Photo

Kovalchuk Gone, What moves do we make now?

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#141 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,306 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

NJ pp averaged 48.8 s/60 minutes last year, good for 10th in the league.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#142 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

A "successful" season is making it to the playoffs.  Once you get there, anything can happen.  It's tough enough to predict whether a short term free agent signing gets you there, much less whether a particular player will perform well in April and May.  Making moves based on playoff performance is one of the worst things you can do . . . see Salvador, Bryce. 

Also, I'm against "giving the kids a year to develop" for its own sake.  They're either better than what you can put together otherwise, or they aren't.  In the meantime, you lose an RFA year, and the development might actually be stunted by getting minimal icetime in the NHL as opposed to the AHL or Junior. 

When I said kids I meant Larsson, Josefson, Matteau, Henrique, Tedenby, etc. We won't lose any RFA years with any of them. 

The other side of that is if we don't think we're contenders than it's a good idea to keep Gelinas, Urbom, Merrill, and Boucher away this year.

#143 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,676 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

If we're going to hold up on bringing in the kids then we need to have some good veteran mentors to be a bridge. Clowe, Ryder, Elias and Zubrus signing is a good start.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#144 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,142 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

NJ pp averaged 48.8 s/60 minutes last year, good for 10th in the league.

Well it was a powerplay that was designed to get as many shots on goal as possible at the cost of shot quality, so I'm not sure what powerplay shot totals from last year really tells us so far as the bottom line is concerned.  We also lost the guy that accounted for a lot of those shots, either by taking them himself, or drawing defenders away from the guy who ended up shooting.   

Anyway, I'd be curious to see if someone has looked at offensive zone powerplay possession as an indicator of powerplay effectiveness.  From watching the game anyway, you would think that the more time you're spending not chasing after cleared pucks, the better your chances of scoring.  (Yes, I realize the same principle ought to apply at even strength, but perhaps the effect is more pronounced on the powerplay).

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#145 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

The PP sample size was small enough to begin wtih, and that's before you account for Kovalchuk being hurt. Then you factor in virtually no training camp to speak of, a key part of the powerplay gone, and a new power play coach, it was to be expected that it would take some time for it to get off the ground if it ever did.

Then you would think with such little time and all that against them that they would try to do what worked for them the previous season under Oates, and Kovy was the focus on that PP. But all season Kovy was not the focus this year. Putting him on the right side completely eliminated his biggest threat on the PP.

#146 Devs4LIFE

Devs4LIFE

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:48 PM

I still say we make a move for Stastny, I know we already have a decent amount of pivots but Stastny would give us our first 1st line center since Arnott was on the team. As far as the wings go I'd rather have Jagr over Vanek who usually starts the season off hot and then cools down, Jagr can't still play the puck possession game and I think that at this point in his career Jagr isn't a ME ME ME type player, he's more willing to buy into a team system, otherwise he wouldn't have been successful on Boston.

Henrique-Stastny-Ryder

Elias-Zajac-Jagr

Clowe-Loktionov-Zubrus

Posted Image

#147 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,904 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

I don't think the Devils don't have the assets to trade for anyone like Paul Stastny.  It's whatever teams are willing to dump off, or the free agent market.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#148 Devs4LIFE

Devs4LIFE

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

I don't think the Devils don't have the assets to trade for anyone like Paul Stastny.  It's whatever teams are willing to dump off, or the free agent market.

What do you think it will take? They need an upgrade on D so we can send them Volchenkov, the rights to Josefson to plug in the hole at center left by Stastny's departure and a prospect defenseman like Urbom.

Posted Image

#149 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

How do you guys feel about Peter Mueller? 

#150 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,492 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

What do you think it will take? They need an upgrade on D so we can send them Volchenkov, the rights to Josefson to plug in the hole at center left by Stastny's departure and a prospect defenseman like Urbom.

This feels like an attempt at a fleece-job.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#151 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,938 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

This feels like an attempt at a fleece-job.

Yeah I can't see Colorado having any interest in Volchenkov with his contract. They'd want someone like Fayne and/or one of the young D prospects in a Stastny deal.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#152 Bibby89

Bibby89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

Josefson was left out of that lineup. Take advantage of whatever hype possibly surrounding him if any. Volchenkov an josefson could be a more appealing package for Statsny. Just throwing it out there. I may be alone on thinking josefson may never get to that breakout season.

#153 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,676 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

Please take a look at next year's free agency class next season before making trade suggestions. I don't want to bring anyone on in a trade that will be a free agent after next season.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#154 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

How do you guys feel about Peter Mueller? 

Too injury prone. Although he is a suburb player when hot.

n2eg.jpg

#155 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

Josefson was left out of that lineup. Take advantage of whatever hype possibly surrounding him if any. Volchenkov an josefson could be a more appealing package for Statsny. Just throwing it out there. I may be alone on thinking josefson may never get to that breakout season.

who the hell wants Volchenkov? And he's got an NTC anyway

And why trade for Stastny when you can just sign Grabo?

Edited by DH26, 12 July 2013 - 08:31 PM.

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users