21 replies to this topic

#1 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,904 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

I didn't want to create a whole thread for Harri Pesonen re-signing, but it's listed on capgeek.  $105/$550.  Minor league teams are getting more expensive.  

Edited by Triumph, 11 July 2013 - 04:39 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#2 StormJosh

StormJosh

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

I wonder what Pesonen's angle is. Surely he understands his chance to make it to the NHL is slim-to-none for more than a handful of games at a time. Why make $105k to play in Albany when he could probably make double playing in his native Finland?

#3 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

I wonder what Pesonen's angle is. Surely he understands his chance to make it to the NHL is slim-to-none for more than a handful of games at a time. Why make $105k to play in Albany when he could probably make double playing in his native Finland?

It's not all about the money. He may see this as like a study abroad thing except he gets a decent paycheck while he's here. Gets to learn the NA game, play at a higher level in the NHL. Then if he gets just one NHL contract, he's probably made a lot more in a few short years than he would in many years in Europe.

#4 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

I was trying to piece Albany's roster together the other day and figured it'd be helpful, for me at least, to look to see who is signed and who isn't. In terms of acquisitions and free agents they have this:

Re-Signings:
RW Cam Janssen

D Dan Kelly

RW Mike Sislo
LW Harri Pesonen

RD Raman Hrabarenka

Additions:
C Rod Pelley

Subtractions:
RW/C Matt Anderson to Spartak Moskva (KHL)
RD Matthew Corrente to Carolina Hurricanes (2 way)

C Steve Zalewski to Lukko (SM-Liiga)

Free Agents/Unknown Status
G Jeff Frazee

G Keith Kinkaid
C Philip DeSimone

C Kelly Zajac
LW Chris McKelvie
LD Jay Leach
LW Chad Wiseman
RD Corbin McPherson
RW Scott Parse
LW J.S. Berube (Not Qualified)
RW Bryan Haczyk
LD Stefan Stepanov

Depth Chart (By natural position, obviously some guys will move in the middle or off wing):

LW
Matteau
Tedenby
Boucher
Whitney
Pesonen
Hoeffel

Young (ECHL)
Boychuk (ECHL)

C
Sestito
Wohlberg
D. Zajac

RW
Sislo
Janssen

LD
Merrill
Urbom
Gelinas
Burlon
Helgeson (ECHL?)
Kelly (ECHL?)

RD
Scarlett

Hrabarenka

G
Wedgewood
Clermont (ECHL)

Please tell me if I made any errors or left someone out. It's a lot to try to keep track of and I could've easily missed something.

Edited by thefiestygoat, 18 July 2013 - 04:11 PM.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl

My New Jersey Devils Prospect Blog
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#5 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,904 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

Kinkaid is still an RFA, fiesty.  Also Helgeson isn't likely going to the ECHL as a guy on an NHL contract who did 4 years of college.

#6 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,507 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

Minor Devils transaction today: Some Russian retired. 

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#7 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

Kinkaid is still an RFA, fiesty.  Also Helgeson isn't likely going to the ECHL as a guy on an NHL contract who did 4 years of college.

Thanks, edited the post. Also had to add in Harry Young who I put as a LW since I think that's where they moved him. ECHL player though. The only reason I could see Helgeson starting out in the ECHL is due to the numbers game. I'm assuming Merrill, Urbom, Gelinas, Scarlett, Burlon, McPherson, and maybe a vet like Leach is added. Also I'd expect them to keep Kelly in Albany. Helgeson is a big physical player so he should be suited well for that league until a spot opens up for him in Albany.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#8 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

Per Renaud Lavoie
@RenLavoieRDS: Ex Voltigeurs and Cape Breton D Raman Hrabarenka signed with Devils. 3 years / $600 000 AAV (2 way) #RDS

#9 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,904 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

Well I was scooped but I'm glad they signed Hraberenka, seemed to have some promise.

Edited by Triumph, 12 July 2013 - 07:29 PM.

#10 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

Well I was scooped but I'm glad they signed Hraberenka, seemed to have some promise.

Agreed, I liked what I saw from him in Albany.

#11 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

I like this. Seems to have nice size and must have done enough to impress the Devils to keep him around on a 2 way deal. Plus he's a right handed shot which they could use down there. Updated my Albany/ECHL depth chart post above.

#12 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:30 PM

LD Stefan Stepanov to Atlant Mytishchi (KHL). Source link from EliteProspects (Russian) (Google Translation)

I was trying to clean up my earlier post with the free agents/unknowns. Is this correct?

Devils AHL/ECHL UFA's:
G Jeff Frazee
LW Chad Wiseman
LW J.S. Berube
LW Chris McKelvie
RW Scott Parse
LD Jay Leach

Devils AHL/ECHL RFA:
G Keith Kinkaid

Coming off AHL deals:
C Philip DeSimone (May be UFA?)
C Kelly Zajac
RW Bryan Haczyk
RD Corbin McPherson

Edited by thefiestygoat, 18 July 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#13 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

C Steve Zalewski who spent the last 2.5 years in Albany is going to Lukko of the SM-Liiga. (Source, Translation)

#14 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,436 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

C Steve Zalewski who spent the last 2.5 years in Albany is going to Lukko of the SM-Liiga. (Source, Translation)

Good for him, he's too good to be stuck in a developmental league but hasn't been good enough to force a real NHL shot.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#15 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,904 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:31 PM

I didn't feel like starting a new thread devoted to this, but with Jagr in the fold NJ has 47 on the reserve list with 2 RFAs.  Dan Kelly remains to be seen, I could see him signing in e.g. Germany, Austria, or Finland or on an AHL deal.  Still, Henrique makes 48, and if they wanted to sign Myles Bell, that's 49.  I still think Albany is short a top line center with Zalewski gone - the centers on the roster seem to be Pelley, D. Zajac, and Sestito, not exactly offensive flair there.  And of course there's 3 goons, always good to have.  Anyway, I feel like another move is coming somewhere, even though I do think NJ could go into the season with 50 players on the reserve list.  They may wait to demote Severson to juniors before signing Bell, thus effectively giving them another spot on the list, but there's still Ben Thomson and Graham Black who are AHL-eligible this year.  They may not ultimately sign either of these guys, but it's still weird what a mess they have made of their 50 spots.

Edited by Triumph, 25 July 2013 - 05:33 PM.

#16 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,904 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

Dan Kelly signed an AHL deal with Albany, according to Gulitti.  That leaves a reserve list of 48 with Henrique and with Severson as a possible slide candidate, so they could go up to 50 at training camp if they signed 2 players and then be at 49 all season.

Edited by Triumph, 15 August 2013 - 01:33 PM.

#17 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

Another Albany Devil heads to Finland, C Philip DeSimone to Jokerit on a tryout contract. (Source, Google Translation)

Edited by thefiestygoat, 20 August 2013 - 04:09 PM.

#18 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

RUMOR from Jeff Frazee's EliteProspects page has him heading to Sweden (now another one saying Italy). Nothing official though but here are the links to the first rumor (Swedish, Translation).

Makes sense to have Kinkaid and Wedgewood split AHL time with Clermont an available call up in case of injury.

Edited by thefiestygoat, 22 August 2013 - 02:03 AM.

#19 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

I suppose LW Chris McKelvie and RD Corbin McPherson being in Devils camp suggests they have or will have AHL deals.

No idea about LD Jay Leach, LW Chad Wiseman, LW J.S. Berube, or RW Bryan Haczyk. I suppose the vets are still trying to consider what their best options are.

#20 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:56 PM

This includes my wishful thinking that Brunner's arrival in NJ could possibly push Gionta out of a spot with the big club.

I didn't try to project any specific lines or pairings but I did try to put players somewhere near where they could be in the pecking order. Due to the large number of LW's, I had to move some of them over to RW to make this a bit more tidy.

Please let me know if you spot any errors or omissions.  

Projection
Matteau-Gionta-Tedenby
Boucher-Sestito-Whitney
Pesonen-Pelley-Sislo
Hoeffel-Wohlberg-D. Zajac
McKelvie-K. Zajac*-Janssen

Urbom-Gelinas
Burlon-Merrill
Hrabarenka-Scarlett
Kelly-McPherson

Kinkaid
Wedgewood

ECHL
LW Boychuk
LW Young
RW Carrier
D Helgeson
G Clermont

Notes:
*Not sure if they re-upped him on AHL deal

LW/RW Myles Bell should be in the AHL in my opinion but the roster crunch in NJ and Albany, plus on the reserve list makes me wonder if they will sign him to an ELC soon after all. If the Devils sign Brunner he'd be the 49th contract and Bell would make 50 but Severson will slide so it's more like 49.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users