Photo

Kovalchuk Retired Effective Immediately?

• Please log in to reply
620 replies to this topic

#321 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,504 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

Get your tin hats out, conspiracy theory coming in:

I still can't imagine why Lou would sign the papers and leave Kovy scott free to sign anywhere he pleases outside the NHL.  It just makes no sense; Lou's being majorly taken advantage of if he just decided to do it to be a "good guy".  Hockey is a business, and that's not how business works.

Here's the conspiracy:  someone from the KHL essentially bought Vanerbeek out.  It's no secret he's not exactly wealthy anymore, and it's no secret there's a stupidly large amount of money in the KHL between a few owners.  it could easily be quietly done, and Lou would have no say in the matter if JVB gave the orders.

I know it's absolute nonsense, but hey, why not share it?  It sounds just as absurd to me as the theory that Lou didn't want to sign Kovy in the first place.

Equally likely conspiracy theory is the Devils think Kovy's back is shot and are secretly relieved to get out of his contract.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#322 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,246 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

Get your tin hats out, conspiracy theory coming in:

I still can't imagine why Lou would sign the papers and leave Kovy scott free to sign anywhere he pleases outside the NHL.  It just makes no sense; Lou's being majorly taken advantage of if he just decided to do it to be a "good guy".  Hockey is a business, and that's not how business works.

Here's the conspiracy:  someone from the KHL essentially paid Vanerbeek off.  It's no secret he's not exactly wealthy anymore, and it's no secret there's a stupidly large amount of money in the KHL between a few owners.  It could easily be quietly done, and Lou would have no say in the matter if JVB gave the orders.

I know it's absolute nonsense, but hey, why not share it?  It sounds just as absurd to me as the theory that Lou didn't want to sign Kovy in the first place.

Or maybe Kovy just said "Fvck it, I'm leaving and there's nothing you can do about it." Occam's Razor and all.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#323 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

Here's the conspiracy:  someone from the KHL essentially paid Vanerbeek off.  It's no secret he's not exactly wealthy anymore, and it's no secret there's a stupidly large amount of money in the KHL between a few owners.  It could easily be quietly done, and Lou would have no say in the matter if JVB gave the orders.

Although I'm not a conspiracy theorist if this actually happened I believe that is a great thing for the organization.

#324 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

Is there a way we can merge the now 5-10 Kovy threads...I feel like I have ADHD covering the same points over all the same threads.

#325 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

Get your tinfoil hats out, conspiracy theory coming in:

Why is this so hard to understand? Kovy was not going to play for the Devils anymore. period. Lou tolling the contract just drags the matter out, makes it a distraction going forward, brings up more drama between the hockey leagues, potentially impacts the Olympics and for what? On the off chance Kovy was going to change his mind and come back to play for the Devils again? 

Plus consider this, if he did toll the contract, and the KHL for whatever reason decided to honor it and not let Kovy play, at the start of any season Kovy could just show up to camp collect his 77m sit on the bench and play Sudoku for 82 games a year.

No thanks. Glad Lou has his head on straight.

#326 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

Why is this so hard to understand? Kovy was not going to play for the Devils anymore. period. Lou tolling the contract just drags the matter out, makes it a distraction going forward, brings up more drama between the hockey leagues, potentially impacts the Olympics and for what? On the off chance Kovy was going to change his mind and come back to play for the Devils again? 

Plus consider this, if he did toll the contract, and the KHL for whatever reason decided to honor it and not let Kovy play, at the start of any season Kovy could just show up to camp collect his 77m sit on the bench and play Sudoku for 82 games a year.

No thanks. Glad Lou has his head on straight.

Agree.  I don't even know why this is a discussion

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#327 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

Cant believe had I had to remove the Kovy quote from my sig about the Devils playing hard for the fans.. smh  :glare:

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#328 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

Cant believe had I had to remove the Kovy quote from my sig about the Devils playing hard for the fans.. smh  :glare:

Oh the irony.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#329 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

'This is team'. Remember that?
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#330 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

Swarm it up!!

#331 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

I think the only thing I can think of that would go against this theory is that sums of that amount of money need to be declared, especially if coming from Russia of all places. A transaction like that would make its way to the public eye, and we all know how damaging that would be to our franchise if that became known, might even be illegal/tampering/circumvention.

#332 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:09 PM

You just said it though: business is business. The business thing to do is to let the guy go and you get your 12 future years' worth of money back essentially. Hanging on and blocking it from happening is what a fan would do, someone with a "personal" interest in keeping him here. It serves nobody's interest but an egotistical personal interest if Lou were to block Kovy from officially retiring.

#333 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

How many of us are happy we didn't take Nichuskin at #9 now? Sure he might not have ever left us but we'd be paranoid the whole time he was here.

Edited by Jerzey Devil, 12 July 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#334 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,504 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

How many of us are happy we didn't take Nichuskin at #9 now? Sure he might not have ever left us but we'd be paranoid the whole time he was here.

Well I still wouldn't put what Kovy did onto Nichuskin, but I'm glad the Devils have what appears to be a top flight goalie so they can try to win through depth, rolling 4 lines, and defense now that one of the top offensive guys is gone.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#335 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

Next time u hear someone say NY is a great sports town, just laugh in their faces. Not a damn thing in the media re kovy. It's bad enough we are the second fiddle NHL team in the market, but what's worse is being in a sh!tty sports market to begin with.

#336 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

Next time u hear someone say NY is a great sports town, just laugh in their faces. Not a damn thing in the media re kovy. It's bad enough we are the second fiddle NHL team in the market, but what's worse is being in a sh!tty sports market to begin with.

I agree.  I don't really consider NY a sports town.   Most of sports radio I listen to is from  Canada.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#337 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

It depends on the sport, just like any other sports town. It's the best basketball town in the country, and one of the best baseball towns. It's a so so football town, and a crappy hockey town. I guarantee you won't find any town that supports all 4 sports at a high level

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#338 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:46 PM

Happy 24 hour anniversary!

#339 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

Well I still wouldn't put what Kovy did onto Nichuskin, but I'm glad the Devils have what appears to be a top flight goalie so they can try to win through depth, rolling 4 lines, and defense now that one of the top offensive guys is gone.

Yeah I was one of the people pissed that Lou didn't take Nichuskin at first. But after I realized we had just signed one of the best younger goalies in the league I was happy. Now I'm relieved that I don't have to worry about it happening again (not that it would, I just worry a lot).

I just really hope Lou can convince Schneider to stick around.

#340 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

He let Brent Sutter go to Calgary without even asking for a pick in compensation....he's done it before....

Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users