Photo

Kovalchuk Retired Effective Immediately?

• Please log in to reply
522 replies to this topic

#401 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:47 PM

+1 What I really don't get is he was so close to a cup. He could taste it. Why the hell wouldn't he want to see that through. Now he will never get that chance. What does the khl even play for?

Money, lots of money, well, if you're the right guy on the right team.

#402 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 8,976 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

Two years@ 50 million in the KHL and sit out a year then return to the NHL as a second liner getting paid for a brand name price. Sounds like a plan.

#403 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

Two years@ 50 million in the KHL and sit out a year then return to the NHL as a second liner getting paid for a brand name price. Sounds like a plan.

Although according to TG the Devils would still own his rights so he'd at least be an asset to trade if not a possible player in front of unforgiving fans.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#404 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,338 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

http://www.sovsport....ext-item/624108

apparently that article is saying that Kovalchuk's siter Arina said he'd return to the NHL in 3 years? not sure how legit is that but thats not the point that im posting it.

Let's say he'd want to come back... how would you take it if he does? how would you treat him? treat him as a crowd?

Same paper has Kypreos saying the same thing basically:  http://www.sovsport....cle-item/623822

I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#405 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,663 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

Apparently if Kovy wanted to come back all 30 NHL teams would have to approve the return.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#406 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

They play for the Gagarin Cup.. http://en.m.wikipedi...iki/Gagarin_Cup
Posted Image

#407 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,008 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:35 PM

apparently that article is saying that Kovalchuk's siter Arina said he'd return to the NHL in 3 years? not sure how legit is that but thats not the point that im posting it.

Let's say he'd want to come back... how would you take it if he does? how would you treat him? treat him as a crowd?

Personally, I would hope all the other 29 teams would vote to allow him back and then the Devils say "screw you, stay in Russia" and block him. If he wanted to go there so bad now then he can stay there for the rest of his career.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl

My New Jersey Devils Prospect Blog
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#408 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,681 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

I like your idea feisty. Along the same lines, how about  letting him return and the Devils refuse to  trade his rights and never give him a contract. :D

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#409 jonnyd91

jonnyd91

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

It was very hard, but he is a responsible person, put up some points, did not want to break the contract. The club is no more cup of ambition. Elijah as an athlete wants to win and win titles.

Can someone further translate this? (google translated the article) Is this saying the devils are no longer a cup contender and kovy wants to win a tittle?

#410 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,663 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:58 PM

Interesting information. I wonder if part of Kovy's decision was that he realized he would be locked into a long term contract with a team that might not win a Stanley Cup during his tenure. You have to wonder what he was thinking with Parise leaving last year and Clarkson leaving this year.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#411 jonnyd91

jonnyd91

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:11 AM

Interesting information. I wonder if part of Kovy's decision was that he realized he would be locked into a long term contract with a team that might not win a Stanley Cup during his tenure. You have to wonder what he was thinking with Parise leaving last year and Clarkson leaving this year.

IDK, im still betting 5 dollarbucks that his wife is behind this whole thing.  She seems pretty high maintenance.  Add that to the fact his kids aren't even in schools yet (nothing holding them here).  She prob. put lots of pressure on him during the lockout.  Makes no sense to just up and leave even if there was no parise.  He showed how much he wanted it in the playoffs, got a taste, and was soo close.  You just don't throw that all away.  

Edited by jonnyd91, 14 July 2013 - 12:12 AM.

#412 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:09 AM

I agree with you about that, but if we were football fans in Boston, we'd be surrounded by bandwagoners who don't know sh!t and started watching around '01.

But if bledsoe or Brady had mysteriously retired out of the blue, the Boston media would have given that a lot more than a passing mention. Part of being a good sports town is having media which covers all sports in the market.

He wouldn't dare show his face in the NHL again.

Edited by devlman, 14 July 2013 - 02:14 AM.

#413 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:01 AM

They all come back when their usefulness runs out.   Radulov, Svitov, the whole lot of them will play in the NHL again, when they're washed out.

According to Daly, Kovalchuk belongs to the Devils until the end of the 2018 season.

#414 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:01 AM

duplicate

Edited by maxpower, 14 July 2013 - 04:31 AM.

#415 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:34 AM

Matthau, Mouse, Bro, I understand your point. There are numerous passionate hockey fans in this market. You and I are two of them. However, we are a small percentage, and that's my point. If we lived in Boston, we'd fit in more as hockey is actually covered and discussed amongst the average man.

I think what you are doing is grading the market on a curve.  You see it as a baseball market, then basketball, then football, and hockey a very distant 4th. No, it is not as good for hockey as it is for the other 3.  To me, I just try to look at from a hockey stand point only without regards to the other 3 sports.  Like I said, I don't bother reading the newspaper.  Buy them only on mondays and tuesdays during football season.  I run the pools at work and need to get the spreads.  Gambling sites are blocked at work.  I'll watch MSG to get GIants and Rangers news.  Watch NFL/NHL Network to get news about the whole league.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#416 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:51 AM

They all come back when their usefulness runs out.   Radulov, Svitov, the whole lot of them will play in the NHL again, when they're washed out.

According to Daly, Kovalchuk belongs to the Devils until the end of the 2018 season.

If this is true, he'll be 35 or so.  Rag$ would give up their 1st round pick for him!  Lou may even bring him back. Also, it'll be a new contract as well. Atleast he'll be an asset.

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather--who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car."

#417 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

regarding his return cross that bridge when it happens. There could be lots of reasons he took off or combinations. I have read 1) possible ownership change for the Devils 2) 50% taxes between USA and NJ. 3) he didn't think the Devils were competitive enough to win a cup 4) he wants to play in Russia for Russia and the Olympics 5) it's about earning net money so he comes back to the NHL after 3 years in Russia and collects again 6) Elias doesn't like him 7) he had to play defense 8) he had to play RW and any combination. The facts are that he is gone and Lou knew his feelings about the subject. When he played in Russia during the lockout he had fun and was scoring at a high rate of success. He didn't want to return, he was forced to via the agreement between the NHL and KHL plus Lou made a concession to allow him to ply in the KHL all star game, this pissed off Elias. We, the fans, weren't paying attention so we were surprised.

#418 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,179 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

It was a mistake to acquire him the first time, don't come back.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#419 Devlin

Devlin

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

6) Elias doesn't like him

He didn't want to return, he was forced to via the agreement between the NHL and KHL plus Lou made a concession to allow him to ply in the KHL all star game, this pissed off Elias. We, the fans, weren't paying attention so we were surprised.

Yep...that is why I posted in another thread that at least Patty won't be mad that "he" won't be late for camp again!

You just got the feeling that all wasn't OK in his mind especially with his comments about how he would love to stay in the KHL but he couldn't.

Sent from my Galaxy TAB using Tapatalk 2

#420 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

to me its a mix of a LOT of things, all the lockout bullsh!t, the raised escrow, NJ losing some top players, seeing Salvador getting the C before him, having fun in russia during lockout and having the president telling him the world would be his if he stays making all the  promises. All the taxes he saves. about 50m apparently? (not sure if legit)

i still think it's against the NHL and not against NJ that he did it but still a coward move to do.

www.SterioDesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users