91 replies to this topic

#61 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,424 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

So far these games played bonuses have been pretty funny. Iginla and Alfredsson have heavy bonus-laden deals, where they both achieve them if they play 10 games. I imagine these deals are structured like this for the benefit of the team and possibly player, but not exactly sure how.

That's an amazing deal. Even moreso when you consider Gonchar and Streit got 5 on multi-year contracts.

I'm not so sure. Both are significantly better than Zidlicky.

I am. Everyone and their mother said Zidlicky would get 5 or close to it based on those deals. It was reported he had a 2-year deal for 4.5 per on the table somewhere else. Its a great deal.

Edited by MadDog2020, 10 July 2013 - 08:39 PM.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#62 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

So far these games played bonuses have been pretty funny. Iginla and Alfredsson have heavy bonus-laden deals, where they both achieve them if they play 10 games. I imagine these deals are structured like this for the benefit of the team and possibly player, but not exactly sure how. 

Yeah, I don't understand the benefit other than if the player gets hit by a bus or decides to retire.    So his cap hit is still "TBD".

#63 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

Re the incentive, I saw something about it for the Iginla deal, but am on my Ipad so can't post the link. Basically, the difference with the bonus gets deferred to next year for cap purposes, when everyone expects the cap will be much larger. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#64 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:45 PM

wow less then i thought, that sounds like a pretty good deal for us, why only one year?
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#65 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

Gooooood sh!t! This was a steal, great to have him back for that price

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#66 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,505 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:01 PM

Re the incentive, I saw something about it for the Iginla deal, but am on my Ipad so can't post the link. Basically, the difference with the bonus gets deferred to next year for cap purposes, when everyone expects the cap will be much larger.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The bonus is only deferred if the bonus being triggered forces you over the cap at the end of the season. Otherwise it doesn't affect next years cap.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#67 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

We are awfully close to the cap with Henrique and JJ still not signed.

If Lou can purge us of Volchie that would be awesome.

I'm glad he'll be back though.

Edited by GoArmySports, 10 July 2013 - 09:45 PM.

#68 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

Gonchar yes, Streit, I'm not so sure. Both Streit and Zidlicky play similar games, and maybe Streit has a slight edge, but still, he's probably the Flyers #1 D, while Zids is nowhere close for us.

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#69 McMullen82

McMullen82

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:22 PM

We are awfully close to the cap with Henrique and JJ still not signed.

If Lou can purge us of Vlochie that would be awesome.

I'm glad he'll be back though.

there's still plenty of room for Josefson and Henrique and maybe $2mil to spare.  

#70 mort4345

mort4345

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

Living in Minneapolis and watching Zids play for the Wild, I was always torn about him as a player. When he got traded to NJ, I thought the Devils really gave up way too much to get him. Then, sure enough, the Devils get to the Stanley Cup finals and Zids winds up playing a pivotal role (albeit you get the good and the bad with this character). Cut to this offseason and I was completely torn whether the Devils should try to re-sign him or not. Obviously now it's water under the bridge. But $3 million and only a one-year commitment makes me feel a whole lot better about this. However, there is also a decent chance that this is just one more piece of the puzzle en route to Lou's endgame this offseason. Are there more moves to come? Can we judge this signing in a vacuum yet? I'm not sure. But I definitely can't wait for the next shoe to drop.

#71 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:43 PM

Great deal, great work by Lou. Glad to hear Zid will be back. In a straight-up choice between 1 more year of Tallinder and Zidlicky, I'd pick Zidlicky every time, and this way we have space for a young D-man if there's an injury.

#72 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,505 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

Tom Gulitti @TGfireandice 53m

One year, $3 million for Zidlicky's new contract with Devils. That includes games-played bonuses.

------------------

The way I read that is the $3 million includes the games played bonus.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#73 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

Tom Gulitti @TGfireandice 53m

One year, $3 million for Zidlicky's new contract with Devils. That includes games-played bonuses.

------------------

The way I read that is the $3 million includes the games played bonus.

I saw this and thought the same thing. Makes the contract look even better.

#74 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:00 PM

This is a phenomenal deal, probably at least $1m less than anyone on this board thought it'd be. Really happy to have him back at this price, I've liked what he's brought to the team since the Philly series in the 2012 playoffs.

#75 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:03 PM

I still cant believe he scored 2 goals in one game last season and moose still found a way to lose that game.

www.SterioDesign.com

#76 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

I still cant believe he scored 2 goals in one game last season and moose still found a way to lose that game.

i dont ever want to think about that moose stretch last season... fvcking horrible stretch of complete sh!t.. no matter what the team did they were losing alone just from goaltending
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#77 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,798 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

I am. Everyone and their mother said Zidlicky would get 5 or close to it based on those deals. It was reported he had a 2-year deal for 4.5 per on the table somewhere else. Its a great deal.

I didn't say that, because I tried to impress upon people the idea that UFA deals have nothing to do with one another.  In this case, I think Zidlicky took less to stay in New Jersey - TG reported he had a 2 year 9 million dollar offer but I bet it was some garbage team.   I'm still really shocked he signed for that little though, I thought it would come in around $4M.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#78 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,424 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:25 PM

I didn't say that, because I tried to impress upon people the idea that UFA deals have nothing to do with one another.  In this case, I think Zidlicky took less to stay in New Jersey - TG reported he had a 2 year 9 million dollar offer but I bet it was some garbage team.   I'm still really shocked he signed for that little though, I thought it would come in around $4M.

I'm surprised he signed for 3 as well. I had guessed 4.5, and certainly didn't think he'd take anything under 4.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#79 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:21 AM

Outstanding move Lou now finish the package sign Henrique and Josefson and dump A-Train for a pick.
Outstanding move Lou now finish the package sign Henrique and Josefson and dump A-Train for a pick.

#80 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,566 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:15 AM

I'm surprised he signed for 3 as well. I had guessed 4.5, and certainly didn't think he'd take anything under 4.

This guy clearly did NOT want to leave NJ, and was willing to leave term and money on the table to stay.  I give him credit...a lot of players don't do that, though I can understand why. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users