Photo

Kovalchuk Retired Effective Immediately?

• Please log in to reply
620 replies to this topic

#441 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

The only thing we were bad at last year was scoring. It sucks to take a big hit in that category (Kovy and Clarkson) but it's honestly tough to vision us being worse than that. For some reason, I don't see it

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#442 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

The problem was also the goaltending.  Hedberg couldn't give up 1 or 0 goals in any of those games.  Had he been able to stop a few pucks the Devils would've won some games.  But in the 1st period the Devils always seemed to find themselves down a goal despite outplaying the opponent.

Yah their timing were horrible... They'd score 5 goals but let in 6... Or our goalies would finaly play well but the team couldnt score a damn goal. This happened many many many times last season

www.SterioDesign.com

#443 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:27 PM

Can anyone on this board translate the article in that link?

Alright so i got a buddy in Russia i designed stuff for his band so i asked him to read the article and translate it... Heres what he said

"so they're interviewing his sister and she's basicaly saying that his New Jersey team was in a very bad shape for a while... and they have no cup ambitions anymore.. plus they had no money to pay him anymore... but he waited and didn't close his contract for a while.... he was thinking about to leave for a long time... and he wants to play and keep being a star... and this team can't provide this to him anymore.. he's also not thinking to finish his career... just making new moves in his life...."

He's a legit russian living in russia so it should be good, he also doesnt follow hockey at all so

www.SterioDesign.com

#444 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:36 PM

That's pretty much what she said put into google translate.   Which is also a crock of sh!t because that was going to be a pretty good team with him.   But, just another chapter in the saga of flaky Kovalchuk.   Maybe a year from now he'll fly TG out to St. Petersburg to complain about everything he's going through out there.   Wouldn't be the first time he's done that.

#445 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:45 PM

What a retard did he think he'd be on a team whod be contender for 15 years straight? Lol

www.SterioDesign.com

#446 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,077 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:02 PM

That's pretty much what she said put into google translate.   Which is also a crock of sh!t because that was going to be a pretty good team with him.   But, just another chapter in the saga of flaky Kovalchuk.   Maybe a year from now he'll fly TG out to St. Petersburg to complain about everything he's going through out there.   Wouldn't be the first time he's done that.

Bit of a false dichotomy here, as I don't think the Devils ever intended to ice this team with Kovalchuk.  Had Kovalchuk stayed, the Devils might not have gotten Clowe or Ryder.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#447 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:05 PM

Bit of a false dichotomy here, as I don't think the Devils ever intended to ice this team with Kovalchuk.  Had Kovalchuk stayed, the Devils might not have gotten Clowe or Ryder.

We'll see in the end.   If they run out and scrape up more players they never intended to be cheap.   Either way, the moves make him look stupid when that's the family/management line.   Not to mention the up to $4M being used on Zids, which is something they did not need to do if they weren't interested in "contending".

Ultimately, it's hard to say "I'm a merc and I get more money this way."

Edited by maxpower, 14 July 2013 - 11:08 PM.

#448 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:07 PM

i believe clowe was used to fill clarksons hole that he left and ryder we needed more forward depth in general.. i think we still need to more goal scorers now to try to patch up kovys production that he gave us... and its sounding like brunner is going to be one of them.. i would really like to see a package trade for a better forward as long as it doesnt include henrique on our half.. i dont want him going anywhere
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#449 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,954 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:23 AM

So is anyone still mad at Kovy? I've forgiven him. I'll miss him dearly. I think only if he stayed for a year or two more can we play the card of "we got the best of his poor contract and then he left". He still did and does have a lot left in his tank, and was one of the best conditioned players in the NHL. My biggest gripe is how he did it. I wish he announced his retirement a year in advance, like instead of surprising everyone with that dagger, I wish he would have said he was leaving next year. Or even, when the reports came when the lockouts ended that he wanted to stay; they were clearly true, why deny them? He should have said he was returning for this half season, then dipping.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not that mad at him, and this actually puts some moves into perspective, like Parise and Clarkson.

I'm not mad at Kovy.  I can't say that I ever really was.  Shocked, yes, but of course it's become clear in hindsight that the signs were definitely there that this could happen. 

But more and more, I think this is really an overwhelming positive for the Devils.  They get out from under a bad contract that was only going to get worse.  And though Kovy did allow himself to be coached into being a more complete player (seems like Jacques Lemaire was the only guy who was every able to get through to him, for whatever the reasons), I think there was something a little bit annoying about him...it started with the contract nonsense.  I think if he had gotten what he REALLY wanted, in terms of simply playing hockey, he would've been an LA King.  I think he was praying they'd find a way to make it work.  I think he mistakenly thought that what seemed like all of the money in the world would make him happy to be a NJ Devil. 

Just like every other occupation, there are workers who clearly thrive on being challenged, and overcoming obstacles as they face them.  Brodeur is one of those kinds of players, almost to a fault...he probably doesn't see Schneider as the guy who could be taking his job next season.  He sees him more as the latest challenge.  That's how the Brodeur-types overcome rough starts (like the one in 2011-12, where he almost looked finished at times) to put up a .920 save% for the last 50 or so games of the season and help his team reach the SC Final. 

I don't think Kovy is a "challenge me" guy.  I think he likes things being easy and relatively simple.  Wind me up, let me do my thing and I'll get my 40 or so goals.  I don't know why he thought his team should be a lock to be a Cup-contender every season (especially when he signed a 15-year deal in a league where teams rarely are going to be considered legitimate SC contenders for more than 10 or 11 years of that term, if that).  He got a taste of going home and decided he wanted that life, which is fine, not for me to judge, but the fact is that, if what Kovy's sister is saying is in the ballpark of how Kovy really feels, then he bailed on them almost at the second when things started to get rough...after Lou made about as big a commitment as one could make to a player, one that Lou knew had a chance to be a major detriment to his franchise, and relatively soon at that.   

It's one thing when a Parise or a Clarkson or others simply choose to exercise a right to choose their own team for the first time in their NHL lives...some fans may despise them for it, but I don't kid myself that the Parises and Clarksons and others were dreaming of one day playing for the NJ Devils and doing it in Newark.  But it's another when you decide, after the going looked it could be possibly (but NOT definitely) rough in the short-term, you turn your back on the team that made a massive commitment to you, just two years into it, and I say two years because it's clear that, if he had his way, he never shows up for Year 3 of his deal.  The guy had to be friggin' DRAGGED back to play here the season after his team reached the friggin' CUP FINAL?!  REALLY? 

Anyway, I remember both Elias and Brodeur stating when everything was coming apart in 2010-11, that you don't just abandon the team at a time like that.  I'm not going to make them out to be perfect because of that, but it shows their mentality, and why both players remain Devils.  Part of the reason I'm not angry with Kovy is because he saved the Devils from trying to build a team around a guy who wanted everything to come easily to him and wasn't going to fight through tough times, the way so many others who have played for the Devils have.  Just like the famous quote from Rudy:  "I wish I could put your heart in some of my players' bodies."   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 15 July 2013 - 07:25 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#450 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 16,052 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

So is anyone still mad at Kovy? I've forgiven him. I'll miss him dearly. I think only if he stayed for a year or two more can we play the card of "we got the best of his poor contract and then he left". He still did and does have a lot left in his tank, and was one of the best conditioned players in the NHL. My biggest gripe is how he did it. I wish he announced his retirement a year in advance, like instead of surprising everyone with that dagger, I wish he would have said he was leaving next year. Or even, when the reports came when the lockouts ended that he wanted to stay; they were clearly true, why deny them? He should have said he was returning for this half season, then dipping.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not that mad at him, and this actually puts some moves into perspective, like Parise and Clarkson.

I'm not mad at Kovy.  I can't say that I ever really was.  Shocked, yes, but of course it's become clear in hindsight that the signs were definitely there that this could happen. 

But more and more, I think this is really an overwhelming positive for the Devils.  They get out from under a bad contract that was only going to get worse.  And though Kovy did allow himself to be coached into being a more complete player (seems like Jacques Lemaire was the only guy who was every able to get through to him, for whatever the reasons), I think there was something a little bit annoying about him...it started with the contract nonsense.  I think if he had gotten what he REALLY wanted, in terms of simply playing hockey, he would've been an LA King.  I think he was praying they'd find a way to make it work.  I think he mistakenly thought that what seemed like all of the money in the world would make him happy to be a NJ Devil. 

Just like every other occupation, there are workers who clearly thrive on being challenged, and overcoming obstacles as they face them.  Brodeur is one of those kinds of players, almost to a fault...he probably doesn't see Schneider as the guy who could be taking his job next season.  He sees him more as the latest challenge.  That's how the Brodeur-types overcome rough starts (like the one in 2011-12, where he almost looked finished at times) to put up a .920 save% for the last 50 or so games of the season and help his team reach the SC Final. 

I don't think Kovy is a "challenge me" guy.  I think he likes things being easy and relatively simple.  Wind me up, let me do my thing and I'll get my 40 or so goals.  I don't know why he thought his team should be a lock to be a Cup-contender every season (especially when he signed a 15-year deal in a league where teams rarely are going to be considered legitimate SC contenders for more than 10 or 11 years of that term, if that).  He got a taste of going home and decided he wanted that life, which is fine, not for me to judge, but the fact is that, if what Kovy's sister is saying is in the ballpark of how Kovy really feels, then he bailed on them almost at the second when things started to get rough...after Lou made about as big a commitment as one could make to a player, one that Lou knew had a chance to be a major detriment to his franchise, and relatively soon at that.   

It's one thing when a Parise or a Clarkson or others simply choose to exercise a right to choose their own team for the first time in their NHL lives...some fans may despise them for it, but I don't kid myself that the Parises and Clarksons and others were dreaming of one day playing for the NJ Devils and doing it in Newark.  But it's another when you decide, after the going looked it could be possibly (but NOT definitely) rough in the short-term, you turn your back on the team that made a massive commitment to you, just two years into it, and I say two years because it's clear that, if he had his way, he never shows up for Year 3 of his deal.  The guy had to be friggin' DRAGGED back to play here the season after his team reached the friggin' CUP FINAL?!  REALLY? 

Anyway, I remember both Elias and Brodeur stating when everything was coming apart in 2010-11, that you don't just abandon the team at a time like that.  I'm not going to make them out to be perfect because of that, but it shows their mentality, and why both players remain Devils.  Part of the reason I'm not angry with Kovy is because he saved the Devils from trying to build a team around a guy who wanted everything to come easily to him and wasn't going to fight through tough times, the way so many others who have played for the Devils have.  Just like the famous quote from Rudy:  "I wish I could put your heart in some of my players' bodies."   

Great post CR. Makes a lot of sense when you really think about it.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#451 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

WOW...

The sister of Kovy interview was telling.   That is horrible....

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#452 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,954 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

WOW...

The sister of Kovy interview was telling.   That is horrible....

Lou probably doesn't love that getting out (nor would Vanderbeek), especially since Lou took the high road when asked about how he felt about Kovy leaving, but if anything, probably makes losing him a little easier.  Also, in fairness, it's not like Kovy went directly to the press himself, though who knows (or really cares) if his sister was doing his talking for him.  All this being said, no matter what losing a Kovy-type does to your franchise, I can't think of anything more destructive than having a star player who 100% doesn't want to play for your team.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 15 July 2013 - 08:44 AM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#453 slasher72

slasher72

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

We lose Kovy and we still have to forfeit our first round pick. Love it.

#454 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,954 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:22 AM

We lose Kovy and we still have to forfeit our first round pick. Love it.

In fairness, Lou is to blame for that one.  He was warned that he would be in trouble if he tried to announce Kovy Contract #1 before it was approved, but he went ahead with the press conference anyway.  Lou was arrogant that time.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 15 July 2013 - 08:52 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#455 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

We're absolutely better off if that article about his sister is remotely true.

Guy's a quitter, he doesn't want to lead a team.  We're better off without him.

I'm hoping he never sees NHL action again.

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#456 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

Lou probably doesn't love it that getting out (nor would Vanderbeek), especially since Lou took the high road when asked about how he felt about Kovy leaving, but if anything, probably makes losing him a little easier.  Also, in fairness, it's not like Kovy went directly to the press himself, though who knows (or really cares) if his sister was doing his talking for him.  All this being said, no matter what losing a Kovy-type does to your franchise, I can't think of anything more destructive than having a star player who 100% doesn't want to play for your team.

Exactly.  I would be extremely angry if Kovy was coasting through the season and taking up almost $7 million in cap space as well as even more in actual salary at the same time.  If a player doesn't want to play for his team he can turn into a cancer real quick and best way is to cut the cancer out.

#457 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,452 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:45 AM

It's official:  Kovalchuk has officially signed with KHL  St. Petersburg.

:thumbsup:

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#458 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

Kovy's new contract in Russia is only four years in length. He'll be 35 and the Devils will lose his rights so he can fly back to the NHL as a UFA.

#459 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:52 AM

Kovy's new contract in Russia is only four years in length. He'll be 35 and the Devils will lose his rights so he can fly back to the NHL as a UFA.

By then he will be at least mostly over the hill and not worth a $6.7 million cap hit.

I will worry about this in 4 years.  At this point he can have his money and sh!tty fame.

#460 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:54 AM

Will he still need all GM approval before NHL reinstatement?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users