Photo

Kovalchuk Gone, What moves do we make now?

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#21 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

my next move would be to go buy a huge bucket of ice cream and grab a spoon

www.SterioDesign.com

#22 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,486 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

You can't replace Kovalchuk's ice time - and you definitely can't replace him shorthanded - but you can sure as hell replace his 5 on 5 play

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#23 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

You can't replace Kovalchuk's ice time - and you definitely can't replace him shorthanded - but you can sure as hell replace his 5 on 5 play

who would be the "good remplacement" for you ? Via FA ? Trade ? More than one player ? 

#24 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

Exactly.  No one can realistically replace Ilya Kovalchuk, actually, moreso than Zach Parise.  Ilya is a remarkable hockey player.  A true talent.  A brute force.  He will be missed and then some.

Now it's not about replacing Ilya, but changing the dynamic of the team altogether.

I think you may have to package Larsson in a deal to get someone "you can build around."

I don't see us making any moves, that unless we can go back to the well in Vancouver and steal one of the Sedin twins.

Any chance (even if it is a 1,000,000  to 1) of negotiating away from Detroit Pavel Datsyuk?

#25 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

Exactly. No one can realistically replace Ilya Kovalchuk, actually, moreso than Zach Parise. Ilya is a remarkable hockey player. A true talent. A brute force. He will be missed and then some.

Now it's not about replacing Ilya, but changing the dynamic of the team altogether.

I think you may have to package Larsson in a deal to get someone "you can build around."

I don't see us making any moves, that unless we can go back to the well in Vancouver and steal one of the Sedin twins.

Any chance (even if it is a 1,000,000 to 1) of negotiating away from Detroit Pavel Datsyuk?

your last two are completely unrealistic

#26 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,288 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

The thing for Lou to do now is:  Nothing     He has no leverage right now.

Kovalchuk is a not as big a loss as Parise.   We will survive this and probably be a lot better down the road.

We became too dependent on Kovy to the point that he was overused and was starting to show the wear and tear.    I don't think he could ever play a full season in the NHL for the rest of his career the way he was used, both here and Atlanta.    He would always be damaged good come playoff time.    We will be ok.     I trust Lou. 

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#27 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

There's still quite a few free agents out there. Two I keep mentioning are Brad Boyes and Mason Raymond.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#28 JakeDev

JakeDev

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:25 PM

I do like Mason Raymond we should look into him as far as Jagr goes that would be another 5 steps back if we signed him imo

#29 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

I do like Mason Raymond we should look into him as far as Jagr goes that would be another 5 steps back if we signed him imo

its twenty plus goals with him and stick handling that not even kovy has.

#30 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

I don't want Lou panicking and signing McGillis/Malakhov type deals with guys like Brunner and Raymond that we'll regret in another year or two when more palatable and longer-term fits are available.  We need to preserve some cap room for a run at a forward next offseason.

I like the idea of one of the above two, but only on a 1 yr deal.

Also, I don't like us slotting in Loktionov as a long-term guy know that Kovy is gone.  He's another mellow Russian who constantly mopes about going to the KHL.  Hopefully he's gone soon too.  He only looked halfway decent when he played with Kovy.  The other occasions he got some nice shots, but his skating was mediocre and he's terrible on faceoffs. 

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#31 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

Raymond would be a good signing. Triumph will say he's on a downward spiral but I don't think that's the case. A guy like Boyes would be a big plus two. He's extremely underrated. He had 10 goals and 25 assists last season and even though is could be argued that he played on a line with Tavares, he put excellent numbers on some lousy Boston and St. Louis teams. In addition he only made like 1 mil last year. I'm sure he could be had for just a bit more.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#32 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

i wouldnt mind boyes

#33 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

I know Vanek has been brought up, but I think Ryder fills what Vanek brings to a lesser level. Plus, Vanek will cost a pretty penny, at least 5 mil. Why burn up cap space on one guy when ou can go out and get 2 or 3 that will fill out the roster really well?

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#34 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

Brunner or Jagr make the most sense. Jagr moreso.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#35 Bibby89

Bibby89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:52 PM

I'd prefer not to go for vanek since he can walk next year. Any parodying of Brunner, Raymond, Jagr and Boyes will do for me. Unless a trade is available.

#36 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

Brunner or Jagr make the most sense. Jagr moreso.

No to both. Brunner is going to want a lot based on 44 games of NHL experience and Jagr was humping it down the ice last time I saw him play.

I'd prefer not to go for vanek since he can walk next year. Any parodying of Brunner, Raymond, Jagr and Boyes will do for me. Unless a trade is available.

I own a Raymond and a Boyes gamer. I can put on ne with clown makeup and film it if you like.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#37 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

so we lost Zach and couldnt really replace him... now Clarkson walk and we replaced his production and maybe a little of Zach's with Ryder + clowe (maybe).. than that other superstar guy walks out. I mean... you CANT stay competitive while losing all your top players and replacing them with plugs.

The kids better pan out and have breakout season this year for the love of god

www.SterioDesign.com

#38 Bibby89

Bibby89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

Damnit. Spell check haha sorry. PAIRING.

#39 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

With guys like Kovy, Parise, Alfredsson and Iginla splitting from their clubs I have even more respect for guys like Marty, Elias and Doan.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#40 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:06 PM

worst thing is that on top of us not getting a first round pick next year, the UFA class is absolute GARBAGE ! there's no hope there

http://capgeek.com/f...-1&fa_type_id=2

www.SterioDesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users