Photo

Kovalchuk Gone, What moves do we make now?

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#101 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

I really hope we announce the signing of Jagr TODAY!

For the first time in years, I am looking to re-new my season ticket package.   I like the team right now, because I know the kids finally have a chance to step-up (talking about Josefson in particular).

If we sign Jagr, I will keep my money.  Because it is a step in the wrong direction.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#102 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,236 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

We have NEVER had a problem signing free agents.  Our pre-Kovy tradition of winning hockey was attractive to free agents.  Devils hockey elevated a players stature in the marketplace and allowed avergae players to get huge deals later in their career (Holik, Gomez, Clarkson, Sykora, etc.).

There is no uncertainty here.  You want to win, come here.

Yup. The Devils organization has a reputation of developing players really well and the Devils system optimizes the player's ability. That's why more often than not when a big name Devils player goes UFA to another team the underachieve(Some exceptions of course).

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#103 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,975 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

This might have been mentioned already: But how about Tomas Vanek to New Jersey?

Darcy Regier just gave your franchise one gift this past week, why not another?

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#104 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

This might have been mentioned already: But how about Tomas Vanek to New Jersey?

Darcy Regier just gave your franchise one gift this past week, why not another?

I said it earlier:  Vanek and Elias would be unstopable.   Depends on what we have to give up.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#105 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

He did no such thing, unless it's a gift to take an underpaid 2nd pairing D for a nothing player.

Vanek would be an awful panic move.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#106 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,975 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

I said it earlier:  Vanek and Elias would be unstopable.   Depends on what we have to give up.

Well I have a feeling the Sabres are motivated to make a Vanek trade and hopefully pawn Miller off on someone (he will be a deadline move at best).

And since the Devils and Sabres just recently talked trade, I really think Vanek to New Jersey can be a reality.

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#107 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

He did no such thing, unless it's a gift to take an underpaid 2nd pairing D for a nothing player.

Vanek would be an awful panic move.

Buffalo took an overpaid, average defensemen off our roster freeing up capspace.   that was a gift.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#108 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

We don't have the assets to acquire Vanek. We don't have the assets to aquire anyone on that level through trade.

We'd have to give up at least Henrique, a D prospect, and a good pick. 

We're going to have to roll with team we have + maybe Jagr or Grabovski or something and hope we can squeak into the playoffs somehow. The good news is the Flyers should still suck too and the Isles and Rags aren't really contenders yet either so there's a small chance.

#109 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

Vanek has Kovy part 2 written all over it. First, he costs 7.1 mil, you're looking at sending picks and at least 2 top young players to Buffalo. In addition he's a UFA after 13-14 so we'd get to relive all the excitement of the 2010 off season while Vanek decides if he wants to come back or not.

#110 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

The Flyers will be solid next year as will the Islanders.   Rangers will continue to stumble.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#111 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

[quote name="Martyisth3b3st" post="1202659" timestamp="1373642082"]

You know what the problem is, here? You'll never be happy and you'll die alone.

And you know what, what was he supposed to stay? He knew that it was a possible decision. He was supposed to say "hey, heads up, our star player kinda wants to go home so we don't really know if he'll be here". If he decided to stay, that's the ONLY thing people would talk about. This isn't Lou dropping a ball, this is you sucking one.
We don't need a center, Zajac isn't paid to play on the third line, and in what universe would Tedenby play over Loktionov?[/quote

Like I said fvck you a$$hole

#112 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,013 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

Like I said fvck you a$$hole

Killer response. You truly believe in your argument, especially with the ability to back it up like that.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#113 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

Vanek has Kovy part 2 written all over it. First, he costs 7.1 mil, you're looking at sending picks and at least 2 top young players to Buffalo. In addition he's a UFA after 13-14 so we'd get to relive all the excitement of the 2010 off season while Vanek decides if he wants to come back or not.

Good points.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#114 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

For the first time in years, I am looking to re-new my season ticket package.   I like the team right now, because I know the kids finally have a chance to step-up (talking about Josefson in particular).

If we sign Jagr, I will keep my money.  Because it is a step in the wrong direction.

Manta, you hated Kovy from day 1.  Please tell the board right now that you honestly believe the Devils are a better team without Kovy than with him?!?

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#115 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

Manta, you hated Kovy from day 1.  Please tell the board right now that you honestly believe the Devils are a better team without Kovy than with him?!?

I thought I made that clear in my opening statement.    But yes, I believe the Devil's will be a better team without Kovy.

And for the billionth time, I never hated Kovy, I didn't think he fit in the culture and the team concept of the Devils.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#116 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

Manta has a point. Remember how awful this team was when Kovy was out of the lineup. It has to go back to a team system with 20-30 goal scorers up and down the line.

#117 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

You two need to stop trading insults on this thread. I'm sure if we wanted to watch the pants Monologues we'd rent it.

#118 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

I don't think it would be. Jagr wouldn't be locked up for long and it would be a stop gap until 2014 where there will be quite an impressive free agent class. Jagr on a 1 year deal couldn't hurt. Although I feel a better option would be Brunner on a 1-2 year deal.

I agree that this loss isn't as bad as some fans are making out. We have quite a bit of cap space now and we lose a first round draft pick in a weak draft. If this team can just make the playoffs I'll consider this season a success because I'm sure a lot of people now have us as this basement team. Which is BS.

n2eg.jpg

#119 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

I just realized. We won't have kovalchuk doing turn overs for 2 minutes on the blue line during powerplays. We will have an effective powerplay this year!!! excited!

Devils.

#120 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

I just realized. We won't have kovalchuk doing turn overs for 2 minutes on the blue line during powerplays. We will have an effective powerplay this year!!! excited!

Well we will certainly be less predictable on the PP. We won't have 4 guys paying pass the puck just to set one guy up for a shot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users