Photo

Kovalchuk Retired Effective Immediately?

• Please log in to reply
522 replies to this topic

#141 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

How did he pull the same thing twice in 2010?  I don't remember him playing for SKA at all in 2010.

Threatening to play for SKA.

2010:  After the first contract was nuked, he threatened to play for SKA.

2010:  According to him, he almost went home early in his first season under the contract and his mom had to talk him out of it.

2013:  Dragged his feet coming back, Russian media reports (which were played off as playing a domestic audience) said he was considering staying with SKA to at least finish the season.

2013:  "Retires" so he can play for SKA.

That's just what we know of.

#142 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

How much realistally would Brunner be seeking?

#143 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

Kovy was pretty pissed at the whole lockout thing and the owner not honouring contracts and all those buyouts. Plus when you have the president of the KHL telling you you could get twice the money and play in your country. Im sure this is all you have to know. I dont think its against the Devils but more against the NHL. 

But Kovy is extremely selfish. I mean maybe its not easy for him but you don't walk out on your employee leaving him in trouble like that, you at least try to do your best to help. Kovy playing next season for at least try to help the team in the playoffs and not giving away a top 10 pick that they have to forfeit because of HIM.

whats pissing me off the most is that we've been maybe not the ultimate laughing stock of the league but we're out there with all the sh!t that happened in the last few years. Cup run + Schneider and Larsson are some highlights through all that bullsh!t but still not even to me

How much realistally would Brunner be seeking?

he's looking for 3 to 3.5m

www.SterioDesign.com

#144 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

whats pissing me off the most is that we've been maybe not the ultimate laughing stock of the league but we're out there with all the sh!t that happened in the last few years. Cup run + Schneider and Larsson are some highlights through all that bullsh!t but still not even to me

This is so bad even Rangers fans write they feel bad for us on the web. Go figure.

#145 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

Adam Oates and Parise on kovy.

http://prohockeytalk...eft-new-jersey/

Oates says it all.  Kovy probably wanted to be "THE STAR" of the NHL.  In NJ, he was just a part of an overall team that really never marketed him or made him feel like the superstar that he felt he deserved to be in the NHL.

The KHL will reverse that.  He will be their marquee guy and he will be all over the billboards.

Maybe he wanted to be like soccer's Christiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi and just realized that it wouldn't happen in NJ, so he bolted to the KHL.

#146 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

Kovy playing next season for at least try to help the team in the playoffs and not giving away a top 10 pick that they have to forfeit because of HIM.

I know people are all emo tonight, but Kovy has absolutely nothing to do with us forfeiting the 1st round pick.. If you want to put that on someone you need to look to Bettman and the league, or to LL for circumventing the cap, if you agree with the leagues logic..

Posted Image

#147 hit the post

hit the post

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

Unreal....He showed no respect to Lou,his team mates or us the fans....How much fvcking money do you need to do something like this....He will wear the lable of a quitter forever now.
And The Rags Have How Many Cups--Can't win many with a Farm team.

#148 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

So Zach went home, Rafalski went home, Clarkson went home and now kovalchuk went home... who's next? Loktionov? 

why can't Van Riemsdyk, Ryan, Carlson and wtv want to come back here... NJ really have to start producing more talent lol

(i know ryan was a flyers fan)

www.SterioDesign.com

#149 Devs1965

Devs1965

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

who would think not only the rat would leave but Lou would let him admitting he knew how he felt even before last season. It sickening if they cared about the franchise why not announce it a month ago? Something stinks BIG TIME!
Commie Kovy where's my wallet that is his new name.... POS sorry guys this sucks we lost so much betting on his lying ass, and he has the balls to mention the fans in his FU speech, Lou knew something more or less because it just don't make sense! I hope the NHL bars him from showing his face back here and forces the KHL ( who had this planned since the lockout) to not allow him in the Olympics.
What kind of message does this send to other Russian or European players come play here and will pay you double look no taxes!
Also we want our first round pick back I know Bettman can't stand us so we won't be getting that back but other teams need to look real hard at what just took place! I know people are going to say hey we dodged a bad contract but we also lost a franchise player and next years first round pick.

Edited by Devs1965, 11 July 2013 - 06:14 PM.

#150 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

Wow, just got back from work to find out this? Arguably my favorite NHL player on my favorite team bolts just like that? Some of you can shrug this off all you want, unless Lou pulls a rabbit out of his hat this is  gonna be detrimental to the franchise, and not just on the ice either. Oates has a fair point to be fair; the Devils should have marketed him more so they can't escape any blame, but damn...

#151 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

Was listening to NHL radio. Some caller in Saskatchewan said that we were in trouble losing Kovy because our "dwindling fanbase would continue to dwinle, JVB will be in even worse financial trouble and then we'll be moved to Quebec." Some people.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#152 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:20 PM

Wow, just got back from work to find out this? Arguably my favorite NHL player on my favorite team bolts just like that? Some of you can shrug this off all you want, unless Lou pulls a rabbit out of his hat this is  gonna be detrimental to the franchise, and not just on the ice either. Oates has a fair point to be fair; the Devils should have marketed him more so they can't escape any blame, but damn...

With all due respect, Marv this is a setback not a franchise ending move or anything. It's not like we traded Gretzky for Jimmy Carson.

Look at it this way, Kovy was awesome, but we're a club that flourishes better when we have a solid roster of 20 goal scorers. Out of Kovy's tenure here we missed the playoffs 2 out of 4 seasons.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#153 jerseysteve

jerseysteve

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:25 PM

Wow, I came here to share my fan grief with other fans, but I'm stunned by what I'm reading. Some are actually wishing a plane crash, or death??? Wtf people. It's a GAME. The fact that everyone is pissed answers the question whether or not he performed with us. He is an elite player, for sure, but life moves on. Be grateful we have one of the best gms in all of sports. We'll be alright. For those wishing death, I'd suggest you get help. It's embarrassing to read comments like that from Devils fans.

#154 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:25 PM

Fvck Kovy. In Lou we trust. That is all.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#155 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,339 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

I loved the comment in the "Two Silver Linings" article -- a better silver lining would have been if he had taken Volchenkov with him.

I'm here for the party

#156 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:29 PM

Maybe Volch will follow Kovi now

#157 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,339 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:29 PM

Was listening to NHL radio. Some caller in Saskatchewan said that we were in trouble losing Kovy because our "dwindling fanbase would continue to dwinle, JVB will be in even worse financial trouble and then we'll be moved to Quebec." Some people.

That was a gag on a rangers blog post first.  We just lost our 5 season ticket holders.

I'm here for the party

#158 cubanjd305

cubanjd305

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

The fact that we didn't know, doesn't mean management didn't know about this.

This offseason we traded for one of the top goalies on the league and signed a couple of the best available free agents. This is what made you feel so optimistic, but these very same unusual (for us) signings and trades are (to me) a sign that LL knew what Kovalchuk would do long ago. Also, you have to think that at least Ryder ended up coming here partly because of #17. In Schneider's case...guess what, in 2 years you just became the face of the franchise.

He also announced it just as our cap space was small and with Henrique and Josefson still un-extended.

It's not his fault we lose next year's pick. First it'd be Bettman's fault for imposing that penalty in the first place, then also Lou's fault for not giving up that 29th pick.

It's also not his fault Parise didn't sign here. We had the cap space, the team, and the run to the Cup; he simply wanted to go play in his hometown with his boyfriend.

This absolutely sucks, and I understand that many feel betrayed, but I do think this was known by management before the season, before free agency...

I'm going to go Moneyball here and say you can't straight up replace Kovalchuk and his minutes and production, but you can build a winning team with the right pieces. This definitively got my mood down, but I'm not ready to say this is franchise ending as some have said. Let's see what happens in the next week...better yet, let's see what happens on the ice.

believe-3devils.jpg

#159 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

Maybe Volch will follow Kovi now

This. I would for love for this to happen.

#160 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

I'm going to go Moneyball here and say you can't straight up replace Kovalchuk and his minutes and production, but you can build a winning team with the right pieces. This definitively got my mood down, but I'm not ready to say this is franchise ending as some have said. Let's see what happens in the next week...better yet, let's see what happens on the ice.

Too bad we haven't even really replaced Parise yet.  We came as close as we were going to get with Ryder short-term, but now they have to replace Kovalsuck too.  And we still have zip, zilch and nothing aside from Boucher and Matteau in the system. 

Now I'm glad we didn't draft the Russian scorer though, I'd rather draft another undersized Swede than deal with the moody, ruble-hungry Russians.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users