Photo

Kovalchuk Retired Effective Immediately?

• Please log in to reply
620 replies to this topic

#561 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:06 AM

Yeah Parise was missing and EVERYONE sucked that year. Who caried the team almost back in the playoffs in the 2nd half? who? yeah thats right.

back then we we're praising the guy. Now that he's gone, its like he was a fvcking useless bum?

Even if he was not to your "level of awesome" he was better than any other player on the team, so acting as if he's not useful ? give me a break

He is a bum, he QUIT on this team.  People like to remember how good he WAS, but seem to forget that he didn't Parise us, but he signed a long-term deal and then QUIT on us.  I don't understand how you all can continue to praise/defend him after he quit.  I be talking the same way about Parise if he pulled a stunt like Kovy. 

There are pretty convincing reasons to be drink kool-aid.  It tastes good and it's a great way to stay in shape.  The Cory Schneider acquisition was a great reason to drink kool-aid as well.  Lou identified the problem and went out to fix it in a fairly timely manner.  H

Kovy was an offensive juggernaught and an exciting player to watch. He was great on the PK and fantastic in the shootout. He pretty much carried this team (on his injured back) to the finals in 11/12. He almost single-handedly got us into the playoffs in 10/11 as well after the MacLean travesty. We could very much use a bit of that. Kovy wasn't awesome in 12/13, sure, can you name a Devil who was?

Oops, I forgot that ice hockey is a team sport.  Guess you did too. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#562 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,717 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:58 AM

Hey can we beat this stupid horse a little more? It isn't dead enough.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#563 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:02 AM

Someone call Rick Grimes, cause this thread's undead and needs to be put down.

VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#564 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,717 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:14 AM

Hey can we beat this stupid horse a little more? It isn't dead enough.

Seriously. Lock this train wreck and throw away the key.

#565 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

Seriously. Lock this train wreck and throw away the key.

Did you just respond to yourself?

#566 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,717 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

Did you just respond to yourself?

Haha I did. I meant to quote Value's post. Obviously I quoted myself by mistake. That's what happens when you're using Tapatalk on your phone and trying to do work at the same time. :P

#567 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,904 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

Sterio:  The long and short of it is that you are not considering that Kovalchuk carried a 6.6M cap hit and was going to be paid $11M a year for the forseeable future.  That made him one of the highest paid players in the NHL - he would've been paid the 3rd most of any player in the NHL.  I do not think that the Devils are a team that can just spend way over the cap, so that would've caused issues with what else the rest of the team could do.  He was certainly a nice player to have and he had one great year and followed it up with a very good playoffs.  You're just ignoring that the other 2 years weren't really up to snuff.  But recently I watched that youtube video of that first game he played here where NJ scored 3 goals in 2 minutes to win the game, and that guy wasn't here in 2012-13, and it doesn't look like he was in Russia in 2013-14 either.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#568 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,151 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

Gotta agree with Tri after watching his highlights in the KHL this year - either he's not really trying over there, or he's already hitting that decline pretty hard.

One has to wonder how his back is doing.  If he played with a herniated disc as was rumored.. gotta think there's some permanent issues he's dealing with now.  Not to mention his bum shoulder. 

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#569 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,717 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:10 AM

Beat that horse guys! Beat it til its dead again!

#570 leeski

leeski

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:12 AM

Gotta agree with Tri after watching his highlights in the KHL this year - either he's not really trying over there, or he's already hitting that decline pretty hard.

One has to wonder how his back is doing.  If he played with a herniated disc as was rumored.. gotta think there's some permanent issues he's dealing with now.  Not to mention his bum shoulder. 

I think he looked pretty strong in the Olympics. Radulov also looked strong. I just think there's a lot more coasting in the KHL and Kovy takes advantage of it.

#571 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,904 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:12 AM

Beat that horse guys! Beat it til its dead again!

You don't have to click on the thread. Failing that, you certainly don't have to post.

#572 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,893 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

Bottom line, I don't have any regrets about the whole saga (we don't make it to the 2012 SCF without him, and ultimately I think Parise would have left anyway), but it was probably for the best that he left when he did.  I still think there's a good shot we would have made the playoffs last year had he been here, but, in all likelihood we would not have gotten the pick back this past year.  If Quenneville turns into a pretty good NHLer, or is part of a trade package for another good player, it would have been worth the mediocre result this past year.  In the meantime, for all intents and purposes the cap hit is gone, and you wouldn't have to plan around the inevitable cap recapture, even if it would have been five to six years away. 

And who knows, maybe there was something to the rumors that he's trying to find a way to return.  But really it looks like the team has turned a corner.  Perhaps the discussion here should as well. 

EDIT:  I'll also add that Kovalchuk brought a ton of excitement while he was here.  Perhaps it doesn't mean anything to the Mr. Spock's of the world, but there you have it.

Edited by Daniel, 15 July 2014 - 10:20 AM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#573 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,904 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

I think he looked pretty strong in the Olympics. Radulov also looked strong. I just think there's a lot more coasting in the KHL and Kovy takes advantage of it.

Radulov has been a top scorer in the KHL every year until this one though.  If Kovalchuk repeats his 2013-14 and Radulov gets back to form, I think Radulov takes over the 'best player not in the NHL' mantle.

#574 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,717 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

You don't have to click on the thread. Failing that, you certainly don't have to post.

But I did both. Because I'm tired of this stupid argument, and I wanted to express that. Yoy may carry on with this waste of bandwidth now.

#575 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,904 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

Bottom line, I don't have any regrets about the whole saga (we don't make it to the 2012 SCF without him, and ultimately I think Parise would have left anyway), but it was probably for the best that he left when he did.  I still think there's a good shot we would have made the playoffs last year had he been here, but, in all likelihood we would not have gotten the pick back this past year.  If Quenneville turns into a pretty good NHLer, or is part of a trade package for another good player, it would have been worth the mediocre result this past year.  In the meantime, for all intents and purposes the cap hit is gone, and you wouldn't have to plan around the inevitable cap recapture, even if it would have been five to six years away. 

And who knows, maybe there was something to the rumors that he's trying to find a way to return.  But really it looks like the team has turned a corner.  Perhaps the discussion here should as well. 

EDIT:  I'll also add that Kovalchuk brought a ton of excitement while he was here.  Perhaps it doesn't mean anything to the Mr. Spock's of the world, but there you have it.

I loved watching Kovalchuk play.  Loved watching his games on CI as a Thrasher and was incredibly excited that he was here and that he re-signed.  I can separate that from my evaluation of him as a player, though.

#576 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:05 AM

Sorry SD but if you look at his injuries and performance in 2012-2013 then couple that in with his upcoming salary it would have been a train wreck. We got an amazing talent for four years and never paid him once over six million. It was the best case scenaio that he left when he did. You need to open your eyes as well.

Edited by Zubie#8, 15 July 2014 - 11:07 AM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#577 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:35 AM

I don't get the beat the dead horse posts. The thread was bumped...it's been a year. A lot has happened, and it is interesting to look back and look ahead with everything we now know. Plus, most of the emotion has been taken out of the equation, so that makes helps.

The forum has been ghost town for a bit, and this is good discussion.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#578 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:29 PM

But I did both. Because I'm tired of this stupid argument, and I wanted to express that. Yoy may carry on with this waste of bandwidth now.

Here's where I'll disagree:

This was clearly a huge moment in Devils' history, one of those big crossroad moments, and it's not even so much that Kovy left, but how he left...the circumstances were so stunningly bizarre.  Big names leaving here is nothing new (though many have stayed, and other teams deal with losing big-target free agents too, though some Devils fans seem to truly believe that Lou is the only GM that this happens to), but let's face it, if there was one thing that seemed like an indisputable absolute, it was Ilya "This is Team" Kovalchuk staying here for a very, very long time, and for better or worse, his face being synonomous with the New Jersey Devils...especially since the team really seemed to become HIS team as 2012 wore on.  Parise leaving was a downer, but a UFA exercising his UFA right to leave the team that drafted him for another team that appeals to him for whatever his reasons is one thing...it happens a lot, all over.  What Kovy did was so different and shocking (to fans, anyway), and I think some people are still having trouble grasping it.   

Anyway, since he left, it's almost felt like Back to the Future II, Alternate 1985 Hill Valley...not as chaotic as THAT alternate timeline of course, but once Kovy decided he was done with the NHL (at least for now), Lou's made a slew of moves, many of which probably never have happen.  It's kind of natural to wonder "what if" a little bit, even it seems pointless, and even if there's no 1978 Supermanning our way around the Earth to reverse time and find out where we'd be had Kovy simply decided to honor his contract.  It'd be less on people's minds if the Devils hasn't missed the playoffs in three out of four seasons, but like dr33 suggests, Cory is signed, no real big moves are coming, the team is pretty much set, and until we have NHL hockey again there's not a whole lot to talk about, so this is the kind of stuff that will get brought up for the moment.         

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#579 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,717 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:42 PM

Here's where I'll disagree:

This was clearly a huge moment in Devils' history, one of those big crossroad moments, and it's not even so much that Kovy left, but how he left...the circumstances were so stunningly bizarre. Big names leaving here is nothing new (though many have stayed, and other teams deal with losing big-target free agents too, though some Devils fans seem to truly believe that Lou is the only GM that this happens to), but let's face it, if there was one thing that seemed like an indisputable absolute, it was Ilya "This is Team" Kovalchuk staying here for a very, very long time, and for better or worse, his face being synonomous with the New Jersey Devils...especially since the team really seemed to become HIS team as 2012 wore on. Parise leaving was a downer, but a UFA exercising his UFA right to leave the team that drafted him for another team that appeals to him for whatever his reasons is one thing...it happens a lot, all over. What Kovy did was so different and shocking (to fans, anyway), and I think some people are still having trouble grasping it.

Anyway, since he left, it's almost felt like Back to the Future II, Alternate 1985 Hill Valley...not as chaotic as THAT alternate timeline of course, but once Kovy decided he was done with the NHL (at least for now), Lou's made a slew of moves, many of which probably never have happen. It's kind of natural to wonder "what if" a little bit, even it seems pointless, and even if there's no 1978 Supermanning our way around the Earth to reverse time and find out where we'd be had Kovy simply decided to honor his contract. It'd be less on people's minds if the Devils hasn't missed the playoffs in three out of four seasons, but like dr33 suggests, Cory is signed, no real big moves are coming, the team is pretty much set, and until we have NHL hockey again there's not a whole lot to talk about, so this is the kind of stuff that will get brought up for the moment.

I know its been dead around here, so I get that people just wanna talk about something- its just a tired topic to me at this point. To me, its indisputable to be that we're better off without him long-term with that contract. If Kovy was still here and produced like he did in the KHL last year, we'd already been bitching about the contract being a huge albatross. I was pissed at the time, but now? I couldn't be happier. He did us a huge favor. I just wish we'd move on already...

#580 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

I know its been dead around here, so I get that people just wanna talk about something- its just a tired topic to me at this point. To me, its indisputable to be that we're better off without him long-term with that contract. If Kovy was still here and produced like he did in the KHL last year, we'd already been bitching about the contract being a huge albatross. I was pissed at the time, but now? I couldn't be happier. He did us a huge favor. I just wish we'd move on already...

If Marty gets signed, this will also be forgotten very quickly. 

I pretty much agree with the above (I wasn't really all that pissed when he left...I never liked that contract and was glad to see it off the books, especially since the Devils would be paying out high coin for decline years), though to me, as soon as a guy no longer wants to be here and is willing to go to the lengths Kovy did to get out, a lot of other things become moot.  A miserable Kovy constantly pining to be somewhere else would've sucked for everyone. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 15 July 2014 - 02:02 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users