Photo

Your thought on today / about the team so far ?

• Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

#261 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,741 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

Sigh...

It's a messageboard, my apologies if I was not as precise as one would hope.  Neither you, nor I, have any idea how these negotiations go, or what stats a GM or agent finds or pretends to find persuasive, or the extent to which they do.  If you want to get hung up on syntax, more power to you.  So whether shot totals objectively correlate with goals scored is besides the point, and I didn't really dispute the concept anyway. 

The only other reason you said the idea was ludicrous was that Landeskog was younger, by a whopping 2 and half years.  Otherwise you just said he was "better", which of course begs the question, at least if what we're speculating about are contract demands.  I don't disagree with that by the way, but again, it's besides the point.

While I don't recall what your thoughts were at the time, Lou gave Clarkson a deal that many of us thought was ludicrous, and at a time when there was a serious cap crunch.  I don't think it's that unreasonable to speculate that Henrique's camp might be overplaying its hand. 

My thoughts at the time were I was on vacation and I don't think I ever posted about them during the off-season, but A: there wasn't a serious cap crunch when that contract was signed and B: Clarkson was arbtiration-eligible.  That contract paid off in spades, fwiw.

Edited by Triumph, 21 August 2013 - 02:24 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#262 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

Sigh...

It's a messageboard, my apologies if I was not as precise as one would hope.  Neither you, nor I, have any idea how these negotiations go, or what stats a GM or agent finds or pretends to find persuasive, or the extent to which they do.  If you want to get hung up on syntax, more power to you.  So whether shot totals objectively correlate with goals scored is besides the point, and I didn't really dispute the concept anyway. 

The only other reason you said the idea was ludicrous was that Landeskog was younger, by a whopping 2 and half years.  Otherwise you just said he was "better", which of course begs the question, at least if what we're speculating about are contract demands.  I don't disagree with that by the way, but again, it's besides the point.

While I don't recall what your thoughts were at the time, Lou gave Clarkson a deal that many of us thought was ludicrous, and at a time when there was a serious cap crunch.  I don't think it's that unreasonable to speculate that Henrique's camp might be overplaying its hand. 

Daniel

You need to chill out you are attacking everyone on every subject. Take a pill.

#263 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

Daniel

You need to chill out you are attacking everyone on every subject. Take a pill.

Uhh, I made a fairly innocuous point which wa clearly idle speculation and got attacked for it. I responded, and got exasperated when people continued to take what I said completely out of context.

To quote Walter, I'm perfectly calm dude,
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#264 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:43 PM

Uhh, I made a fairly innocuous point which wa clearly idle speculation and got attacked for it. I responded, and got exasperated when people continued to take what I said completely out of context.

To quote Walter, I'm perfectly calm dude,

It has happened more than once. Take two pills. Chill Out

#265 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:03 AM

I would hope that Henrique looks at a long term deal.  Idk, I would just rather see Henrique in a Devils uniform for 4-5 years rather than 1-2 year deal.  That's just me and my 2 cents. :mellow:

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#266 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:28 AM

Coming from the guy who makes it his mission to get under people's skin...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#267 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,982 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

The forum troll at its finest, ladies and gentlemen.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#268 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:01 AM

Coming from the guy who makes it his mission to get under people's skin... Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just learning from you

#269 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

Has anyone seen any predictions yet?  I am always down for some good laughs, and at this point I am just starving to read anything hockey.

Posted Image

#270 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

Just learning from you

See what I mean...

And Tri, Clarkson signed his extension on June 30, which was one day before the start of free agency.  It's a safe assumption that Lou knew what he would have had to pay for Tallinder and Volchenkov, and that there was going to be a push to sign Kovalchuk, and thus had an idea of what the cap situation would look like, or at least he should have.  I guess you could say that it was fair for him to expect that the original Kovalchuk deal with the smaller cap hit would have been approved though, but who knows.

Also, for the purposes of what we're talking about, it doesn't matter that Clarkson exceeded expectations (although I'll agree that arbitration affects the analysis).  Henrique might exceed expectations as well, the issue is whether it's fair to speculate that Henrique's camp thinks he can get more than everyone here is expecting. 

Posted Image

#271 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

See what I mean...

And Tri, Clarkson signed his extension on June 30, which was one day before the start of free agency.  It's a safe assumption that Lou knew what he would have had to pay for Tallinder and Volchenkov, and that there was going to be a push to sign Kovalchuk, and thus had an idea of what the cap situation would look like, or at least he should have.  I guess you could say that it was fair for him to expect that the original Kovalchuk deal with the smaller cap hit would have been approved though, but who knows.

Also, for the purposes of what we're talking about, it doesn't matter that Clarkson exceeded expectations (although I'll agree that arbitration affects the analysis).  Henrique might exceed expectations as well, the issue is whether it's fair to speculate that Henrique's camp thinks he can get more than everyone here is expecting. 

How do you know or speculate what anyone is thinking or either side of the Henrique signing? Henrique said it would get done and Lou said he is working on it.

#272 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

How do you know or speculate what anyone is thinking or either side of the Henrique signing? Henrique said it would get done and Lou said he is working on it.

I speculate, because on a hockey message board during the summer, it's fun to speculate.  That's what speculation is.

The basis of my speculation is that those comments were made more than a month ago, which seems like a long time to get a deal done, if both sides are seeing eye-to-eye.  In the meantime, you have a player in Landeskog, with at least superficially similar stats, getting a $36 million deal.  While even the most pigheaded and delusional agent wouldn't even pretend that Henrique should get that deal, it's not unreasonable to speculate that Henrique's camp thinks he can get signficantly more money than a lot of us are expecting. 

And buddy, your sole purpose on this board is to get under people's skin.  You're our version of Sean Avery.  In fact, it's been your MO since you were Get Real.

Edited by Daniel, 22 August 2013 - 12:36 PM.

Posted Image

#273 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

I speculate, because on a hockey message board during the summer, it's fun to speculate.  That's what speculation is.

The basis of my speculation is that those comments were made more than a month ago, which seems like a long time to get a deal done, if both sides are seeing eye-to-eye.  In the meantime, you have a player in Landeskog, with at least superficially similar stats, getting a $36 million deal.  While even the most pigheaded and delusional agent wouldn't even pretend that Henrique should get that deal, it's not unreasonable to speculate that Henrique's camp thinks he can get signficantly more money than a lot of us are expecting. 

And buddy, your sole purpose on this board is to get under people's skin.  You're our version of Sean Avery.  In fact, it's been your MO since you were Get Real.

If I bother you so much why do you reply to me. You seem like a know it all kid. Did you make the rules for summer speculation? BTW if I want to get under your skin you have seen nothing yet. You could heed the advise..."Get Real" But you are doing a good job of arguing with everyone all summer that doesn't agree with you.

#274 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

If I bother you so much why do you reply to me. You seem like a know it all kid. Did you make the rules for summer speculation? BTW if I want to get under your skin you have seen nothing yet. You could heed the advise..."Get Real" But you are doing a good job of arguing with everyone all summer that doesn't agree with you.

Glass houses, stones, and all.

First time I've heard that I might be in violation of any rules.  In any event, a topic of discussion is what Henrique's deal, and what the hold-up was.  I added my two cents.  People disagreed, and I responded. 

I find it a little more interesting than random posts that say "Marty sucks", "Lou's too old". 

Posted Image

#275 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:45 PM

RedPillBluePill_full.gif

Posted Image

#276 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:18 PM

like a bunch of little girls in here Jesus Christ.. place is starting to sound like hockeys future board over here..
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#277 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:03 PM

like a bunch of little girls in here Jesus Christ.. place is starting to sound like hockeys future board over here..

I'm asking for it by going into this further, but I think everyone knows this is what Get Real does. I don't know what I did to get in his crosshairs after all this time, but I'll give him credit that he really does know how to push peoples' buttons. I don't really get the motivation, the same way I don't know what drives fake twitter insiders. Maybe he just wants attention. Who knows?

The ignore function doesn't work particularly well, so I'll do what the Devils did against the Flyers in 2012.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image

#278 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

I'm asking for it by going into this further, but I think everyone knows this is what Get Real does. I don't know what I did to get in his crosshairs after all this time, but I'll give him credit that he really does know how to push peoples' buttons. I don't really get the motivation, the same way I don't know what drives fake twitter insiders. Maybe he just wants attention. Who knows?The ignore function doesn't work particularly well, so I'll do what the Devils did against the Flyers in 2012. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Love they analogy used at the end of your post

#279 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

this thread is turning into "Crossfire"!  This (Henrique) situation could  be similar what Subban was pushing for last year. (long term-mucho dinero) settling for bridge contract. In hindsight, Habs may have been better off taking it.  Now, Subban clearly in the drivers seat w/ Norris in hand.  Has the Habs by the cujones for sure. Henrique is no where near Subban's talent level, but agents' are always smarter than GM's, right?  I'll bet $$$ has been agreed upon, but length?  ...............nah maybe it's the snag?

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#280 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

this thread is turning into "Crossfire"! 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users