#1 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

Is *any* goalie worth that much money?

EDIT: Whooops.. The info I read before I posted this was inaccurate. The cap hit is $7M a year, which is at least borderline reasonable.. (If he turns out to be Rinne/Lundquist material..)

Edited by njdevsftw, 11 July 2013 - 03:22 AM.

Posted Image

#2 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

Well, that's probably what we're looking at for Schneider. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#3 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

schneider is NOT getting 8 until he single-handedly gets a team into the finals ala Rask

#4 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

schneider is NOT getting 8 until he single-handedly gets a team into the finals ala Rask

Rask did no such thing. Still a great goalie though.

Not to mention that Schneider's agent will know that the Devils need him long term considering what they gave up to get him.

Of course it depends on how well he performs, and how much playing time he gets. Since the consensus here is that Marty is awful, and that goaltending kept the Devils out of the playoffs last year, those people will have to assume that Schneider will take the team far this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#5 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:16 PM

I'd easily prefer to trade Schneider for Luongo then if that's seriously what he is hoping to get.. I don't understand why you would think he'd demand that much either, he hasn't even played a whole regular season as a starting goalie yet. Besides, goalies seem have to much of a randomness factor to pay them that much. 

Posted Image

#6 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

8 years is the term.  However it still is $56 million over that time. 

#7 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

I'd easily prefer to trade Schneider for Luongo then if that's seriously what he is hoping to get.. I don't understand why you would think he'd demand that much either, he hasn't even played a whole regular season as a starting goalie yet. Besides, goalies seem have to much of a randomness factor to pay them that much. 

I get what you're saying.  But he took a job away from a franchise goalie that was given every chance to succeed.  Whole regular season or not, as long as he plays well next year, he knows he has leverage over the Devils.  Around this time next year, if I'm his agent, I'm telling Lou that I'll be getting at least $8 million AAV in 2015-2016 from the Flyers when the cap is at something like $75 to $80 million. 

Whether you think there's too much randomness to goalies is irrelevant.  By the money and/or trade pieces that continues to get thrown at them, NHL GMs, or enough of them anyway, are willing to pay top dollar for them.  Lou would not have traded the pick had he thought goalies success was too random, especially based on the guy that's been in net for the past 18 years.

Posted Image

#8 Biggie B

Biggie B

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

Luongo did succeed, just not in the playoffs. We shall see how Schneider holds up...

Edited by Biggie B, 10 July 2013 - 06:00 PM.

Posted Image
Holding it down (in loving memory) for Vitaly "THE UKRAINE TRAIN" Vishnevski

If you can't take the heat, step away from the flames.

#9 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

Luongo did succeed, just not in the playoffs. We shall see how Schneider holds up...

Yeah, I agree that Luongo has been an overall success for Vancouver. Which supports my point that Schneider didn't win the job by default.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image

#10 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,957 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:20 PM

Rask did no such thing. Still a great goalie though. Not to mention that Schneider's agent will know that the Devils need him long term considering what they gave up to get him. Of course it depends on how well he performs, and how much playing time he gets. Since the consensus here is that Marty is awful, and that goaltending kept the Devils out of the playoffs last year, those people will have to assume that Schneider will take the team far this year. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hedberg was worse...it's not all on Marty.  But yes, Devils' goaltending was a big problem last year.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#11 leeski

leeski

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

Since when is 56 mil/8 years eight million per year? My math says seven.

#12 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

No he is getting seven according to the sites.

http://prohockeytalk...ars-56-million/

Edited by CarterforPresident, 10 July 2013 - 06:39 PM.

#13 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,423 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

Since when is 56 mil/8 years eight million per year? My math says seven.

i think most people math would say 7 lol

www.SterioDesign.com

#14 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:06 PM

Yea it's $7 mill per and I would bet money that's what we're gonna have to pay for Schneider if he plays like we expect him to

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#15 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,452 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

Wow, that is a big commitment for a goalie with half a year under his belt. Sounds like a Dipietro/Luongo type of mistake.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#16 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,281 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

Wow, that is a big commitment for a goalie with half a year under his belt. Sounds like a Dipietro/Luongo type of mistake.

Do you follow hockey at all?

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#17 mort4345

mort4345

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:18 PM

Do you follow hockey at all?

I think I just shot a vodka club soda out of my nose. And you know what, it was worth it.

#18 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:24 AM

Whooops.. Appears the article I read was inaccurate.. If the cap hit is $7M a year, that is at least borderline reasonable.. (If he turns out to be Rinne/Lundquist material..)

Posted Image

#19 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:03 AM

what I meant to write was had the B's won the Cup, Rask was the likely Conn Smythe.    

Yes, Rask / Schneider's numbers are quite similar in Regular season.. but Schneider has yet to put up good numbers in the playoffs, except for the year he was 1-3 and his team did not score

#20 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,280 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

Can't believe GM's are still handing out these stupid goalie contracts after the recent failures.

Seems like a huge, unnecessary gamble.

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users