Photo

Kovalchuk Retired Effective Immediately?

• Please log in to reply
620 replies to this topic

#181 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

The only bright side to this is we have quite a bit of cap space now. The bad news is trading for a legitimate top six threat/offer sheets is realistically off the table and the remaining UFA list is thin.

I say sign Jagr for a year and sign Grabo. Move Henrique to wing and see where that goes.

Henrique-Lotki-Jagr

Elias-Zajac-Ryder

Clowe-Grabo-Zubrus

CBGB

Extras: Olesz and Josefson.

That's not a bad team people...

Edited by TheMazz, 11 July 2013 - 07:05 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#182 newarkcupparade

newarkcupparade

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

Clearly there's nothing in our system...and again, who's damn fault is that. My point is still the same, you can't replace those guys with one player. We can't go crazy and really give everything to get Vanek or something like that. PDB should know what he needs to make it happen. We won 3 Cups without a 50 goal scorer and Kovalchuk won 0 while scoring 50 goals.

If we add a couple guys that are improvements over what we currently have we'll be ok (and now we have the cap space to do so). We have better goaltending, Clowe is an improvement over Clarkson (imo), we can extend Henrique and hopefully he'll bounce back from his sophomore wall, Ryder will do his thing....

Just not ready to write this season off yet.

lol

I like this guy!

#183 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,422 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

well -- OK -- since I can't find a way to replace him tonight, I'm officially bored again. 

I'm here for the party

#184 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,124 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:04 PM

The only bright side to this is we have quite a bit of cap space now. The bad news is trading for a legitimate top six threat/offer sheets is realistically off the table and the remaining UFA list is thin.

I say sign Jagr for a year and sign Grabo. Move Henrique to wing and see where that goes.

Henrique-Lokti-Jagr

Elias-Zajac-Ryder

Clowe-Grabo-Zubrus

CBGB

Extras: Olesz and Josefson.

That's not a bad team people...

Dude, Jagr and Grabovski are not even at the top of that UFA list. I suggest you look at it again. It's not as thin as you think.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#185 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:06 PM

this was not really the package that they gave up for him.

don't agree.  a player doesn't offer a contract, a team does.  he signed it, but it's up to the team to offer a legal contract.

That's fine.  But I feel differently.

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#186 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Will this add more fuel to the fire between the NHL/KHL? I'm not exactly up to date on foreign diplomacy between the leagues, but I can't imagine this helps.

IMO, it's on.    I'd be shocked if someone else doesn't jump.   Just because from the KHL's point of view, the teams in the "western conference" (whatever they call it), need to compete with SKA.

#187 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Dude, Jagr and Grabovski are not even at the top of that UFA list. I suggest you look at it again. It's not as thin as you think.

Brunner, Grabovski and Jagr. Who else is really out there that's a "difference maker"

n2eg.jpg

#188 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,613 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

IMO, it's on.    I'd be shocked if someone else doesn't jump.   Just because from the KHL's point of view, the teams in the "western conference" (whatever they call it), need to compete with SKA.

The Devils let Kovalchuk walk.  Another team will not let a player walk.

Edited by Triumph, 11 July 2013 - 07:08 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#189 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,124 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

Brunner, Grabovski and Jagr. Who else is really out there that's a "difference maker"

That's where you're making your mistake. We don't need a difference maker. We need good, solid roster players like we used to have.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#190 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

But, what will actually happen if a player goes AWOL and plays in the KHL.    From a hockey standpoint.   They get sued and lose NA assets?   I don't think there's any mechanism that can stop it when the league they're going to doesn't give a sh!t.   And the IIHF is weak.

#191 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

it's not good for the NHL when star (scoring) players get up and leave for another league

Exactly I think this is more embarassing for the NHL when compared to the Devils at this point.

Betmann cost us Kovalchuk without a doubt. If Kovy doesn't lose 40% of his pay for this past truncated season because of the lockout he probably stays and today would of just been another slow summer news day.

The cap recapture was only $250K and it would of been a hell of a lot worse if he would of done this three years from now because of the way the contract was structured so at least there's that.

#192 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

i'd add... another team wouldnt let 3 top players walk within 2 years

www.SterioDesign.com

#193 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,613 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

But, what will actually happen if a player goes AWOL and plays in the KHL.    From a hockey standpoint.   They get sued and lose NA assets?   I don't think there's any mechanism that can stop it when the league they're going to doesn't give a sh!t.   And the IIHF is weak.

'The league' in this case is represented by the Devils.  Daly said the league doesn't care because it's between a team and a player.

i'd add... another team wouldnt let 3 top players walk within 2 years

lol whatever.  this is just going to get you even more riled and you're already at a level 9 panic at all times.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#194 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

I feel like having THIS speech with Kovy right now
lava_river04.jpg

wow thats spot on lol
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#195 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

'The league' in this case is represented by the Devils.  Daly said the league doesn't care because it's between a team and a player.

lol whatever.  this is just going to get you even more riled and you're already at a level 9 panic at all times.

mehh not that bad i just like to argue

www.SterioDesign.com

#196 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,124 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

I mean honestly what is the league or the Devils going to do? They can sue for some sort of breach, but I'm sure Medvedev would have no problem helping Kovy pay whatever settlement since he has an enormous hard-on for Ilya. ou can't put the guy in jail and would Kovy really be all that effective if he was forced to play here?

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#197 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,946 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

Irregardless of obvious SKA tampering? He knew full well that SKA was going to offer him 8 bajillion dollars if he left North America.. the NHL doesn't really care about that?

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#198 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

I'm talking about the KHL.   The KHL doesn't give a sh!t.   If Dynamo goes and offers Ovechkin $20m per + benefits and he "retires", there is nothing to stop him from playing for Dynamo.   Sure, the Caps can say "WTF is this?", say no, and sue for damages, but where's the stick?   The IIHF isn't going to let him play in Sochi?   Sure they will when push comes to shove.  They can't keep him from playing for Dynamo. The NHL says "fine, we're not sending the Canadians and Americans (the only two federations they have any power over)?"   The PA may not agree with that and the other Euros may just take a leave to go play anyway.

I don't see what the actual sanction is for this, other than the relationship between the NHL and the IIHF and the NHL and the KHL deteriorating.

Hockey-wise, at least.

#199 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,946 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

From now on, let's *only* draft players from New Jersey. That way, they'll never "want to go home!!!". And by jersey, I mean do a full background check. If anyone in their immediate family roots for New York or Philly, they disqualify.

Problem solved!

*cries*

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#200 CaptainRafalski

CaptainRafalski

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

mehh not that bad i just like to argue

Its a big problem that daly doesn't care. It just gives more evidence that the nhl is not the premier hockey league in the world. It would be like mlb players regularly leaving to play in caribbean leagues. But I'm sure bettman and company doesn't care considering that they have done a whole to ruin the league.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users