46 replies to this topic

#21 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,077 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

I'm sure lots of guys currently under contract would love to be free to just dump their current obligations to cash in elsewhere.  But they don't (and can't).  That's why this smells so awful.

The Devils aren't going to stop him because they don't want to pay him $50M over the next 5 years.  

"Perceived"?  I'd say that recent events move it beyond perception to confirmed reality.  Ergo, my original point . . . 

I don't think that's the case at all.  Most top Russian players are still in the NHL.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#22 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

Parise is a bigger douche, planning to leave during the Finas for crying out loud.  That's why they lost, no doubt in my mind.

This...this is a joke, right? You can't honestly believe Parise wasn't putting in a complete effort when he was 4 wins away from what he's been working for his entire life.

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#23 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

$10 says Lokti does the same thing when his contract is up.

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#24 smelly

smelly

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

The Devils aren't going to stop him because they don't want to pay him $50M over the next 5 years.  

I don't think that's the case at all.  Most top Russian players are still in the NHL.

The fact that many are here does not mean that would it be irrational to consider the fact that many others -- albeit to date none of Kovy's stature -- have returned.  So are you saying that it would be unreasonable for a GM to consider that fact when making a personnel decision?  I think not . . . 

Edited by smelly, 11 July 2013 - 05:01 PM.

#25 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

I think i will avoid this topic... there are plenty other where hate isn't throw toward a whole nation... just one man. The star of the day. 

#26 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:49 PM

My first thought. Radulov is making $10 million per season now in the KHL. If Lokti has a good season he could get at least $5 ot $6 in Russia.

#27 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

lokti will definently go with kovi to the other side if he gets offered a check that he could never imagine here... thats obvious
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#28 Default

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

Lets just fvckin dump Lotki before he breaks our hearts next year.

#29 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,086 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

Just as many north American players doing the same thing. Sent from my HTC DNA

#30 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,077 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

The fact that many are here does not mean that would it be irrational to consider the fact that many others -- albeit to date none of Kovy's stature -- have returned.  So are you saying that it would be unreasonable for a GM to consider that fact when making a personnel decision?  I think not . . . 

It's not unreasonable for them to consider it, but in my view they've overvalued the chances of that happening.  As I've said - the only thing the KHL really offers is money and a chance to go home.  Everything else about it is worse than the NHL.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#31 dmitri

dmitri

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

This...this is a joke, right? You can't honestly believe Parise wasn't putting in a complete effort when he was 4 wins away from what he's been working for his entire life.

No, not a joke at all.

The Official Keeper of the Devils Anthem: <a href="http://www.songfacts...=1456&">Runnin' with the Devil by Van Halen</a>

#32 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

Lets just fvckin dump Lotki before he breaks our hearts next year.

Sucks we're already worrying about players we're losing next year!

#33 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,917 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

I think i will avoid this topic... there are plenty other where hate isn't throw toward a whole nation... just one man. The star of the day. 

Hmmmm....:runs off to start topic called "Frenchmen": :boogie:

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#34 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

Ask the Red Wings about selfish Russians. Those bastards (Konstantinov, Fedorov, Larionov, Kozlov, Fetisov) really hurt them. And Brylin and Zelepukin had nothing to do with us winning the Cup. Look, I'm pissed at Kovy, but it's ridiculous to generalize about all Russian (or Eastern European players). The only reason they're the only ones taking more money to leave is they're used to Russia. Americans/Canadians would be hopelessly uncomfortable trying to learn the language and dealing with the crappy travel conditions.. 

This is an issue of one selfish player ignoring a contract he signed, and the effect that contract had on this franchise. We have every right to be pissed at him for that. I certainly am. That does not mean that we should assume that all Eastern European players would do the same. I would gladly take Malkin, Datsyuk, or Ovechkin on the Devils. I have no problem with Loktionov, and my issues with Volchenkov have nothing to do with his nationality. 

As for fewer Russians being drafted in the first round, I think it has more to do with the difficulty Russian players face with assimilation. It's not easy for a young kid to travel halfway around the world, to play in a highly competitive league, while not speaking the language. Some players thrive with the challenge, others don't, but it's a lot safer to spend that high draft pick on a kid from the US or Canada, who is more likely to be comfortable developing. Especially because, considering the language barrier, it can't be easy for an NHL exec to get a great read on a Russian kid's maturity and resiliency.

Edited by mouse, 11 July 2013 - 08:58 PM.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#35 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

Ask the Red Wings about selfish Russians. Those bastards (Konstantinov, Fedorov, Larionov, Kozlov, Fetisov) really hurt them. And Brylin and Zelepukin had nothing to do with us winning the Cup. Look, I'm pissed at Kovy, but it's ridiculous to generalize about all Russian (or Eastern European players). The only reason they're the only ones taking more money to leave is they're used to Russia. Americans/Canadians would be hopelessly uncomfortable trying to learn the language and dealing with the crappy travel conditions..

This is an issue of one selfish player ignoring a contract he signed, and the effect that contract had on this franchise. We have every right to be pissed at him for that. I certainly am. That does not mean that we should assume that all Eastern European players would do the same. I would gladly take Malkin, Datsyuk, or Ovechkin on the Devils. I have no problem with Loktionov, and my issues with Volchenkov have nothing to do with his nationality.

As for fewer Russians being drafted in the first round, I think it has more to do with the difficulty Russian players face with assimilation. It's not easy for a young kid to travel halfway around the world, to play in a highly competitive league, while not speaking the language. Some players thrive with the challenge, others don't, but it's a lot safer to spend that high draft pick on a kid from the US or Canada, who is more likely to be comfortable developing. Especially because, considering the language barrier, it can't be easy for an NHL exec to get a great read on a Russian kid's maturity and resiliency.

Very well put.

#36 John Wensink

John Wensink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:36 PM

Khl didn't exist when a lot of the players you mention played I think quite a few of them may have left or never come ovet
"I feel privileged to have played on three Stanley Cup teams and finally help the New Jersey Devils get the respect they deserve." Scott Stevens

"I knew in my heart that one day we would turn it around and we'd do something special here," Ken Daneyko

"I hate the Rangers, and Lou hates them to death."- Martin Brodeur, "Beyond the Crease", page 261

#37 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,900 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:38 PM

Sergei Brylin.

That is all.

Brylin wouldn't even be in the NHL if he were coming up today. Eight Russians got drafted this year in the entire draft, eight. That number is only going down now.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#38 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:05 PM

Khl didn't exist when a lot of the players you mention played I think quite a few of them may have left or never come ovet

Never come over, maybe. As I said, it's gotta be tough to be a Russian kid in the NHL/AHL. I don't think those guys would have left, especially not mid contract. I hate Kovalchuk's decision because it was a surprise, because, regardless of if he could get away with it, he breached a contract, and because he ignored the negative effects of his decision on guys who treated him well, especially Lou and Marty. I have a problem with making generalizations about Russians both because it disrespects a ton of great players, many of whom were model citizens throughout their time in the league, and because it gives Kovalchuk a crutch -- he's Russian, what else could we expect. Fvck that. Ilya Kovalchuk made an a$$hole decision. While his comfort in Russia played into that decision (and it is therefore a decision no American or Canadian would make), he is an a$$hole, and his Russian heritage did not make him one. He has much more in common with Dany Heatley, deciding he didn't like Ottawa/San Jose and essentially forcing them to trade him than Datsyuk, Malkin, or Ovechkin.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#39 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,627 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:45 PM

He went home he was a star last season only playing his favourite offense and it's his country. Yes I hate the decision.

I do however think Lou wasn't fair to Devils fans by keeping this to himself. The team as I see it today won't be competitive for the playoffs. More moves if possible could change that. Time will tell. One thing Kovy will never have is a CUP and in the NHL Hall Of Fame. He doesn't seem to care and maybe that's because he realized he's not that good in the NHL play the Devils way.

And what, pray tell, was Lou supposed to do instead?  Blab to the media?  Kidnap his wife?  Overpay for Clarkson?

The difference, though, is that his contract will be up.  He wouldn't be skipping out in the middle of a contract.  Granted, he'll only be a restricted free agent, and some people would make the argument that he's obligated to remain in the NHL until he's old enough to be a UFA, but that's a lot different than leaving mid-contract.

Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#40 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:04 AM

The difference, though, is that his contract will be up.  He wouldn't be skipping out in the middle of a contract.  Granted, he'll only be a restricted free agent, and some people would make the argument that he's obligated to remain in the NHL until he's old enough to be a UFA, but that's a lot different than leaving mid-contract.

+1 We made plans for the future based on the assumption that Kovalchuk would be here. Anyone making plans for the future based on re-signing a free agent is just being stupid.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users