Photo

Kovalchuk Retired Effective Immediately?

• Please log in to reply
620 replies to this topic

#221 Devildude

Devildude

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

We got kovalfvcked! I wonder if Bettman will do anything for us, a team he hates...
Still a Fan of Friesen!

Those Devils are Damn Good... DAMN GOOD!!!!

#222 Maddog

Maddog

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

i still cannot believe this, and im still speachless.  i seriously can't believe this.

i guess here's the "russian factor"

fvck this is a heartbreak

Kind of how I feel, the more I try to rap my mind around it the more it sucks.  But I believe Lou will do everthing he can to get us back. It seems that we are always up against it and he seems to find a way. I hope he can do it again.

MDD_zpsbc48401d.png

#223 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

We are getting fined a 1st round pick next year?
Posted Image

#224 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:21 PM

We are getting fined a 1st round pick next year?

yes, that was our penalty we received from when we signed Kovy

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#225 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:24 PM

yes, that was our penalty we received from when we signed Kovy

More specifically, the fine we received when we extended him
6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#226 enjoythesilence

enjoythesilence

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

Im still in shocked.  Utter shocked.  I know some people said they saw this coming, but I honestly did not.  When I saw the news, my heart dropped.  It was racing.  I felt like I was dumped.  Such a shame.  There has to be more to it,  Just when I thought this off season was going great.

"They score! Henrique! It's over!"-Doc
"I couldn't be prouder of this group"-Pete DeBoer

#227 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

i know his address we should all go protest in front of his house and follow him around lol
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#228 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

If the NHL doesn't let its players go, the Olympics become a minor league tournament, worth a hell of a lot less money.

The organizers don't care, the casuals don't know who anyone is and will watch it anyway.   And the NHL can't tell its players not to go, especially if there was an expectation of them going.  The PA has a say in that and the individual European players may decide "fvck it" and go over for a couple of weeks.

#229 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,882 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:32 PM

This is a blessing in disguise.

Kovalchuk had some of his worst years here. He is was improving defensively but was never a difficult player to play against.

In the short term the Devils are worse. But in the long term I believe the organization will be better by getting back to the team first approach that has been the key to the team's success.

So Zach went home, Rafalski went home, Clarkson went home and now kovalchuk went home... who's next? Loktionov? 

why can't Van Riemsdyk, Ryan, Carlson and wtv want to come back here... NJ really have to start producing more talent lol

(i know ryan was a flyers fan)

Fvck Kovy. In Lou we trust. That is all.

Yes on all above..

I am not surprised by any of this... We got Kovy's 3 best years, and we got out of a contract which will look worse each year. ...and the Devils' agree as you can see by letting him go so easily.

This hurst short term but will help long term... let a player who was a 25-30 goal scorer with a $6M (costs the team $10M in dollars) contract go ..

you betcha we would...

Makes sense for Kovy too.. play offense, no D, be a star and make much more $'s

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#230 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:49 PM

Having Kovy took a lot of pressure off of other players.  He took the attention of other team's top D and checking lines.  Without Kovy, Elias doesn't have the season he had last year.  The Devils desperately need to replace him some how but he will not truly be replaced.  Not everything he does for a team shows up on stat sheets.  I know some people don't understand that but anyway.... It's true.

Edited by capo, 11 July 2013 - 08:49 PM.

#231 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

Having Kovy took a lot of pressure off of other players.  He took the attention of other team's top D and checking lines.  Without Kovy, Elias doesn't have the season he had last year.  The Devils desperately need to replace him some how but he will not truly be replaced.  Not everything he does for a team shows up on stat sheets.  I know some people don't understand that but anyway.... It's true.

Exactly, but for the opposite reason. Kovy took the pressure off of the other players and consequently when he was injured our offense went in the toilet because he became a crutch..

#232 Steadevils

Steadevils

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

It's not all about having stars. It's not all about being the team that gets standing ovations in the other teams building. This is something a team can rally around. Deboer is probably amped for the first practice for all the bulletin board material he'll get come prediction time..Cancel the locker room painters cause this year it'll be wallpapered with motivational headlines. Hockey isn't sexy, but they all get mad laid anyway. Devils won't be sexy, but they can still be a team no one looks forward to facing.   

If you can't tell this has actually fired me up for the season. Watching some '95 highlights to get back in to the underdog, mean, gritty, nobodies friend mode..Man, Lemieux had a dance that year...But that is the mentality they will have, and the opponents will all be like Detroit in '95 when they were looking at each other deflated down 3 goals in games 3 and 4 saying "how the hell are THESE guys beating the tar out of us!". 

Always had trouble with "you have to live with the bad" to get the good argument with Kovy. Never really understood why I had to live with the bad. I don't like the bad. 

"I realized from Day 1 the way I played I'd never be a Gretzky or a Lemieux, well, a Mario I mean. I was never going to be a player to get standing ovations in a visitors' building."

-- Claude Lemieux - May 7, 1999

#233 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

#234 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

Absolutely stunned - no words at all

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#235 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

Rangers suck, kovalchuk swallows?

Devils.

#236 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

Rangers suck, kovalchuk swallows?

weak

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#237 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:02 PM

Well, he's Russian and went home. Money is better, he'll be the best player in the league, the family will be happier, etc. I'm getting over the shock, which hurts, but no hate for the player, just disappointment thinking we were set for a fantastic season.

But seriously, if all you guys wishing him death and all that would take a minute to take his face out of your signatures that would be swell :)

Edited by jim777, 11 July 2013 - 10:03 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#238 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:07 PM

To quote Ilya, "Vy u hev to b so mad? Is only game!"

#239 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:09 PM

To quote Ilya, "Vy u hev to b so mad? Is only game!"

The universe is so humongous big, sometimes you want be close to home

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#240 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:23 PM

Well, he's Russian and went home. Money is better, he'll be the best player in the league, the family will be happier, etc. I'm getting over the shock, which hurts, but no hate for the player, just disappointment thinking we were set for a fantastic season.

But seriously, if all you guys wishing him death and all that would take a minute to take his face out of your signatures that would be swell :)

then he shouldn't have signed a long term contract. He disrespected the devils,teammates, the league and the fans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users