Photo

Kovalchuk Retired Effective Immediately?

• Please log in to reply
620 replies to this topic

#241 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,401 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:29 PM

I don't think they stop a guy from playing in Sochi, but we'll see about 2018. I really don't think a player wants to challenge this.

After this year there's probably going to be a mass exodus after the Russian players don't have to worry about Sochi. IMO that's the only reason more haven't jumped, cause they do want to play in that Olympics.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#242 Anhkheg

Anhkheg

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:30 PM

I am still taking all of this in. This is an even bigger shock then the Schneider trade. I was looking forward to the Clowe-Lokti-Kovy line or Ryder playing with Kovy. Wow, just wow. No words to express how I feel right now.

#243 mort4345

mort4345

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

As a NJ native who currently resides in Minneapolis, I can honestly say that the last two years have been nothing short of excruciating as a Devils hockey fan. I've had to deal with all of my Minnesota Wild friends doing triple back flips over the Parise signing. And then, on a daily basis, I have to hear about how awesome Parise is by dumbsh!! suburban Minnesota hockey fans for 365 straight days (the same fans who are now whining that the Wild doesn't have the cash to sign any top free agents). On top of everything else, just when I'm starting to feel really good about the direction of this team, I hear this on KFAN while driving home from work - mind you from the dumbsh!! radio dudes who somehow knno nothing about hockey despite the fact that they are the No. 1 sports radio show in the "State of Hockey."

Radio guy: "So there is a surprising retirement in the NHL to announce."

Me (thinking): Teemu? Brad Richards? ... Who could it be?

Radio guy: "Ilya Kovalchuk is announcing his retirement. He's heading back to Russia."

Me - (almost crash my car off the road).

Radio announcer two: Hey, he's pretty good, right?

Radio guy No. 1: Yeah, and some people think he's the whole reason why the Devils couldn't sign Parise.

Me - unfu!!ing believable.

#244 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,401 posts

dp

Edited by NJDevs4978, 11 July 2013 - 10:31 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#245 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:35 PM

Why is no one posting "HahaHA! Where's Manta NOW?" :unsure:

I'm here for the party

#246 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:36 PM

Roenick and some others on kovy

http://prohockeytalk...olting-for-khl/

#247 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:40 PM

then he shouldn't have signed a long term contract. He disrespected the devils,teammates, the league and the fans.

Yeah, multi-millionaires in their 20's who grew up with nothing are known for making great decisions. He played hard as a Devil, and that was obvious.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#248 Anhkheg

Anhkheg

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

Devils have lost two tier 1 players in two years, its like the Pens losing Malkin and Crosby one after another. Such players are irreplaceable and a team has to really tank to get that kind of pick and then it also depends on that years draft. The biggest is what Devils gave up to trade Kovy and to top it off, the penalty of re-signing him.

One thing, Devils fans, please stay classy, none of that Kovy bashing and creating stupid graphics please. You are allowed to criticize him but dont stoop low guys. Teams go through adversity, but gosh, I have not seen any team going through the adversity Lou and Devils staff is going through right now. Need to look forward to the upcoming year.

#249 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:49 PM

Seguin would have been nice had kovy bailed a tad earlier.

#250 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:50 PM

I would of loved to been a fly in the room when Lou and Kovy had those talks.

Edited by GoArmySports, 11 July 2013 - 10:58 PM.

#251 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

After this year there's probably going to be a mass exodus after the Russian players don't have to worry about Sochi. IMO that's the only reason more haven't jumped, cause they do want to play in that Olympics.

They'd still be playing anyway, the groundwork is all but laid and who's stopping them.   People overestimate what kind of regulation exists.   BUT, this is a small group of players this effects.   No one who is mediocre or on their way up is going to burn their contract and lose the ability to play both sides against the middle.   There's too many hoops to jump through.   Only the tippy-top guys would even dare pull this move.

Devils have lost two tier 1 players in two years, its like the Pens losing Malkin and Crosby one after another. Such players are irreplaceable and a team has to really tank to get that kind of pick and then it also depends on that years draft. The biggest is what Devils gave up to trade Kovy and to top it off, the penalty of re-signing him.

One thing, Devils fans, please stay classy, none of that Kovy bashing and creating stupid graphics please. You are allowed to criticize him but dont stoop low guys. Teams go through adversity, but gosh, I have not seen any team going through the adversity Lou and Devils staff is going through right now. Need to look forward to the upcoming year.

Something here doesn't compute.   Those two guys aren't on the same level as Malkin and Crosby.

#252 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

From all reports Seguin is still a high school kid with a man's salary. Stealing Dad's car, getting plastered and sneaking back in before dawn, the whole 9 yeards. Let the Stars try and straighten him out. We won Cups without Kovy and will continue to win them without him. My guess at this point is Kovy stayed because Lou asked him to, so we could sign the guys we signed. He wanted to go home, Lou asked him to wait, and he did. I refuse to get caught up in the hate of the moment. I am though, perfectly willing to wallow in the utter disappointment of the moment.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#253 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:03 PM

From now on, let's *only* draft players from New Jersey. That way, they'll never "want to go home!!!". And by jersey, I mean do a full background check. If anyone in their immediate family roots for New York or Philly, they disqualify.

Problem solved!

*cries*

This. It is getting sickening how all these players are running from New Jersey to go back home. Is it just a Jersey thing? Or does that happen to all teams and we just don't hear about it?

Anyway, unfortunately, even being born in New Jersey doesn't guarantee that one is a Devils fan. Look at Ryan (Flyers fan) and Van Riemsdyk (Rangers fan). I don't know about Carlson.

As for this turn of events, it sucks, but I can't say I'm shocked. Even though Kovy always said the right things, I never got the feeling that he was loving it here.

I will miss his talent, but the Devils will move on. They always do -- at least as long as Lou is in charge.

#254 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:08 PM

They'd still be playing anyway, the groundwork is all but laid and who's stopping them.   People overestimate what kind of regulation exists.   BUT, this is a small group of players this effects.   No one who is mediocre or on their way up is going to burn their contract and lose the ability to play both sides against the middle.   There's too many hoops to jump through.   Only the tippy-top guys would even dare pull this move.

Something here doesn't compute.   Those two guys aren't on the same level as Malkin and Crosby.

They're pretty close. Not disagreeing with you -- those are 2 of the top 4 players in the world, but still, Parise and Kovalchuk are big time.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#255 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:24 PM

You're definitely on to something...people say Kovalchuk is the first real domino to fall, but it was really Jagr who went to Omsk in 2008 and loved it. I think if someone like Ovechkin leaves (and he's been rumored as well) that would send some shockwaves around the league.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#256 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:28 PM

They're pretty close. Not disagreeing with you -- those are 2 of the top 4 players in the world, but still, Parise and Kovalchuk are big time.

They're top 20, but the Pens without both are a horror show.    That playoff series a couple of years ago.... yeech.    They tried, but were rolling out Aaron Asham on the PP in a Game 7

#257 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:39 PM

They're top 20, but the Pens without both are a horror show.    That playoff series a couple of years ago.... yeech.    They tried, but were rolling out Aaron Asham on the PP in a Game 7

If we didn't have Elias, we'd be a horror show too. We still might be.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#258 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:47 PM

If we didn't have Elias, we'd be a horror show too. We still might be.

No, we're better than that.   They didn't even have a Michael Ryder.   Letang was the most dangerous forward on that team.

Edited by maxpower, 11 July 2013 - 11:47 PM.

#259 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:11 AM

No, we're better than that.   They didn't even have a Michael Ryder.   Letang was the most dangerous forward on that team.

Fair, but we could still easily be a disaster.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#260 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:17 AM

Fair, but we could still easily be a disaster.

I think disaster is a tad strong.   I think they're back where they started 3 weeks ago.   Maybe a little better off.    Whereas yesterday I would have penciled them in for one of the three guaranteed spots.

Edited by maxpower, 12 July 2013 - 12:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users