Photo

Kovalchuk Retired Effective Immediately?

• Please log in to reply
620 replies to this topic

#501 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,748 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

This article is quite telling.  I like Kovy's professionalism here.  But, from his intonation, I really think he left to escape NJ.  It wasn't about the money.  He just didn't like the direction NJ was going.

Losing Parise and Clarkson set him off.

MM

It's a shame that losing 2 players partly because of his massive contract demands set him off. Poor 'lil fella. Hopefully he enjoys some glorious championship runs with a much more talented team of skating billboards. From the rumors of what his contract is expected to be, I'd say it was definitely about the money.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#502 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,902 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

In fairness, if they were 18-21, then they were born in 1992-1995...they completely missed out on Richer's good days with the Devils, and might have faint memories of Richer's 13-game run here in 2002 (reg season and playoffs).  Unless they become dedicated historians of the franchise, or have a relative or older friends that can educate them, I can't expect those fans to know all that much about Stephane Richer.   

Richer was not some 4th liner though.  He was one of our top scoring guys during that era along with Johnny Mac and Claude Lemieux.  I don't think you have to be a dedicated historian of the team to know who Richer was.  A player like Dave Barr I could understand 18-21 year olds running to the Devils history book when he was announced as assistant coach, but not Richer.

Edited by DevsMan84, 15 July 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#503 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,039 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

This article is quite telling.  I like Kovy's professionalism here.  But, from his intonation, I really think he left to escape NJ.  It wasn't about the money.  He just didn't like the direction NJ was going.

Losing Parise and Clarkson set him off.

MM

I don't see that at all. He made his decision before Clarkson left. I don't think Zach Parise leaving made him want to go home. With Kovalchuk, this is a very good team. I don't think Kovy even thinks about the potential prospects and draft picks the team makes. I believe him when he says he really liked the Devils organization, enough so that he came back for the second half of the year.

I still like Kovy and wish him no ill will. The long contract was obviously a mistake, and I think he felt really trapped in it. I don't think he ever wanted a 15 or 17 year deal. It was just the only way the Devils could circumvent the cap. The penalty sucks, but he shouldn't be blamed for the Devils getting punished or the fact that Lou didn't use it last year when the Devils picked 29th. 

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#504 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,441 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:08 PM

Richer was not some 4th liner though.  He was one of our top scoring guys during that era along with Johnny Mac and Claude Lemieux.  I don't think you have to be a dedicated historian of the team to know who Richer was.  A player like Dave Barr I could understand 18-21 year olds running to the Devils history book when he was announced as assistant coach, but not Richer.

I get what you're saying to an extent, but that was just a few people you saw, and they may not have even been following the team that long. 

Funny thing about Richer while he was here was that he was kind of quietly good, even though some of his goals were definitely of the dynamic variety.  Lemieux is more popular because of his spirit and grit and his terrific '95 playoff run...the Devils winning the '00 Cup with him returning to the team cemented his legacy.  MacLean was one of the old-time Devils who had to slog through the bad days and seemed to have to fight for everything he got, and his winning the Cup was almost like a birthright for him, like a validation of having to suffer through so many tough years (ditto Daneyko).  Then you have Brodeur, Stevens, the Crash Line...somehow it almost feels like Richer gets lost in the shuffle a little bit, through no fault of his own.  He had a terrific '95 playoff run too (led the Devils in points in both the '95 regular season AND playoffs, in fact), but ironically, if you could switch his '95 playoffs with Lemieux's, with seemingly EVERY goal by Lemieux hugely important...I think his Devils legacy would have been much grander in the great scheme.  I think in an odd way, Richer seems less memorable, which is why his legacy isn't passed down as much as the Lemieuxs, the MacLeans, the Stevenses.  I think, having scored 50+ twice, everyone from that era was always expecting and hoping for more (fairly or unfairly) than he ultimately put up.      

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 15 July 2013 - 03:09 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#505 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,407 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

It's a shame that losing players partly because of his massive contract demands

Who could have predicted that????

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#506 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:50 PM

I mean, I understand people are going to talk about this, but the rampant attempts to get into Kovalchuk's head are hilarious.   The guy is a flake who always thinks the grass is greener on the other side.    Just go with his track record.   I think it'll be very hard for him to get through the 4 years unless SKA handles their players differently than the things he was bitching about during his lockout RSL stint.

#507 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,748 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

Who could have predicted that????

Someone did. I argued with him a lot. AND I APOLOGIZED!!! :P

Haha, seriously though, you were right.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#508 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,613 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

It's a shame that losing 2 players partly because of his massive contract demands set him off.

Really?  IIRC, Lou's offer to Parise was fairly close to what he ended up getting from the Wild, and there's no way in hell Lou would have paid Clarkson what the Leafs gave him, Kovalchuk or no.

From the rumors of what his contract is expected to be, I'd say it was definitely about the money.

Depends on which rumors you believe.  There are some rumors that he's getting the moon and more, and there are others that say he's getting approximately what the Devils would have given him over the same time period.

Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#509 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,748 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

Really? IIRC, Lou's offer to Parise was fairly close to what he ended up getting from the Wild, and there's no way in hell Lou would have paid Clarkson what the Leafs gave him, Kovalchuk or no.

Depends on which rumors you believe. There are some rumors that he's getting the moon and more, and there are others that say he's getting approximately what the Devils would have given him over the same time period.

I was responding to the poster suggesting that he left because Clarkson and parise left.

On the second part, we've heard everything from 11-20 million a season. Either way, after taxes it's more than he'd get here. I think he realized he wanted less games at more money in a place where he'll be worshipped.

#510 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,039 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

I was responding to the poster suggesting that he left because Clarkson and parise left.

On the second part, we've heard everything from 11-20 million a season. Either way, after taxes it's more than he'd get here. I think he realized he wanted less games at more money in a place where he'll be worshipped.

I don't get the worshipped part? Kovy seems like a very low-key guy. The opposite of say Alexander Ovechkin. 

Edited by devilsrule33, 15 July 2013 - 06:47 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#511 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

the best fvcking thing now would be one of those "Hitler's reaction" video and freaking out... starting like...

Hitler: with the new signings we did we're in good position and our improve offence led by Kovy will bring us back to the playoffs! 

*everyone looking at each other *

other guy: My Furhe.... Kovalchuk just announced that he's retiring from the NHL, leave the Devils and will likely sign in the KHL.

etc etc.... 

lol done right this could be fvcking perfect and epic... the freaking out, the rage... then the part at the end where he's just discouraged and saddened.

here's an example

his last line is hilarious

www.SterioDesign.com

#512 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:34 AM

Oh, there already is one. 

believe-devs.jpg

#513 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:36 AM

lmao@the last line

Posted Image

#514 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

Hilarous!  Long live Grant Fuhrer!

Posted Image

#515 Devlin

Devlin

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

Lol...that was the first video I searched for a few days after he announced!

Sent from my Galaxy TAB using Tapatalk 2

#516 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

haha wow? what were the chances hahahaha

www.SterioDesign.com

#517 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

hahahahaha that video is fantastic

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#518 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

I get what you're saying to an extent, but that was just a few people you saw, and they may not have even been following the team that long. 

Funny thing about Richer while he was here was that he was kind of quietly good, even though some of his goals were definitely of the dynamic variety.  Lemieux is more popular because of his spirit and grit and his terrific '95 playoff run...the Devils winning the '00 Cup with him returning to the team cemented his legacy.  MacLean was one of the old-time Devils who had to slog through the bad days and seemed to have to fight for everything he got, and his winning the Cup was almost like a birthright for him, like a validation of having to suffer through so many tough years (ditto Daneyko).  Then you have Brodeur, Stevens, the Crash Line...somehow it almost feels like Richer gets lost in the shuffle a little bit, through no fault of his own.  He had a terrific '95 playoff run too (led the Devils in points in both the '95 regular season AND playoffs, in fact), but ironically, if you could switch his '95 playoffs with Lemieux's, with seemingly EVERY goal by Lemieux hugely important...I think his Devils legacy would have been much grander in the great scheme.  I think in an odd way, Richer seems less memorable, which is why his legacy isn't passed down as much as the Lemieuxs, the MacLeans, the Stevenses.  I think, having scored 50+ twice, everyone from that era was always expecting and hoping for more (fairly or unfairly) than he ultimately put up.      

Richer was outstanding while he was here. Watching him and Lemieux play together was as exciting as anything we'd seen up to that point, IMHO.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#519 SS#4-Life

SS#4-Life

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:15 AM

very funny video

Edited by SS#4-Life, 17 July 2013 - 08:15 AM.

#520 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,407 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

Richer was outstanding while he was here. Watching him and Lemieux play together was as exciting as anything we'd seen up to that point, IMHO.

Agree 100%. 

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users