Photo

Kovalchuk Retired Effective Immediately?

• Please log in to reply
620 replies to this topic

#421 Devlin

Devlin

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

Absolutely...agree that it wasn't just one thing, I was worried when those reports started coming out while he was playing for SKA that he wished he could stay there and people were saying it was missed translations.

Sent from my Galaxy TAB using Tapatalk 2

#422 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

to me its a mix of a LOT of things, all the lockout bullsh!t, the raised escrow, NJ losing some top players, seeing Salvador getting the C before him, having fun in russia during lockout and having the president telling him the world would be his if he stays making all the promises. All the taxes he saves. about 50m apparently? (not sure if legit)

i still think it's against the NHL and not against NJ that he did it but still a coward move to do.

Looking back it looks like the player already had a feeling of his intent to go back so they didn't give him the captaincy.

#423 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,834 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

@coreypronman: Kovalchuk's sister tells Russian publication NJ owner, SC chances impacted decision. Kovy also plans to return to NHL http://t.co/bm38sXTRh6

Wow..

So in other words, he didn't have faith in the team

Edited by SMantzas, 14 July 2013 - 01:32 PM.

#424 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

you cant even read that link its in russian ... and as far as having faith in the team can you seriously really blame him? i mean from his point of view the team couldnt win one game with out him in the line up can you imagine what kind of a weight that must have been on that mans shoulders... im sure it was obviously alot of different reasons that made him want to leave but sounds like he had one hell of a stressful job here.. wish someone could elaborate more on what was ment by he plans on coming back to the nhl?
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#425 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

Bottomline: The organization is back to a situation where we actually can be more successful without him.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#426 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:25 PM

We were a coinflip away from taking home the Cup against LA.. Not sure how we get more successful then that. It's like saying Vancouver will be awesome if they get rid of Luongo after loosing in game 7.

Posted Image

#427 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:29 PM

you cant even read that link its in russian ... and as far as having faith in the team can you seriously really blame him? i mean from his point of view the team couldnt win one game with out him in the line up can you imagine what kind of a weight that must have been on that mans shoulders... im sure it was obviously alot of different reasons that made him want to leave but sounds like he had one hell of a stressful job here.. wish someone could elaborate more on what was ment by he plans on coming back to the nhl?

He did have a stressful job. That's why he was given a $100 million contract.

People need to stop searching for hidden meanings. I wouldn't believe a word his family said. His reason for leaving was simply huge money and fame in his home country. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 14 July 2013 - 04:31 PM.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#428 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

And part of the reason the team was bad was HIS contract. I've said this before, but he wanted his cake and to eat it too. He chose to take the big payday, to the detriment of the organization, then ran from the organization when he got a better deal. He'll get away with it (obviously), but it says a lot about his character.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#429 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

That's a joke. The team went out and stacked up for a run at the Cup and Kovalchuk decided to leave because he didn't think they could win? I hope Pete puts that sh!t up on the bulletin board and leaves it there all year. This fvcking loser leaves an organization that knows nothing but winning, and is committed to winning, to go play for a fvcking wall plaque over in Russia because 'he wants to win'? Tell ya what, if we win the Cup, I think we should have Elias go over there with it and spend a day at Kovy's house. Just have Patty sit in the back yard with the Cup while he reads the paper, checks his e-mail, has a beer, etc. Don't say anything. Just sit there. This guy is something else. Obviously this was about mostly money, but if he really believes that, then he's a bigger piece of sh!t than I thought.

Edited by MadDog2020, 14 July 2013 - 04:36 PM.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#430 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,246 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

There's a plethora of reasons to speculate about. Kovy is also extremely popular in Russia. After he retires he could probably go into politics.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#431 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

I don't belive that sh!t for a second.

Posted Image

#432 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

So is anyone still mad at Kovy? I've forgiven him. I'll miss him dearly. I think only if he stayed for a year or two more can we play the card of "we got the best of his poor contract and then he left". He still did and does have a lot left in his tank, and was one of the best conditioned players in the NHL. My biggest gripe is how he did it. I wish he announced his retirement a year in advance, like instead of surprising everyone with that dagger, I wish he would have said he was leaving next year. Or even, when the reports came when the lockouts ended that he wanted to stay; they were clearly true, why deny them? He should have said he was returning for this half season, then dipping.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not that mad at him, and this actually puts some moves into perspective, like Parise and Clarkson.

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#433 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

@coreypronman: Kovalchuk's sister tells Russian publication NJ owner, SC chances impacted decision. Kovy also plans to return to NHL http://t.co/bm38sXTRh6

Wow..

So in other words, he didn't have faith in the team

Can anyone on this board translate the article in that link?

#434 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

There's a plethora of reasons to speculate about. Kovy is also extremely popular in Russia. After he retires he could probably go into politics.

He's already acting like Sarah Palin....giving up and leaving before his "term" was done !

#435 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,921 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

We were a coinflip away from taking home the Cup against LA.. Not sure how we get more successful then that. It's like saying Vancouver will be awesome if they get rid of Luongo after loosing in game 7.

People really need to let go our cup run now assuming thats what our team really is. like 85% of our goals from that year are GONE. and will be filled by question marks until they can prove it by playing.

our success that season was a result of quite a few things combined, it was fun but thats in the past, lost Zach our captain and heart and soul of our team who scored 30 goals, lost Clarkson who also scored 30 goals, Kovalchuk scored near 40, one of the best defence coach in the league, Sykora scored 21 goals that season too. Our PK was really good and was a big part of our success, our 4th line clicked in the playoffs and it helped a lot too.

i mean we can try to convince ourself that it's no big deal, we had success that season but not as if we were winning games 6-1 or blowing out teams. We were still winning games by 1-2 goals. So all those goals provided by those guys really really count, even Sykora's goals. And thats on top of our guys who are still here and producing at the same rate. So basically it took all those goals to be successful that year. It's all gone now. 

With better goaltending from Schneider we probably won't have to score as many goals though so thats good news. Hopefully the new guys will gel quickly and will be able to cover our loss in production.

www.SterioDesign.com

#436 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:48 PM

People really need to let go our cup run now assuming thats what our team really is. like 85% of our goals from that year are GONE. and will be filled by question marks until they can prove it by playing.

our success that season was a result of quite a few things combined, it was fun but thats in the past, lost Zach our captain and heart and soul of our team who scored 30 goals, lost Clarkson who also scored 30 goals, Kovalchuk scored near 40, one of the best defence coach in the league, Sykora scored 21 goals that season too. Our PK was really good and was a big part of our success, our 4th line clicked in the playoffs and it helped a lot too.

i mean we can try to convince ourself that it's no big deal, we had success that season but not as if we were winning games 6-1 or blowing out teams. We were still winning games by 1-2 goals. So all those goals provided by those guys really really count, even Sykora's goals. And thats on top of our guys who are still here and producing at the same rate. So basically it took all those goals to be successful that year. It's all gone now. 

With better goaltending from Schneider we probably won't have to score as many goals though so thats good news. Hopefully the new guys will gel quickly and will be able to cover our loss in production.

The PK is still going to be really good, and the 2011-12 Devils were not that good of a team in the regular season.  Without the shootout and OT luck they were basically the bottom seed in the East.  They coasted on shootout and overtime luck until about Game 40; the team had about 7 useful forwards.  Then they got into having 4 balanced lines.  Now they'll start with 4 balanced lines. The power play's likely to be bad, can't fix that (unless Loktionov really turns a corner).  But 5 on 5 and 4 on 5 the team figures to be one of the best in the league.  Couple that with better goaltending and the Devils should be among the leaders in team defense, if not #1.  I don't even think the offense is important - it's going to be not good, we already know that.  If the goaltending is .910 instead of .920 it's going to be trouble.  And shootout luck will matter a great deal too.

Edited by Triumph, 14 July 2013 - 05:50 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#437 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,921 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

The PK is still going to be really good, and the 2011-12 Devils were not that good of a team in the regular season.  Without the shootout and OT luck they were basically the bottom seed in the East.  They coasted on shootout and overtime luck until about Game 40; the team had about 7 useful forwards.  Then they got into having 4 balanced lines.  Now they'll start with 4 balanced lines. The power play's likely to be bad, can't fix that (unless Loktionov really turns a corner).  But 5 on 5 and 4 on 5 the team figures to be one of the best in the league.  Couple that with better goaltending and the Devils should be among the leaders in team defense, if not #1.  I don't even think the offense is important - it's going to be not good, we already know that.  If the goaltending is .910 instead of .920 it's going to be trouble.  And shootout luck will matter a great deal too.

its fine to say we're one of the best team 5on5 simply based on the fact that we had a positive corsi but corsi and possession doesnt mean goals. At the end of the day thats what counts, the results. Of course its a good indication but you can't take too much out of that. We outshot the other teams how many times last season? we lost almost all those games in that stretch while shooting like twice as much as they were. 

You think the Leafs we're all bummed out clinching a playoffs spot saying, yeah but we have a negative corsi as a team who cares about us in the playoffs. We we're certainly not partying at the end of the season cause we finished 2nd in corsi.

www.SterioDesign.com

#438 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

So is anyone still mad at Kovy? I've forgiven him. I'll miss him dearly. I think only if he stayed for a year or two more can we play the card of "we got the best of his poor contract and then he left". He still did and does have a lot left in his tank, and was one of the best conditioned players in the NHL. My biggest gripe is how he did it. I wish he announced his retirement a year in advance, like instead of surprising everyone with that dagger, I wish he would have said he was leaving next year. Or even, when the reports came when the lockouts ended that he wanted to stay; they were clearly true, why deny them? He should have said he was returning for this half season, then dipping.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not that mad at him, and this actually puts some moves into perspective, like Parise and Clarkson.

Not even mad; can't hate on the guy. Sucks that he left but at the same time if you put yourself in his shoes wouldn't you do the same thing? Another lockout, not being marketed as the superstar player like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Towes, etc

Edited by Marv4Life, 14 July 2013 - 05:59 PM.

#439 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

its fine to say we're one of the best team 5on5 simply based on the fact that we had a positive corsi but corsi and possession doesnt mean goals. At the end of the day thats what counts, the results. Of course its a good indication but you can't take too much out of that. We outshot the other teams how many times last season? we lost almost all those games in that stretch while shooting like twice as much as they were. 

You think the Leafs we're all bummed out clinching a playoffs spot saying, yeah but we have a negative corsi as a team who cares about us in the playoffs. We we're certainly not partying at the end of the season cause we finished 2nd in corsi.

The problem was also the goaltending.  Hedberg couldn't give up 1 or 0 goals in any of those games.  Had he been able to stop a few pucks the Devils would've won some games.  But in the 1st period the Devils always seemed to find themselves down a goal despite outplaying the opponent.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#440 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

I was talking to Chico after a frustrating loss, and while he didn't mention corsi, much of what he said suggested that corsi may not work for the Devils. Basically, he argued that the Devils worked hard, and that allowed them to dominate possession, but without Kovalchuk (he was hurt) and Parise, they only had 1 player who could create his own shot. Making it worse, that player (Elias) was also the only player with even average finishing ability. So we could dominate a team without scoring. Hopefully, Ryder and Brunner (if he does sign) begin to solve that problem, but much as we might expect to regress to the mean, with a bunch of bad shooters, we could continue to be good at corsi and not score enough goals.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users