Photo

Your thought on today / about the team so far ?

• Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

#21 CAdevsfan

CAdevsfan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

When you consider the past few years where Lou has signed/traded for some guy few of us have ever heard of, this has been an interesting and enjoyable week. 

#22 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,297 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:03 PM

i'm pretty pumped with today but that had to do with olesz and ryder. i think the clowe deal was lou simply saying i need to put a clarkson type player in the clarkson hole. i would've preferred he went with brunner or stalberg for that spot. olesz plays the big forward role that the devils still want but someone with better wheels could've really been something.

when it comes to clowe, the proof is going to be how he compliments loktionov and kovalchuk. if you want to say that they're trying to upgrade nick palmieri from a couple years ago when he played with kovy and looked like an nhl'er, then we are in great shape.

ryder being a better sniper/scorer for elias and zajac might work really well.

what the devils got themselves today is a team that can give a lot of different looks and has some real forward depth - and one that can play deboer's system well.

also - these signings make the lou mid-season deal draft picks for random missing forward piece unnecessary which is good because the devils aren't in any position to do that next year.

Edited by sundstrom, 05 July 2013 - 10:05 PM.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#23 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,834 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:29 PM

i'm pretty pumped with today but that had to do with olesz and ryder. i think the clowe deal was lou simply saying i need to put a clarkson type player in the clarkson hole. i would've preferred he went with brunner or stalberg for that spot. olesz plays the big forward role that the devils still want but someone with better wheels could've really been something.

when it comes to clowe, the proof is going to be how he compliments loktionov and kovalchuk. if you want to say that they're trying to upgrade nick palmieri from a couple years ago when he played with kovy and looked like an nhl'er, then we are in great shape.

ryder being a better sniper/scorer for elias and zajac might work really well.

what the devils got themselves today is a team that can give a lot of different looks and has some real forward depth - and one that can play deboer's system well.

also - these signings make the lou mid-season deal draft picks for random missing forward piece unnecessary which is good because the devils aren't in any position to do that next year.

Agreed regarding Clowe. Although he's slow as molasses he has a solid shot, hits through people and can pass. I have no problem with the signing. The cap is going up and for whatever reason, Lou got the green light to go ahead and spend money. I'm not going to speculate on what that means going forward, but I think it's a good sign

Figure we have top 10 goaltending

Top 5 defense

And a boarder line top 10 offense.

Edited by SMantzas, 05 July 2013 - 10:32 PM.

#24 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:38 PM

Really happy with the moves that have been made this offseason. The Clowe deal might hurt in the long run but with the cap going up, it should be fine as long as he stays healthy. One thing he gives the team that they've missed is a guy who will go to the front of the net and get rebounds and put in garbage goals. That's where he'll be most effective as his speed won't be a factor. And as stupid as it sounds, he'll be a nice addition to our miserable shootout line-up. Maybe I'm too optimistic but I really like the signing overall. Heck, I'm happy with all the signings. Can't wait for the season to start.

believe-devs.jpg

#25 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:23 PM

The team upgraded the forwards and at goal. The defense needs an upgrade. Greene and Fayne are a solid pair. Larsson is unproven for a full year. Salvador, Volch, and Tallinder offer a little to the offense. The prospects are still prospects. But today at
Least Lou has fixed many holes up front (at least on paper), so it is a good day.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#26 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

I think New Jersey has a pretty good chance at winning the presidents trophy this year. Their PDO wwas 975 last season and if they can sustain similar possession numbers with a bounce back in sh% they are going to be ridiculously hard to beat.

http://nhlnumbers.co...l-team-april-22

That's how good NJ was. Their PP and PK shots for/allowed are near the top of the NHL as well.

This isn't far fetched at all. However, I think we still need that extra bit of scoring quality to put us into the NHL elite. As of tonight, we are definitely a solid playoff team. We need our younger players (henrique, JJ, lars) to step it up next season after a mediocre 2012-2013.

#27 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:53 PM

Really happy with the moves that have been made this offseason. The Clowe deal might hurt in the long run but with the cap going up, it should be fine as long as he stays healthy. One thing he gives the team that they've missed is a guy who will go to the front of the net and get rebounds and put in garbage goals. That's where he'll be most effective as his speed won't be a factor.

Good point re finally having a player that can get those garbage goals and drive to the net. We've been lacking there since parise left.

#28 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,038 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:57 PM

Nobody reloads better than Lou. This team has a lot more balance. Ryder is a guy who can pick corners, and the Devils don't have too many 'great' shooters. I think this team is built to be able to sustain an injury to Kovy much better than last years team. Most depth here since the spring of 2012.

#29 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:00 AM

The team is pretty stacked now, to be honest. Like others have said, better goaltending and puckluck WITH some better forwards, "oh my!".

I also love how we were supposedly broke and Lou signed players for a bazillion in the past week.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#30 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:15 AM

If Clowe and Ryder produce as they have been the last few seasons, and Zajac lives up to his contract, that alone shold put us in the playoffs.. If Schneider starts most games and Henrique, JJ has decent seasons as well we should be contenders with this team.

Posted Image

#31 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:09 AM

I was pretty pessimistic about the direction of the team heading into the offseason with the aging goalies, Elias unsigned, the glut of defenseman unresolved, the lack of an adequate replacement for Parise a year later and the looming draft pick penalty coming up for next years draft. What a difference a week makes! Obviously the goaltending and Elias were addressed. I think Ryder will look great playing with Elias and maybe Zajac and hopefully replaces the goal scoring Zach took to Minnesota. It now looks like we'll be giving up a pick in the 20's next season so I feel a lot better about that and we're hearing rumors that Lou is trying to move some salary in the back so that will hopefully clear the backlog of marginal aging defenseman.

Watching Clarkson drove me nuts so despite the somewhat ugly contract for Clowe, I'm happy we went in different direction there. Excited to see what Olesz brings to the bottom 6.

#32 Anhkheg

Anhkheg

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

Devils turned a corner this off season and the response of this board is a testament to that. When Lou signed Malakhov, everyone was up in arms and we know how that played out. Lets see what has happened so far.

1. Cory Schneider: a pure and total heist. Everyone in the league agrees he is a top 5 or top 10 goalie in this league. We traded Nichuskin for Cory Schneider (assuming the Devils would've picked Nichuskin). Its like trading a proven Marty Brodeur calibre goalie for an unproven prospect straight up.

2. Re-Signed Elias, Zubrus: The only negative is the price at which we signed them. I was hoping for Elias around 5mill AAV and Zubrus 2.5mill AAV.

3. Lost Clarkson: Total locker room guy and very well liked by the fans as well. I think Lou turned the page on him at the draft because Lou realized he would stay in Toronto which made it easy to chase the other FAs and address the Devils offensive needs. Also asking price for Clarkson was a little too high. We all know about his on ice coughing up the puck and hoarding the puck etc. Clarkson was at best a 3rd liner.

4. Ryan Clowe: The positive is if this guy pans out, we just added Clarkson + 3, he brings all the elements of Clarkson + skating + goals + assists. On a line with Loki+Kovy or Elias+Zajac, he will create room feed the puck to an open player, in my opinion, a major upgrade on Clarkson. The negative, his injuries. If this guy works out, it will be an awesome signing, if injuries, then lots of I told you so's. Now Lou has the medical reports to support the former. This could be an awesome signing.

5. Olesz: A depth move, very very low risk, great signing for 700k + 300k playing bonus. This guy has enormous potential as per PDB when he played for him in Fla. He has been out for an entire year, its a work in progress.

6. Michael Ryder: 2yrs/7mill. Who would've thunk it. Awesome player, awesome price and on a line with Kovy or Elias.

7. Lost Hedberg: Sigh. Obviously another likeable person with an amazing character, unfortunately, the Devils are at a franchise turning point where Marty is at the verge of retiring and it was a move any GM would have to make.

Additions: Legit #1 Goaltender, 2 top 6 forwards, another true top 6 project in Olesz

Retained: 2 top 6 forwards, + hopefully 2 top 6 RFA forwards (Zubrus and JJ could be considered top 9 but they have top 6 potential)

Subtractions: 1 Backup Goaltender, 1 top 9 forward, 4 bottom 6 forwards (Poni/Kostopolous/Sullivan/D'Agostini), 1 top 4 DMan

From a forwards perspective, I think the Devils are pretty stacked and set. I mean we have Tedenby, Gionta and Barch as the extra forwards and some AHLers like Reid up and coming.

The only place where I feel Lou needs to focus now is defense. The organization still does not have a legit #1 DMan. 2 things on Defense I'd like to see:

1. No true #1 #2 DMen to power the blue line

2. Soft, Slow and Old, no meanies, defense needs to get bigger, meaner and younger

Larsson, Greene, maybe Tallinder: Top 4 defensemen

Salvadore, Volchenkov, Fayne, Harrold: Bottom pairings

Larsson has some ways to go before being a top 2 tier Dman, he is not there yet, he may break out this year, who knows. Comparing these guys to Weber, Suter, Stevens, Neidermeyer or Doughty makes one realize how mediocre they are.

Now if the season could start tomorrow....

Edited by Anhkheg, 06 July 2013 - 11:51 AM.

#33 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,246 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

The moves were solid in that when one of our players goes down we don't have to fill our lines with the likes of the Kostopoulos' and D'Agostinis. Plus we don't have to rush any of our forwards from Albany in an emergency call up.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#34 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

If Lou could unload one of the bad D-contracts then I'm ranking this as one of the best Devils offseasons in...forever.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#35 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

Really really excited, we've improved so much over this past week and I don't see why we can't finish top 3 in our division. Ryder's my favorite signing from yesterday, 35 goals in 2012 with Dallas, was on pace for 29 in a full season in 2013. Adding Schneider is going to be huge for us as well, elite goalie which is easily Top 3 in our division as well.

Is it October yet?
25smul5.png

#36 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

I hope we see a lot of Elias at center and Henrique at wing. Also, I don't see Pete going with a "star studded" first line of Zajac, Kovy and Clowe. Instead he probably keeps Zajac and Kovalchuk together, while putting a good grinder (Matteau maybe if he makes the team) so they can both maximize his game.

I really hope we see some young defensemen making the team, and some old defensemen on the way out. 

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#37 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

Tedenby is still waiver-exempt, right? I wonder if he'll spend some time in the AHL. Otherwise, it seems like he'll be scratched quite a bit.

#38 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

Obviously better than before last Sunday.  Not stacked, but better. Still could use a legit PPQB though.

#39 NJDEVS1730

NJDEVS1730

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

Not a huge fan of Clowe, also feel like it was a reaction to Clarkson going to Toronto...

#40 socbrian

socbrian

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:07 PM

I can't find career stats for the new three in shootouts. If devils had maybe a few go the other way last year it could of ment playoffs. That was one part of the game we need to improve on.

Overall I like all the deals and I kinda hope we see clowe and zubs on the same line. Would be a big line for teams to match up too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users