Photo

Kovalchuk Retired Effective Immediately?

• Please log in to reply
620 replies to this topic

#41 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

another thing who pissed me off is that he waited AFTER fvcking free agency to tell lou...  im sure Lou would have done things differently.

www.SterioDesign.com

#42 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

Per McKenzie...

"If NJ had so chosen, it could've blocked Kovalchuk from the KHL by tolling contract. But NJ isn't doing that, he's free to go to KHL."

Well, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes so let's not pass judgement on Kovy just yet.  He is free to do what he wants.  It was obvious that something "didn't add up" when the guy misses a good chunk of the last 40 days of the season or with a shoulder injury, yet he runs to go play in the World Championships a week or so later.

It's a rough day, yes, because there aren't too many players in the NHL of Kovy's level.  The Devils and the NHL are losers today.

#43 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,969 posts

What a stomach punch. I respect his decision 100%...but this sucks.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#44 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts

Wow.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#45 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,281 posts

Per McKenzie...

"If NJ had so chosen, it could've blocked Kovalchuk from the KHL by tolling contract. But NJ isn't doing that, he's free to go to KHL."

Lou's a classy guy, we know he wouldn't do that. But really, how could we have benefited? It's not like he was going to come back a year or two off. I'm sure Lou said a few curse words, took a breath and came to the quick realization that we will all eventually come too in that all we can really do is move; although the fan base is obviously justified in being outraged for a few weeks.

#46 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Yes, things look grim, and this really hurts the offense, but as fans, we have to believe that our team can overcome this. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#47 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts

Brunner or bust.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#48 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,281 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

What does that mean?  Always thought if he had a contract with one league, a player couldn't just bolt to the other.  Did the Devils give him an outright release?

Via http://en.wikipedia....ki/Tolling_(law)

Sounds like the Lou could have let Kovy stay in hockey purgatory where he could either play for the Devils or no one else. but that's a zero sum game there.

#49 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

totally fvcking sucks so damn bad i want to vomit.. first parise then clarkson and now kovalchuk.. theres not even anything to replace him with he left us completely high and dry... were fvcked now... couldnt even win one game with him out of the line up last season
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#50 oat77

oat77

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

The timing could of been better. But I seriously don't know what you guys are crying about. This couldn't be any better for The Devils. I'm not about to post a long list right now, but the dude was absolute garbage. I hated him his entire time here. We went to the cup in spite of him. Not because of him.

Give me cap room back. Maybe, just maybe, get our first rounder back. And I am a happy camper. I'm dead serious about this, and I'm not attacking anyone on here. I just don't understand how anyone can't see this as good. Trust me. Its good!

"I love working for New Jersey," Burns said. "They've been great to me. They've supported me. (General manager) Lou (Lamoriello) is a godsend for me because he's looked after me, and I know I can stay close to hockey."

#51 Jmorc2003

Jmorc2003

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Wonder when exactly Kovy/his agent broke the news and/or Lou et al saw this coming?  Really weird timing unless this was a complete surprise to everyone. EDIT: Just the statement from Lou that they had been talking about this for the past year. 

Agree that the Devils have no choice but to let him go.  I'd rather have the cap room to spend on someone who wants to play here. 

Edited by Jmorc2003, 11 July 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#52 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

i won't be sad a second if his plane crash down there

www.SterioDesign.com

#53 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Totally speechless.  I'm not surprised that Lou let him go, but it sets a very dangerous precedent going forward for the NHL and all of the other clubs.  Medvedev and the KHL must be doing backflips right now.

Posted Image

#54 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

I nearly choked when I learned the news. Was speechless for a good while. Can't believe. I loved the guy and he's just a fvcking Judas. Can't remember the last time I was shocked like that in my life.

Lou should've made the fvcker rot. I mean, LL is gutsy. He fought the league all-summer long to make that deal happen. He argued the hell out of the St. Louis Blues in the 90's to get Stevens out of there. Now he just lets Kovalchuk go like this... Dude, you have 12 years left on the contract and we're paying you fvcking 100 million. Stop bullsh!tting... Nah, we should just let him go.

I defended him everytime someone told me he was greedy and only signed with NJ for money. I have never been as disappointed in anyone as I am in him. Can't get my sh!t together now, can't do anything else other than browse hockey web. Much like I did in the summer of 2010...

Can we hang his number upside down or something?

#55 Niaure

Niaure

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Well, that lockout was crucial. Lubomir Vishnovsky was mad about returning to NHL, now Kovy. They came back home, and ... Who will be next?

Posted Image

#56 Bryan

Bryan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

I've only bought two player jerseys since my Stevens jersey.

They are:

Parise and Kovalchuk

So I'll go ahead and take the blame for them being gone.

On the bright side, if you want any other players gone I'll be glad to make the purchase.
Posted Image of Zach Parise's McFarlane Figure!

NEW JERSEY In keeping with the fact they are the Devils, New Jersey actually went with a villain by the name of Lex Lou-Lamoriello, an evil genius who finds ways to get around the salary cap until he is stopped in his tracks by Bett-man.

#57 bekim

bekim

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:13 PM

another thing who pissed me off is that he waited AFTER fvcking free agency to tell lou...  im sure Lou would have done things differently.

No - trust me, Lou knew about this and that it was coming.  Him not releasing the info until now is the REASON why we were able to sign some free agents.  If this came out a week before July 5, then NJ would truly have been screwed.

While I hate this, and it's horrific... the per year penalty is only 250k (very small).  It won't prevent us from spending to the cap in the future and get some bodies in there that can help.  However, it will kill attendance this season which could be very detrimental to the franchise at the moment.

#58 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

The timing could of been better. But I seriously don't know what you guys are crying about. This couldn't be any better for The Devils. I'm not about to post a long list right now, but the dude was absolute garbage. I hated him his entire time here. We went to the cup in spite of him. Not because of him.

Give me cap room back. Maybe, just maybe, get our first rounder back. And I am a happy camper. I'm dead serious about this, and I'm not attacking anyone on here. I just don't understand how anyone can't see this as good. Trust me. Its good!

Yes, cap space is just beautiful, beacuse Lou usually does wonder with it and he can now sign Ryan fvcking Clowe to a 15 year 7 million contract!

#59 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Good thing Lou didnt give up the pick.

815631765.gif

#60 JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

what happens when sometime down the line Kovy decides he wants back in the NHL?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users