Photo

Kovalchuk Retired Effective Immediately?

• Please log in to reply
620 replies to this topic

#161 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

This. I would for love for this to happen.

I was thinking how good this off season was ..all we needed to do is get rid of Volch and get the season started......then Kovi drops this bombshell.

every July is hell as a Devil fan

#162 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

lost alot in the locker room.. first moose then clarkson and now kovy.. whos left patty zubrus marty zajac? dont know what kind of impact zajac has in the locker room..
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#163 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

Maybe Volch will follow Kovi now

Good luck with that, Tracktor really missed a beat when he left, they only went to the finals.   LOL

#164 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

So how is this not Clarkson's fault?  Actually it all harkens back to that turncoat Parise.  If he hadn't left to go home to mama.... HEY -- yeah!!!  It's all Sutter's fault!!!  Everyone just admired his nutless manhood and went home to mommy.

Seriously though - you know Clarkson talking up playing for home made Ilya weep into the Wudkuh on nightly crying jags.  "Aye shood hchhev dun det.  Chhhaye Shood hev sayd Fahk dem - I ees playing in Rrroosha...I chehhhm Cleeeahrson - I go home now."

I'm here for the party

#165 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

Good luck with that, Tracktor really missed a beat when he left, they only went to the finals. LOL

He was hurt for most of the time he was there.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#166 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

Who were the Devils going to get? The guys who would best replace Kovalchuk are still on the market.

Bobby Ryan

#167 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:47 PM

Bobby Ryan

Devils did not have close to the package to acquire him. Unless you wanted to deal 9, Henrique and Merril

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#168 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,096 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:47 PM

Bobby Ryan

You do realize that Ottawa had to send a king's ransom to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#169 cubanjd305

cubanjd305

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

Too bad we haven't even really replaced Parise yet.  We came as close as we were going to get with Ryder short-term, but now they have to replace Kovalsuck too.  And we still have zip, zilch and nothing aside from Boucher and Matteau in the system. 

Now I'm glad we didn't draft the Russian scorer though, I'd rather draft another undersized Swede than deal with the moody, ruble-hungry Russians.

Clearly there's nothing in our system...and again, who's damn fault is that. My point is still the same, you can't replace those guys with one player. We can't go crazy and really give everything to get Vanek or something like that. PDB should know what he needs to make it happen. We won 3 Cups without a 50 goal scorer and Kovalchuk won 0 while scoring 50 goals.

If we add a couple guys that are improvements over what we currently have we'll be ok (and now we have the cap space to do so). We have better goaltending, Clowe is an improvement over Clarkson (imo), we can extend Henrique and hopefully he'll bounce back from his sophomore wall, Ryder will do his thing....

Just not ready to write this season off yet.

lol

Edited by cubanjd305, 11 July 2013 - 06:56 PM.

believe-3devils.jpg

#170 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

I know people are all emo tonight, but Kovy has absolutely nothing to do with us forfeiting the 1st round pick.. If you want to put that on someone you need to look to Bettman and the league, or to LL for circumventing the cap, if you agree with the leagues logic..

Nonsense. He had every bit of a role as Vanderbeek did in us forfeiting the 1st round pick.  He wanted the money, the marquee contract, the headlines, the ego boost.  It was a 50/50, takes two to tango type of situation.

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#171 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

Devils did not have close to the package to acquire him. Unless you wanted to deal 9, Henrique and Merril

this was not really the package that they gave up for him.

Nonsense. He had every bit of a role as Vanderbeek did in us forfeiting the 1st round pick.  He wanted the money, the marquee contract, the headlines, the ego boost.  It was a 50/50, takes two to tango type of situation.

don't agree.  a player doesn't offer a contract, a team does.  he signed it, but it's up to the team to offer a legal contract.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#172 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

I feel like having THIS speech with Kovy right now

lava_river04.jpg

www.SterioDesign.com

#173 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

It boggles my mind that there can be no legal ramifications for just up-and-leaving 2 years after legally binding yourself to the franchise for 15.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#174 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

It boggles my mind that there can be no legal ramifications for just up-and-leaving 2 years after legally binding yourself to the franchise for 15.

There aren't because the Devils don't want there to be.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#175 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,096 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

Look on the bright side: Would you really want to have a player here out of contractual obligation? I doubt you'd get a best effort night in and night out.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#176 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

According to reports the Devils could of blocked him from going to the KHL but that would open up another can of worms so they just signed off on letting him go.

We save $56 million over the next 5 years. Hopefully Lou can allocate those dollars effectively.

#177 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

He retired and the team complied with it.

I'm not even sure much would come out of it if the team DIDN'T comply with it.   I don't think the KHL cares and I don't think the IIHF is very strong, nor does the IIHF particularly like the NHL in the first place.

Maybe they could sue them in the US/Canada and go after their NA assets.   Big deal.   Who knows what Kovalchuk is going to make total value (home, living expenses, perks, stuff you can't get in the NHL)... it'd be a drop in the bucket and probably covered anyway.

#178 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

today it hurts and we're all po'd, but a few years from now we'll be better off

that contract was really bad

#179 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

Will this add more fuel to the fire between the NHL/KHL? I'm not exactly up to date on foreign diplomacy between the leagues, but I can't imagine this helps.

today it hurts and we're all po'd, but a few years from now we'll be better off

that contract was really bad

Complete nonsense. We had the potential to do some serious damage in Brodeur's final season as a Devil. That trumps any "bad contract" talk we would have *possibly* been having 5 years from now. This is horrible for the devils, their fans, the team, and the legacy of what used to be my favorite player. There is no silver lining here, the cloud is dark and filled with feces.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#180 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

Will this add more fuel to the fire between the NHL/KHL? I'm not exactly up to date on foreign diplomacy between the leagues, but I can't imagine this helps.

it's not good for the NHL when star (scoring) players get up and leave for another league

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users