam Janssen isn't a defensemen

This I know, my statement wouldn't have made sense if he was. :P  For clarity; the fact that Chara plays against the Malkins of the league, NOT the Jansens, is a likely explanation as to why this is not more clearly reflected in stats.

Posted Image

#205 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

No evidence to support what common sense brings to the argument.  Score one for statistics.

#206 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

The ratio of good to bad shots a team takes will stay about the same so the goalies save percentage stays about the same.

Hearsay.

Posted Image

#207 KovalClutch

KovalClutch

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

I like the team so far.

#208 mort4345

mort4345

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:43 PM

If you have dependable goaltending and solid D, that's half the battle. The Devils have the first part. Adding Schneider should keep their GAA down. The Devils might not register a lot of shots but they don't give up much. They'll need more from Larsson and probably are hoping Gelinas or Merrill are up by the next calendar year.

Offensively, the play of Zajac and Henrique has to go up. Adding Jagr gives them another puck possession guy. Even at his advanced age, No.68 has to be accounted for. Ryder is a reliable finisher. 20-25 goals. Clowe is more of an injury risk. You'll love his compete. He's not the best skater but is good in the corners and does the dirty work. They still got 'ole reliable Elias, who is my favorite Devil. Amazing how consistent he still is. He's the man. You got solid depth with Zubrus, Carter and Bernier. They don't have to have a 30-goal guy to succeed. Scoring by committee can be just as effective.  

They'll probably have a watchful eye on Boucher. A full year in Albany can't hurt. He's definitely got some quick hands. I'd say their future is looking good.

I couldn't have summed up the situation any better ... nice work.

#209 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:50 AM

I couldn't have summed up the situation any better ... nice work.

For a Ranger Fan.... :P

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#210 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:14 PM

Pens hired Jaques Martin as an assistant coach. It would've been great to have gotten him for our vacancy. He's a good defensive coach.

#211 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

The Bylsma clock started ticking with that hire. Clear as day. Just like Hextall going to Philly as Assistant GM of the Phailures. Bylsma and Holmgren both have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#212 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:40 PM

The Bylsma clock started ticking with that hire. Clear as day. Just like Hextall going to Philly as Assistant GM of the Phailures. Bylsma and Holmgren both have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

Bylsma def has to deliver this year. Martin's hiring should help him a ton.

#213 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,761 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:12 AM

not related to the discussion but wtv lol 

af92af3899ac384bf42c0203c18e433be2762919

www.SterioDesign.com

#214 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:08 AM

The offense doesn't look great, but there are some things I really like about this situation. You've got guys like Elias, Jagr, Zubrus, Ryder, and Clowe who have proven to be consistent players year after year (aside from Clowe's back luck with the Rangers last season). But because the team lacks a lot of first line talent, there will be many opportunities for younger players to prove themselves. It looks like this will be Josefson's year to prove that he can be an NHL player. He may end up competing for a spot with Loktionov, who, believe it or not has yet to play a full season in the NHL. Olesz is going to want to show that he's not some bust that had a few solid years and then faded away. Also, Zajac and Henrique are expected to step up their production in big ways this season. 

I'll exclude Zajac from this, but you've got to hope that at least one of these guys can live up to their potential. I think each of them has a lot of it.

#215 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,389 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:30 AM

The offense doesn't look great, but there are some things I really like about this situation. You've got guys like Elias, Jagr, Zubrus, Ryder, and Clowe who have proven to be consistent players year after year (aside from Clowe's back luck with the Rangers last season). But because the team lacks a lot of first line talent, there will be many opportunities for younger players to prove themselves. It looks like this will be Josefson's year to prove that he can be an NHL player. He may end up competing for a spot with Loktionov, who, believe it or not has yet to play a full season in the NHL. Olesz is going to want to show that he's not some bust that had a few solid years and then faded away. Also, Zajac and Henrique are expected to step up their production in big ways this season. 

I'll exclude Zajac from this, but you've got to hope that at least one of these guys can live up to their potential. I think each of them has a lot of it.

In fairness, I think this is going to be a team we'll have to see actually play before we can even guess how good they're going to be...lots of new faces.  I'll admit I'm optimistic though.  To me, getting Kovy's contract off the books can't be seen as anything more than a major win, especially when one factors in that the guy didn't want to be a Devil or living in America. 

It's a team with upside, and if Schneider plays like Schneider, and Brodeur can simply be decent when he plays, the Devils shouldn't implode. 

Re:  Zajac and Henrique, big year for both.  If Zajac has another low offensive-output season on Year 2 of a pretty big contract, fans are going to start to turn on him, and most of them aren't going to care about Corsis, Fenwicks, PDO, or other ubernerd numbers that might make him look better...most fans (rightly or wrongly) still see goals, assists, and +/-, and they are going to want to see '08-'09 and '09-'10-type seasons from Zajac, with or without Parise.  

As far as Henrique goes...I have no idea what he is.  He started off hot two seasons ago, cooled off, had some big playoff moments, then really didn't do much last season.  I think by the end of this season, we'll have a better idea of how much he can contribute offensively, and more important, if he really SHOULD be expected to contribute offensively. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#216 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,761 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:06 AM

In fairness, I think this is going to be a team we'll have to see actually play before we can even guess how good they're going to be...lots of new faces.  I'll admit I'm optimistic though.  To me, getting Kovy's contract off the books can't be seen as anything more than a major win, especially when one factors in that the guy didn't want to be a Devil or living in America. 

It's a team with upside, and if Schneider plays like Schneider, and Brodeur can simply be decent when he plays, the Devils shouldn't implode. 

Re:  Zajac and Henrique, big year for both.  If Zajac has another low offensive-output season on Year 2 of a pretty big contract, fans are going to start to turn on him, and most of them aren't going to care about Corsis, Fenwicks, PDO, or other ubernerd numbers that might make him look better...most fans (rightly or wrongly) still see goals, assists, and +/-, and they are going to want to see '08-'09 and '09-'10-type seasons from Zajac, with or without Parise.  

As far as Henrique goes...I have no idea what he is.  He started off hot two seasons ago, cooled off, had some big playoff moments, then really didn't do much last season.  I think by the end of this season, we'll have a better idea of how much he can contribute offensively, and more important, if he really SHOULD be expected to contribute offensively. 

as for Henrique while i was also one of the one saying that Henrique was not putting good numbers cause he was playing with Kovy and Zach but because he was simply great and everything and that it was actually the other way around that he was making Kovy and zach better..... well this may have been seen through blinders im afraid. 

I mean... looking at his hands and forecheck the kids has talent but i think we may have pumped his tires a bit and honestly his "big goal" he was simply Johnny on the spot pushing the puck in, and before that and other than his OT goal against Florida he wasnt much of a factor, lets be honest.

I still see good potential in this kid he's really mature and good on the PK and i really like his hands he was one of the only player willing to beat a guy one on one with a deke from our team and he will be a good leader.

I really want to see him succeed big time with us.

www.SterioDesign.com

#217 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:32 AM

as for Henrique while i was also one of the one saying that Henrique was not putting good numbers cause he was playing with Kovy and Zach but because he was simply great and everything and that it was actually the other way around that he was making Kovy and zach better..... well this may have been seen through blinders im afraid. 

I mean... looking at his hands and forecheck the kids has talent but i think we may have pumped his tires a bit and honestly his "big goal" he was simply Johnny on the spot pushing the puck in, and before that and other than his OT goal against Florida he wasnt much of a factor, lets be honest.

I still see good potential in this kid he's really mature and good on the PK and i really like his hands he was one of the only player willing to beat a guy one on one with a deke from our team and he will be a good leader.

I really want to see him succeed big time with us.

I agree with this.  However, he is terrific on the pk and a scoring threat there.

#218 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,587 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

I don't think Henrique's future is that hard to guess at.  Every season of his but one points to what he is - a 35-50 point per 82 games NHL forward who can contribute on the PK (whether he can contribute much on the PP is questionable).  So he makes a good 2nd line LW/C or great 3rd line LW/C.  

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#219 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,389 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

I don't think Henrique's future is that hard to guess at.  Every season of his but one points to what he is - a 35-50 point per 82 games NHL forward who can contribute on the PK (whether he can contribute much on the PP is questionable).  So he makes a good 2nd line LW/C or great 3rd line LW/C.  

Sounds about right, but based on the fast start he got off to two seasons ago, and some timely playoff goals, I think some think his upside might be higher.  This season should dispel that idea.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#220 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

I want to believe otherwise, but I think you're right about this. His production in the OHL 2 years after he was drafted is about as good as what you'd expect from a top prospect in their draft year. On top of that, he hasn't been too great in the AHL. I wish I could find another example of a player who did okay at the junior and AHL level, but then became a solid first liner, but I can't yet.

People get fooled by the fact that he held his own on a line with Parise and Kovalchuk, and didn't look out of place. This is an extreme example, but Palmieri didn't look awful when he was playing with Zajac and Kovlachuk, and look where he is now.

I think it's fair to expect Henrique to become a 2nd/3rd line player, even if we all hope he will achieve better than that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users