#321 Steadevils

Steadevils

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:24 AM

Win/win Manta, really.

Either he contributes, Devils make the playoffs, season's a success.

or..

They miss the playoffs, and potentially acquire some draft picks for him at the deadline, success.

I agree, but, to be fair, with a 40 yr old you have to also add..OR he gets hurt and has no value and we spent XX.XX Mil.

"I realized from Day 1 the way I played I'd never be a Gretzky or a Lemieux, well, a Mario I mean. I was never going to be a player to get standing ovations in a visitors' building."

-- Claude Lemieux - May 7, 1999

#322 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,447 posts

Win/win Manta, really.

Either he contributes, Devils make the playoffs, season's a success.

or..

They miss the playoffs, and potentially acquire some draft picks for him at the deadline, success.

Hm?  Or what could even be the most likely scenario, he stays the whole season and NJ misses the playoffs by not much.  

The Devils won't be able to be stopped once they gain the offensive zone.  Gaining the zone will be the issue.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#323 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Hope this is true...

JAGR BABY!

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#324 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

Yuck is right.

Who else said yuck?

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#325 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,950 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

I agree, but, to be fair, with a 40 yr old you have to also add..OR he gets hurt and has no value and we spent XX.XX Mil.

Who cares about what they spend on a one-year deal? Especially after we just got $11 million off the payroll...
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#326 losdiablos103

losdiablos103

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

ummmm..  it's reported to be confirmed..  

Posted Image Posted Image

#327 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

Hm? Or what could even be the most likely scenario, he stays the whole season and NJ misses the playoffs by not much.

The Devils won't be able to be stopped once they gain the offensive zone. Gaining the zone will be the issue.

I think this is a playoff team. We missed the playoffs last year "not by much", and from last year's squad we're adding Schneider, Clowe, Ryder, Olesz, Jagr and losing Clarkson. I'd even go as far as to say if last years squad (even with the Kovalchuk injury) had Schneider we're much closer to playoff contention. I would bet money that, with good health, this team is a middle-of-the-pack playoff team: between 4-6 seed.

I don't see how anyone could be upset about this move. Who on our current roster would you rather see than Jagr? Tedenby?

Edited by Martyisth3b3st, 22 July 2013 - 10:33 AM.

Posted Image

#328 Steadevils

Steadevils

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

Who cares about what they spend on a one-year deal? Especially after we just got $11 million off the payroll...

I certainly don't care (not my $), but I can tell you that someone would "care" about losing that money even with the 11 mil coming off..All i was trying to show is that it is not a no-risk (win-win) investment. Personally, I like the move.

"I realized from Day 1 the way I played I'd never be a Gretzky or a Lemieux, well, a Mario I mean. I was never going to be a player to get standing ovations in a visitors' building."

-- Claude Lemieux - May 7, 1999

#329 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

I think this is a playoff team. We missed the playoffs last year "not by much", and from last year's squad we're adding Schneider, Clowe, Ryder, Olesz, Jagr and losing Clarkson. I'd even go as far as to say if last years squad (even with the Kovalchuk injury) had Schneider we're much closer to playoff contention. I would bet money that, with good health, this team is a middle-of-the-pack playoff team: between 4-6 seed.

I don't see how anyone could be upset about this move. Who on our current roster would you rather see than Jagr? Tedenby?

I think the only way you can be upset is if you wanted Brunner (assuming they don't sign him) but if the worst case is they miss the playoffs by a little, we can deal. Plus having a Jagr devils jersey is blowing my mind

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#330 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

Soooo

Elias-Zajac-Ryder
Clowe-Loktionov-Jagr (holy smokes that's a slow line!)
Henrique-Josefson-Zubrus
Olesz-Carter-Bernier

Love that depth with Gionta and Tedenby as extras.

#331 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,447 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

No, I agree with most of this (in principle).  But I think it's more likely that NJ misses the playoffs and doesn't trade Jagr than that they miss the playoffs and trade him.  (I guess I don't think the most likely outcome is NJ missing the playoffs while keeping Jagr, that's absurd)

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#332 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

No, I agree with most of this (in principle).  But I think it's more likely that NJ misses the playoffs and doesn't trade Jagr than that they miss the playoffs and trade him.  (I guess I don't think the most likely outcome is NJ missing the playoffs while keeping Jagr, that's absurd)

Well, conspiracy theory here: What if we play Jagr a ton in the first half, then try to trade him at the deadline? Get all you can out of him, then dump him on someone else for the portion of the season he'd slow down in and if you can get a decent pick for it, awesome. Maybe it's LL plan to get back a first for next year. I'd say there's a 1 in 10,000,000 chance this happens though.

#333 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

Only way I see us missing the playoffs and still having Jagr is if we are in a close battle for the 8th seed come the deadline....

I would want to keep him for a push to get in the playoffs in that scenario.

I really see us making it with plenty of breathing room, a 4-6 seed as someone else said....and we go into postseason battle with #68

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#334 nick17112

nick17112

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

1 Year $3.5 million Hell Yeah

Edited by nick17112, 22 July 2013 - 10:58 AM.

Zach Parise - Gone but not forgotten!!!!!

#335 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

No, I agree with most of this (in principle). But I think it's more likely that NJ misses the playoffs and doesn't trade Jagr than that they miss the playoffs and trade him. (I guess I don't think the most likely outcome is NJ missing the playoffs while keeping Jagr, that's absurd)

I was more referring to your comment alone rather than your comment in context of the reply, my fault. I think there is slightly less than 1% chance the Devils trade Jagr.. This isn't a bottom 10 team, we will be competing for a playoff spot in Marty's last season if we aren't solidly sitting in one, there isn't much of a scenario I can see where he is traded

Well, conspiracy theory here: What if we play Jagr a ton in the first half, then try to trade him at the deadline? Get all you can out of him, then dump him on someone else for the portion of the season he'd slow down in and if you can get a decent pick for it, awesome. Maybe it's LL plan to get back a first for next year. I'd say there's a 1 in 10,000,000 chance this happens though.

This is just silly

1 Year $3.5 million Hell Yeah

According to...

Edited by Martyisth3b3st, 22 July 2013 - 11:15 AM.

Posted Image

#336 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

There's two jagr threads now??..

#337 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,807 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

Where did this 3.5m term come from?

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#338 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

Where did this 3.5m term come from?

Same place the signing did I am guessing...

Nothing official whatsoever

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users