337 replies to this topic

#61 nick17112

nick17112

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

Well said Jas0nMacIsaac. Those numbers are crucial, can't judge a player on just G's and A's
Zach Parise - Gone but not forgotten!!!!!

#62 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

How much would you pay him to make it happen?

Somewhere between 2 and 3 mil, with bonuses if he wants them. 1 year deal, team option for a second (or no option, just not a player option). I'm not expecting him to be a superstar, and I wouldn't play him like one, but if he wants a Cup rather than money, I'd take him in a sec.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#63 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

Would like to see him in a Shannahan's 2nd stint type role with the team.

I don't think the Devils really give bonuses... or if they do they are very rare (olesz) 2 Million and the price is right.

I'd buy a Jagr t-shirt.
Posted Image

#64 shornick

shornick

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

For the right price he'd still be a great addition. He is still one of the first on/last off guys who is a great example of having to work hard no matter what you've accomplished. Perfect guy to have for the younger guys on the team.
Not the player he once was but always demands attention on the ice which opens up space for others. Just don't overpay, please.

#65 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

What number would he wear!!!

Devils.

#66 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

I think ala Mogilny and Gilmour Lou would make an exception ;)

#67 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

Oh good, strat-a-matic numbers.   

He played 20+ playoff games with a great center and wing in Bergeron and Marchand,  had ample minutes on the powerplay and produced NOTHING.     Which is why Boston passed on him even though Horton left and they went after Iginla.   Jagr is too slow and old.    Fortunately, Boston looks at performance on the ice, not on irrelevant numbers.

Manta, you're treading on thin ice.  These stat geeks will cut you down in a heartbeat.  Because if Corsi says it's true, then it OBVIOUSLY is.  :doh1:   Nevermind that a "goal-scoring" player brought in at the trade deadline scored zero goals in the playoffs.

Of course, Krejci led the entire league in playoff points with 26 (next closest was 19), but according to the bible that is Corsi, he was terrible:  the 20th best player on the BRUINS.

Edited by Z-Man, 10 July 2013 - 10:15 AM.

#68 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

Manta, you're treading on thin ice. These stat geeks will cut you down in a heartbeat. Because if Corsi says it's true, then it OBVIOUSLY is. :doh1: Nevermind that a "goal-scoring" player brought in at the trade deadline scored zero goals in the playoffs.

Of course, Krejci led the entire league in playoff points with 26 (next closest was 19), but according to the bible that is Corsi, he was terrible: the 20th best player on the BRUINS.

I don't think that is what anyone is saying. All they are saying is Jagr still has enough left in the tank to be an effective player. Going into the playoffs, if you were told Boston is a finals team but jagr wouldn't score, you would have assumed be played AWFUL because that's his job, to score goals. All those numbers say is that while Jagr wasn't able to score, it doesn't mean he was totally out of place

#69 JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

I think ala Mogilny and Gilmour Lou would make an exception ;)

Will Ryder get to wear 73 ?

#70 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

7 is available :)

Devils.

#71 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

My money's on 15, just a hunch.

I think for Jagr the organization would make one of their rare exceptions and let him wear 68, a la Alex Mogilny and 89.
25smul5.png

#72 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

My money's on 15, just a hunch.
I think for Jagr the organization would make one of their rare exceptions and let him wear 68, a la Alex Mogilny and 89.

And Gilmour with 93. As with all things, Lou isn't as inflexible as people think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#73 bekim

bekim

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

lol, love how this has shifted from -- is it feasible to sign jagr (money, fit, interest) to what # he'd wear. :-)

#74 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

What exactly is the reason for Lou's 35 and under rule?
6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#75 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

tradition

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#76 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

What exactly is the reason for Lou's 35 and under rule?

It goes with the whole 'it's not the name on the back that matters, it's the logo on the front' mentality. It's about team first, and things like your number shouldn't be anything other than how they identify you quickly. Most players say they never even picked their number. It was hanging in their locker when they got called up.

But that's why he's let some players who were already established with a number outside of the organization wear it when they came here, like Richer #44, Mogilny #89, and Gilmour #93.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#77 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

Bernie Nicholls asked for #98 when he arrived after Lou traded for him...Lou told him no.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#78 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

I doubt it. Lou's reasoning seems to be based of off respect for accomplished players.. whom have a reasonable trajectory of being HOF material. Both Almo & Killer were accomplished players before coming to NJ. Likewise, few people realize\remember the impact of signing Stephane Richer for that matter.. thus; LL allowed him to keep his #44 aswell. His career tailored off when he came to Jersey (because players bought into playing the neutral-zone-trap) however, prior to that he was one of the best LWer's in the entire league! When the Devils got him, he was a already a 2x 50 goal scorer, a 3x NHL All-Star, and a Stanley Cup Champion.. and he was still only 25 years old!! I was estatic when we got him! --and he remains one of my all-time favorite players.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#79 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

I doubt it. Lou's reasoning seems to be based of off respect for accomplished players.. whom have a reasonable trajectory of being HOF material. Both Almo & Killer were accomplished players before coming to NJ. Likewise, few people realizeremember the impact of signing Stephane Richer for that matter.. thus; LL allowed him to keep his #44 aswell. His career tailored off when he came to Jersey (because players bought into playing the neutral-zone-trap) however, prior to that he was one of the best LWer's in the entire league! When the Devils got him, he was a already a 2x 50 goal scorer, a 3x NHL All-Star, and a Stanley Cup Champion.. and he was still only 25 years old!! I was estatic when we got him! --and he remains one of my all-time favorite players.

It's off topic, but the trap doesn't necessarily sacrifice offense. It's just as much designed to create an effective counterattack. The problem is when both teams play it, it becomes a prisoners dilemma of sorts. Richer's point total actually went up compared to his last year in Montreal.

The reason scoring declined from the live puck era is 80 percent the result of better goaltending. Scoring is still nowhere near 80s level, despite all of the rules that are designed to create offense that didn't exist in the 80s (no red line, trapezoid, no head shots, just to name a few).

Sorry it's off topic, but I generally feel the need to respond to blaming everything on the trap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#80 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,237 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

My bet is that Ryder wears #9

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users