Photo

Who will be the new Assistant Coach... Thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,730 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

I would love to see Timex behind the bench. :wub:

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#22 thighway

thighway

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:48 PM

John MacLean?

Oh, nevermind.

#23 D88

D88

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:46 AM

We need this Ass. Coach especially for the PP right?  What about Scott Niedermayer (even i don't know what his Coaching Duties in Anaheim are - Def / PP / PK etc.). Just to see Niedermayer and Stevens together on the Devils Bench would be awesome. I'm also fine with Brylin but maybe someone more experienced would be nice.

At least we need someone who can figure out our PP. Since Oates and Shaw (who had good PP's with their former Teams TB - ranked 8th  and SJ - ranked 4th, 2nd, 2nd) could not solve our problems in that area i hope the "New PP" will not use Kovy at the left Point. Really EVERYBODY (even in the Australian desert) knows where the puck will be passed next........

Edited by D88, 10 July 2013 - 04:46 AM.

Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice is also great, and would suffice.
Robert Frost

#24 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

Shaw wasn't behind the bench in the literal sense.

(So how many of you have been driven INSANE by everyone using "literally" as much as a Valley girl uses "like"? )

My priority is to do something about the misuse of "begs the question" instead of "raises the question", and describing a coincidence as "ironic" (isn't it ironic that Seth Jones' father played basketball in Denver and he might be drafted by the Avalanche). 

I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring here, and add my personal pet peeve:  "I could care less."

Dude...if you could care less, that means you care a little.

It's couldn't care less.

Ugh...just makes me wanna...ooh...

[bites fist]

Agreed on all of these. And too many others to count. My mom bought me a shirt that says "I am the grammarian about whom your mother warned you."

My biggest pet peeve, though, is misuse of plurals/singulars from Latin (the Latin teacher in me just cringes). One out of a group of alumni is an alumnus (unless it's a girl, then she's an alumna), the plural of cactus is cacti.

I'm willing to draw the line at weird words (the plural of octopus should be octopeds, but whatevs) and Greek words (rhinoceros should be pluralized rhinoceroses), but if it's a regularly used English word that follows a pattern, we should be able to handle it, damnit.

Also, incorrect use of apostrophes really sets me off.

Edited by mouse, 10 July 2013 - 09:56 AM.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#25 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

Agreed on all of these. And too many others to count. My mom bought me a shirt that says "I am the grammarian about whom your mother warned you."

My biggest pet peeve, though, is misuse of plurals/singulars from Latin (the Latin teacher in me just cringes). One out of a group of alumni is an alumnus (unless it's a girl, then she's an alumna), the plural of cactus is cacti.

I'm willing to draw the line at weird words (the plural of octopus should be octopeds, but whatevs) and Greek words (rhinoceros should be pluralized rhinoceroses), but if it's a regularly used English word that follows a pattern, we should be able to handle it, damnit.

Also, incorrect use of apostrophes really sets me off.

Can't you just be easy and say Rhinos?  Jesus fvck this thread makes me want to blow my brains out

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#26 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

Can't you just be easy and say Rhinos?  Jesus fvck this thread makes me want to blow my brains out

Yes, but the idea here is that if you are speaking your native language, you've been speaking it for quite some time. Since you've have practiced this so much, you should be able to recognize the obvious patterns and not make glaring mistakes such as using an incorrect plural form of a common word.

It's like anything else, if you met someone who said they worked on BMWs every day for 20 years, you'd trust that they'd not make a stupid mistake, right? If they did, you'd assume they were lacking intelligence because how else could one make a stupid mistake doing something that they've been practicing daily for decades. Same goes for language.

Edited by ATLL765, 10 July 2013 - 01:42 PM.

#27 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

Yes, but the idea here is that if you are speaking your native language, you've been speaking it for quite some time. Since you've have practiced this so much, you should be able to recognize the obvious patterns and not make glaring mistakes such as using an incorrect plural form of a common word.

It's like anything else, if you met someone who said they worked on BMWs every day for 20 years, you'd trust that they'd not make a stupid mistake, right? If they did, you'd assume they were lacking intelligence because how else could one make a stupid mistake doing something that they've been practicing daily for decades. Same goes for language.

I don't really care about typos in message board posts or imperfect grammar.   It's more when people badly misuse fancy sounding words or expressions in an attempt to appear sophisticated. 

It's especially annoying when it comes from people that make a living speaking.  Michael Kay badly overuses and misuses the word "ironic".  (It's ironic that CC Sabathia is pitching against Oakland, considering that he grew up there). 

Perhaps we can create an off-topic thread where people can bring out their inner-grammar nazi.

(Edited for incorrect use of "there" instead of "their").

Edited by Daniel, 10 July 2013 - 02:29 PM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#28 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

I don't really care about typos in message board posts or imperfect grammar.   It's more when people badly misuse fancy sounding words or expressions in an attempt to appear sophisticated. 

It's especially annoying when it comes from people that make a living speaking.  Michael Kay badly overuses and misuses the word "ironic".  (It's ironic that CC Sabathia is pitching against Oakland, considering that he grew up there). 

Perhaps we can create an off-topic thread where people can bring out there inner-grammar nazi.

Agreed on all fronts, I'm cool with most typos on message boards. I've posted when tired, anyone posting on an iphone fvcks up sometimes, and not everyone has the same grasp of English. It's the blatantly bad usage in real life that gets to me. But since I've contributed to the hijacking of an otherwise great thread, I'm with you on the starting a grammar Nazi thread.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#29 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

Think Lou might bring Albelin back to NJ? Maybe keep Kowalski in Albany, put Sarge as asst  In Albany.  Is bobby Carpenter doing anything ?

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#30 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,730 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

Think Lou might bring Albelin back to NJ? Maybe keep Kowalski in Albany, put Sarge as asst  In Albany.  Is bobby Carpenter doing anything ?

All good ideas.  Me likey.

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#31 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:26 AM

Grammar nazis should go suck on some scrota.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users