112 replies to this topic

#61 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

Like that it means giving someone an opportunity, but Tallinder was (and still is) an excellent defenseman.

Overstatement of the year.  Tri, you must've had one too many bloody marys at brunch.  Tallinder is serviceable at best, and can't exactly stay healthy.

#62 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

I think people are jumping the gun on Volchenkov a little bit. Yes, he's slow and makes some mistakes, but not all defenseman have to be speed demons, and he still has some good NHL-level skills that he brings to the table. None of our other D-men come close to matching his level of ferocious, physical play, and we all know he is willing to sacrifice his body night in and night out blocking shots and taking hits. You need guys like that. He has been declining overall in his play but I think he can still be an effective role player for at least one more season, especially on the penalty kill. If you want to raise your pitchforks at someone, make it Salvador, not A-train.

As for Tallinder, I echo the sentiments of others that it's a shame that he was the odd-man out, as I always thought he was a steady, reliable d-man for us. It's too bad we couldn't get anything of value back for him, Buffalo really got a steal in this trade, but it was a necessity to make salary and roster space. If Zidlicky comes back, fine. If not, I hope one of the young guys earns the spot. We've been talking about some of these guys for a few seasons now, it would be nice to see one of them crack the line-up.

#63 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

I think most of you are delusional today.

- Tallinder will be a UFA next year. 

- Can't stay healthy - only played 64 games over the last two years.

- Makes $3.5 million, and will turn 35 during next season.

If the young guys are ready, why block them with an aging, serviceable defenseman who's overpaid and may not stay healthy to begin with?

#64 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

Good move. I'd rather have 7 good dmen than 8.

Sal Greene

Larsson Fayne

Volch Urbom/Gelinas/Merrill

Harrold

Next year, buy out Volch, move up another kid.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#65 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

I think most of you are delusional today.

- Tallinder will be a UFA next year. 

- Can't stay healthy - only played 64 games over the last two years.

- Makes $3.5 million, and will turn 35 during next season.

If the young guys are ready, why block them with an aging, serviceable defenseman who's overpaid and may not stay healthy to begin with?

Tallinder's major injury was a blood clot, which while people can be more or less prone to them, are treatable.  He was a healthy scratch for several games last year.

Tallinder is not overpaid.

Tallinder is likely better than the young D would be, and could even be much better.

I mean - yeah, I see the rationale for the move even absent the financial considerations, but the Devils are worse today.

Edited by Triumph, 07 July 2013 - 03:24 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#66 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

Would you guys want Gelinas or Urbom to take his place?

Honestly, who cares, whoever earns the job will have it, I just want whichever is going to contribute. Also, add Merrill and Severson to your list.
6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#67 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,935 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

I don't know how anyone can be happy about salary dump until we see what Lou does with it. If you love Tallinder or not, the Devils defense does not get better with Harrold and one of the rookies playing a lot more. 

You expect Salvador to struggle at times. Everyone last year was giving it to Volchenkov. You aren't sure what you'll get from Larsson. Tallinder would have been nice to have. Now even if this was expected or not, still not a wonderful move.

Another thing: I think the return for Tallinder goes to show how little respect the Devils defense gets around the league. It has the "no-name defense" label for a while now, and I think this only perpetuates it a bit. It took the only other team that's ever know him to get a deal done. Remember, team USA didn't even ask Andy Greene if he wanted to play last year at the World Championships. And they ended up taking Chris Butler, Justin Faulk, Matt Hunwick and Jake Trouba on D.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#68 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

I think long term, they benefit from playing the kids. Even if a guy like Urbom is a downgrade from Tally, he needs the experience, and he's not going to get it with Tally playing. 2 or 3 years down th eline, we'll hopefully appreciate this move working out. If we don't, it's because our young dmen aren't as good as we hoped, not because it wasn't a smart move.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#69 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

Really don't think tallinder getting traded makes us worse.
For starters, I value tallinder a little more than the majority of Devils fans do. I really think he got the short end of the stick here. With that said, the guy barely plays. He wasn't making much of an impact over the last 3 seasons.

#70 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

I don't know how anyone can be happy about salary dump until we see what Lou does with it. If you love Tallinder or not, the Devils defense does not get better with Harrold and one of the rookies playing a lot more. 

You expect Salvador to struggle at times. Everyone last year was giving it to Volchenkov. You aren't sure what you'll get from Larsson. Tallinder would have been nice to have. Now even if this was expected or not, still not a wonderful move.

Another thing: I think the return for Tallinder goes to show how little respect the Devils defense gets around the league. It has the "no-name defense" label for a while now, and I think this only perpetuates it a bit. It took the only other team that's ever know him to get a deal done. Remember, team USA didn't even ask Andy Greene if he wanted to play last year at the World Championships. And they ended up taking Chris Butler, Justin Faulk, Matt Hunwick and Jake Trouba on D.

I think sending Henrik to the Sabres was a favor to Henrik, not necessarily a comment on his value.

Faulk is better than Greene, and even so, the US has typically used the World Championships as a trying ground for young players.  I can't imagine they actually thought someone like Jake Trouba was better than Greene.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#71 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,936 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

Cap aside they couldn't have another season of the 8-D abomination that stunted Larsson and Fayne last year.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#72 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

With an aging Tallinder I like it
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#73 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

I think sending Henrik to the Sabres was a favor to Henrik, not necessarily a comment on his value.

Faulk is better than Greene, and even so, the US has typically used the World Championships as a trying ground for young players. I can't imagine they actually thought someone like Jake Trouba was better than Greene.

This. I think the lame return was because buffalo knew they had Lou in a spot where he needed to dump cap and he wanted to do well by Tallinder.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#74 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

I knew it.  Good move for the Devils.   We have too many young defensemen that are quicker, less injury prone, and a lot more offensive upside.   Hopefully, this gets us Zidlicky.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#75 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

This was a necessary move to free up the log jam.  I think it's going to be Merrill who gets the spot.  His short stay in Albany was much like Zajac's prior to his first NHL season.  I'm not sure what happens with Urbom from here.  They'll make it look like a competition in camp but unless Merrill totally bombs I'd bet the house on him being on the roster opening night.

#76 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

Larsson is taking Tallinders minutes. Merrill will be brought along slowly like all young defenseman. If he makes the big team.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#77 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

I don't get to watch every game because I'm in South Jersey where there's no MSG. But when I did get to see the Devs play, and Tallinder had the puck, it seemed to me as often as not he just coughed it up to the nearest opposing forward. I must have missed the games where he was a good to excellent defenseman, because he was mostly awful when I was watching.

I would like to see the kids play as well, to see if any of them has what it takes. We've gotten an upgrade in goal, so NOW is the time.

Edited by jim777, 07 July 2013 - 08:04 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#78 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,397 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:04 PM

As has been said before, this is a move that needed to be made. Like it or not, it was clear that Tallinder was considered expendable last season. His contract is the easiest to get rid of, he still has skill and we need to make room for our young D.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#79 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,391 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

I liked a lot about Talinder but I did find him frustrating. But I felt like he was sincere. That could be read as weak. I feel the Devils sacrificed value for sure. But it's probably the best all-around option for both teams and players. It's a decent karma move.

I'm far from heaving a deep sigh of relief ill tell you that much, nor am I too cut up. Fair enough is about what I can muster

I'm here for the party

#80 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:26 PM

Maybe this also means that there wasn't any thing else out their for Lou other then a crap return. And this doesn't make us any worse.

Edited by CarterforPresident, 07 July 2013 - 08:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users