91 replies to this topic

#21 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

Wow, this is a great move by Lou.   Work the kids in slowly, but allows Larsson to take Talinders minutes and more responsibility.

I am actually very excited for this team right now.

Same, I like this signing. Still kind of bummed that Tallinder had to be the one to go, but I can deal with it. 

I haven't felt this excited about a Devils team in a very long time!

#22 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,475 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

i'd like to imagine that if Lou made this move its that he's very confident that he can either 1 - move either volchenkov or Salvador or 2- There's a possible package could send a guy like Fayne ++ and bring back something decent.

There's no way we can go back in the season with 8dmen again, it was fvcking ridiculous

Devils only have 7 NHL defenseman.  I don't think that Volchenkov, Salvador, or Zidlicky are likely to go through the whole season without missing some games and it's not unusual for any defenseman to end up missing a handful of games.

So the Devils keep the 7 NHL guys on the roster, rotating Harrold in for rest breaks every ones in a while, but when you need a defenseman to fill in for 3-5 or more games, that's when you bring up whomever is playing the best in the minors.

A trade could be coming, but the Devils aren't running with 8 defenseman right now, they're running with 7.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#23 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

no trade necessary at this time

greene-larsson

salvador-zidlicky

volchenkov-fayne

harrold

if any of the four kids (gelinas, merril, severson or urbom) impress enough at camp, they'll have made their way into the top 6 and then a trade might happen. i could also see lou go with tedenby/barch/harrold as the 3 regular scratches and use the kids as injury callups (which will assuredly happen). it doesn't make sense to pencil in one of those 4 as a #6 or a #7 right now.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#24 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,735 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:39 PM

Devils only have 7 NHL defenseman.  I don't think that Volchenkov, Salvador, or Zidlicky are likely to go through the whole season without missing some games and it's not unusual for any defenseman to end up missing a handful of games.

So the Devils keep the 7 NHL guys on the roster, rotating Harrold in for rest breaks every ones in a while, but when you need a defenseman to fill in for 3-5 or more games, that's when you bring up whomever is playing the best in the minors.

A trade could be coming, but the Devils aren't running with 8 defenseman right now, they're running with 7.

thats true i keep forgetting (somehow) that Tallinder is gone lol

www.SterioDesign.com

#25 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,475 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:39 PM

Severson likely going back to the WHL pretty much means he won't be an in season call up, I imagine.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#26 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

i'd like to imagine that if Lou made this move its that he's very confident that he can either 1 - move either volchenkov or Salvador or 2- There's a possible package could send a guy like Fayne ++ and bring back something decent.

There's no way we can go back in the season with 8dmen again, it was fvcking ridiculous

I'd rather stay away from moving Fayne. I like the pieces we have in our team. I would've only used Fayne as trade bait for some offensive fire a couple weeks ago, which now we've got, imo. Fayne's been really solid the past year or two, and he could be the guy we keep around for some consistency, to try and build around; he's only 26.

#27 socbrian

socbrian

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

I'd rather stay away from moving Fayne. I like the pieces we have in our team. I would've only used Fayne as trade bait for some offensive fire a couple weeks ago, which now we've got, imo. Fayne's been really solid the past year or two, and he could be the guy we keep around for some consistency, to try and build around; he's only 26.

Only issue is he's a UFA next year

#28 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,735 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:57 PM

i wouldnt move fayne either personally, he's young and can play against top lines. My point was more that if we'd be putting together a package to get a top forward, you have to give something good to get something good you know.

www.SterioDesign.com

#29 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

Figure the defense looks something like this right now:

Greene - Larsson
Salvador - Zidlicky
Volchenkov - Fayne
Harrold

Really wish we could move Volchenkov or Salvador, i'd like to get some mobility on that 3rd pairing to play with Fayne and creating a roster spot for Merrill or Gelinas would do just that.
25smul5.png

#30 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

There are rumors that Lou is shopping Volch and could move him next week. Can't share where I read that but the source has been reliable and if it got out, we might lose the source (if you do wind up finding it, please don't run to TG or post it elsewhere). Can't see how we move Volch but hell, I'd be down.. Might even crack a beer to celebrate

Edited by Colin226, 10 July 2013 - 04:21 PM.

Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#31 sokar

sokar

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

If the Devils were to trade Volchenkov it would have to be in some kind of package deal right?

#32 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,654 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

There are rumors that Lou is shopping Volch and could move him next week. Can't share where I read that but the source has been reliable and if it got out, we might lose the source (if you do wind up finding it, please don't run to TG or post it elsewhere). Can't see how we move Volch but hell, I'd be down.. Might even crack a beer to celebrate

There's an NTC at play, and I know that he likes the area. The Isles, maybe. But otherwise, can't see it happening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#33 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:29 PM

If the Devils were to trade Volchenkov it would have to be in some kind of package deal right?

As my brother pointed out when I texted him about this, if all we could get for Tallinder is some AHL scrub, what the heck is Volchenkov's value with that huge contract and NMC? It'll be tough but I guess Lou might have some interest. Maybe he moves a young D too but gets back a player/pick?

Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#34 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,044 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

CAA Security Guard sighting!!! :P
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#35 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,735 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:35 PM

if Lou somehow trade volchenkov and make room for a youngster. Im gonna be more than thrilled for next season.

Lets put it this way... i'd rather fail a season with kids and tell myself that they will become better and its part of the learning curve rather than fail a season seeing overpaid old man sh!tting the bed night after night.

www.SterioDesign.com

#36 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:35 PM

As my brother pointed out when I texted him about this, if all we could get for Tallinder is some AHL scrub, what the heck is Volchenkov's value with that huge contract and NMC? It'll be tough but I guess Lou might have some interest. Maybe he moves a young D too but gets back a player/pick?

Like the Tallinder deal, moving Volch wouldn't be about the return, it would be about clearing space, both on the roster and in salary. 

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#37 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

Nice!

Posted Image

#38 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,997 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

If the Devils traded Volchenkov, this after already dealing Tallinder, that be bad news for the Devils defense this season. There are no indicators that any of the young prospects can come in and play well. That's the result of having 8 vets on the roster last season. Hopefully, this season the Devils get a little opportunity to see them play, and we probably will with the expected injuries to Volchenkov and others. Maybe then we see if they are ready to go for next year.

But for now, the signing of Zidlicky was a must for me. The Devils need some offense from the back end and someone who can run the power play. The 1-year deal is perfect. Either Zidlicky doesn't want to go anywhere or the league has very little interest for him to take this deal.

Edited by devilsrule33, 10 July 2013 - 04:53 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#39 sokar

sokar

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

Has anybody heard how much he is going to be making for that one year

#40 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members