Photo

Devils sign Cam Janssen, two-way, 1 year.

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,467 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:51 AM

Unless you plan on watching Albany games, there's nothing to complain about here.

Hear what you're saying, but there's just about no upside to any of the guys Tri listed.  Heaven forbid some of the Devils' scoring forwards start getting hurt...the Albany pipeline seems pretty non-existent at this point.  That Albany team is going to struggle to average much more than 2 GPG. 

Devils could be good next season, but only if everyone manages to stay relatively healthy.  If replacements from Albany are necessary...yikes.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#22 Aznjsn

Aznjsn

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

Jeez you guys are over-reacting a bit, as if he's going to be a regular in our lineup. He played a total of FOUR games last year. He was signed for league minimum. Let him play a game or two vs the Flyers for when the blood boils over, because I'm sure you don't want our $5M man Clowe breaking his fist over Simmonds face.

RELAX. DAMN.

Put food on my family

#23 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

Jeez you guys are over-reacting a bit, as if he's going to be a regular in our lineup. He played a total of FOUR games last year. He was signed for league minimum. Let him play a game or two vs the Flyers for when the blood boils over, because I'm sure you don't want our $5M man Clowe breaking his fist over Simmonds face.

RELAX. DAMN.

100% agree and I also like the idea of bringing him up for Flyers games.. I hate playing that team just knowing that they'll run around throwing ridiculously late checks for no reason and doing stupid crap after the play.. We already know we can spot them 2 goals and still win with our forecheck, why bother risking injury.. Let Cam go to town on Giroux or Lecav if (more like when) they resort back to their Broad Street Goonie shenanigans

I think it's awesome to have Cam around our AHL guys

Edited by Colin226, 09 July 2013 - 08:26 AM.

Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#24 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,880 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

RELAX. DAMN.

Cam Janssen will never fight Wayne Simmonds.  Never.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#25 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

Cam Janssen will never fight Wayne Simmonds. Never.

I dare you to tell him that :P
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#26 Devs1965

Devs1965

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

Could be worse............. um well no not really welcome back Cam!! :doh1:

#27 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

nooooooooooooo

#28 shornick

shornick

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

Scoring problems solved!
Why not have him down in the minors. Good aggressive guy with no hockey skills but plenty of heart.

#29 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,854 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

100% agree and I also like the idea of bringing him up for Flyers games.. I hate playing that team just knowing that they'll run around throwing ridiculously late checks for no reason and doing stupid crap after the play.. We already know we can spot them 2 goals and still win with our forecheck, why bother risking injury.. Let Cam go to town on Giroux or Lecav if (more like when) they resort back to their Broad Street Goonie shenanigans I think it's awesome to have Cam around our AHL guys

Disagree fully. When the Devils crushed Philly in the playoffs in 2012, it's because they stayed out of that garbage and focused on playing hockey. The more they did that, the more frustrated Philly got and started focusing on the game within the game a little more than actually playing hockey.

#30 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

I have said this a few times before but i dont think Cam has ever been singed to a contract because of his hockey ability. He is a locker room guy, he brings energy, a smile and positive attitude for the league minimum. There has to be a reason he was kept around the team for the SC final push in 11-12.

He seems like a popular guy and Lou is clearly fond of him, and  Lets face it someone is going to have to energise the team in Albany.

He is a real life Doug Glatt.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#31 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,339 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

He for sure is being groomed for Rob Skrlac's role.

I'm here for the party

#32 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

I don't get what the big deal is with the Pelly and Cam signings.  Some of you guys are acting like this is a huge negative or something.

There's no saying he's going to be playing, he's probably just going to beat the sh!t out of people in the AHL.  Devils have plenty of space for extra contracts, the money is a non-issue..so..who cares?

Good old Lou probably just wanted to give Cam a job.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#33 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

Cam Janssen will never fight Wayne Simmonds.  Never.

Simmonds will see Cam on the ice and laugh all his way to the slot, rather than fight a career minor leaguer.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#34 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,467 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

I don't get what the big deal is with the Pelly and Cam signings.  Some of you guys are acting like this is a huge negative or something.

There's no saying he's going to be playing, he's probably just going to beat the sh!t out of people in the AHL.  Devils have plenty of space for extra contracts, the money is a non-issue..so..who cares?

Good old Lou probably just wanted to give Cam a job.

No one is expecting that these guys are going to be major players for the Devils, and everyone knows that AHL teams aren't stacked with blue-chip prospects...every AHL team has its share of career-AHLers and guys who aren't even that good in the AHL, let alone the NHL.

That being said, I've seen enough of Rod Pelley and Cam Janssen.  There's nothing going on there.  I guess I'd just rather see Lou fill those spots with guys that have a minimum of upside, even if it's just that:  minimal.  Lou has had some luck with undrafted players...why not go that route?  Chances are whoever he finds aren't going to contribute that much more than Pelley and Janssen, but at least there's something bordering on hope.  Pelley and Janssen are pretty much zilches. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 09 July 2013 - 11:18 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#35 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

i love it, yes.

how many games did cam play the last year devils went to the SCF? right, period.

we need more jam.

Posted Image

#36 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

No one is expecting that these guys are going to be major players for the Devils, and everyone knows that AHL teams aren't stacked with blue-chip prospects...every AHL team has its share of career-AHLers and guys who aren't even that good in the AHL, let alone the NHL.

That being said, I've seen enough of Rod Pelley and Cam Janssen.  There's nothing going on there.  I guess I'd just rather see Lou fill those spots with guys that have a minimum of upside, even if it's just that:  minimal.  Lou has had some luck with undrafted players...why not go that route?  Chances are whoever he finds aren't going to contribute that much more than Pelley and Janssen, but at least there's something bordering on hope.  Pelley and Janssen are pretty much zilches. 

Each of them serves a purpose.  If the dam breaks loose so far as injuries, you can count on Pelley to plug in a roster spot.   Perhaps if two of the CBGB line got hurt.  I'd rather have Pelley fill that role than Sestito.

Janssen is the goon on hand in case something happens to Barch. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#37 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

hope zalewski gets minutes over pelley

Posted Image

#38 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,432 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

Yeah im somewhat agreeing with this. We cant just think "oh well they are not gonna play in the NHL..." Well its those guys that our young prospects are playing with and trying to learn from lol i dont know why Lou didnt try to get that Sarault guy from Sarnia who was playing with Boucher, he finished on top of the AHL in points. Sign him to a tryout or something, id rather see them try a guy like thst who could have some upsides than signing a goon whos never really gonna help the team. Named thst guy as an example of course but theres many good young undrafted players that id want over janssen in our farm team.

www.SterioDesign.com

#39 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:33 PM

I think Cam was brought back for off ice reasons mostly. He's totally bought into the Devil's team concept, and that may be something that Lou wants around the younger guys. What better way to start dishing out Koolaid than to have someone who overdoses on the stuff? A lot of his team mates have stated he's a great locker room guy, and that may be something the organization wants permeating through the Boucher's and Merril's etc etc. Just an idea. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#40 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:10 PM

Yeah im somewhat agreeing with this. We cant just think "oh well they are not gonna play in the NHL..." Well its those guys that our young prospects are playing with and trying to learn from lol i dont know why Lou didnt try to get that Sarault guy from Sarnia who was playing with Boucher, he finished on top of the AHL in points. Sign him to a tryout or something, id rather see them try a guy like thst who could have some upsides than signing a goon whos never really gonna help the team. Named thst guy as an example of course but theres many good young undrafted players that id want over janssen in our farm team.

The AHL can get a little nutty on the ice. You need guys like Rod and Cam that will make teams accountable. They need to protect what assets we do have down there.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users