2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:48 PM

just a true traitor in every single way possible.. still cannot believe this
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#42 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,428 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:48 PM

I think the extra minutes kill the rate, though.    Of course there's no way we'll ever know now, unless he comes back as a broken down 38 year old so people can throw sh!t at him.   Perhaps literally.

Now, if it was 2001 Elias who ran off to Russia, I'd drive my car off a cliff

How many minutes do you want to trim off?  His last full season in Atlanta he played 14:52 per game at ES and scored 43 points.  He had 46 points in 14:31 per game in 2008.  He had 42 points in 17:33 in 2012.  And that was his 'good' year.  

(Territorially he was not great in all of these years, so we can talk about that if you like, but his GOALS ON rate collapsed when he left Atlanta - goals against got way better too)

Edited by Triumph, 11 July 2013 - 09:51 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#43 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,539 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:50 PM

I don't blame the league for this one bit. The KHL will never, ever be a league that can compete with the NHL. The only star players who will want to be in that league are the greedy money hungry cowards like Kovy.

I don't need anytime to digest this because my stance will never change on this. I wish kovy nothing but the worst and I hope an injury comes back and bites him in the ass so he can't collect all the money he left us for.

fvck him, fvcking piece of sh!t.

A little bit of perspective helps. It's a frigging game, that's it. I have an irrational sense of grief over it, but I don't wish anything bad on Kovy, except that it'll feel a little better than it wouldn't have been a huge loss.

In the end, this is entertainment. I don't hate Jerry Seinfeld because he pulled the plug on the show, and I certainly dont wish him any physical harm.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#44 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

A little bit of perspective helps. It's a frigging game, that's it. I have an irrational sense of grief over it, but I don't wish anything bad on Kovy, except that it'll feel a little better than it wouldn't have been a huge loss.

In the end, this is entertainment. I don't hate Jerry Seinfeld because he pulled the plug on the show, and I certainly dont wish him any physical harm.

Ha! I love the analogy. Much like Kovy's career, the longer Seinfeld would have ran the worse the show quality would have got.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#45 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,539 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

Points per minute is so old even ESPN has listed it on their stats page. :lol:

I've seen shots per 60, which makes a certain amount of sense.

When he isn't there next year, we'll see if it means anything, especially if we get someone like Brunner or Jagr.
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#46 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:03 PM

How many minutes do you want to trim off?  His last full season in Atlanta he played 14:52 per game at ES and scored 43 points.  He had 46 points in 14:31 per game in 2008.  He had 42 points in 17:33 in 2012.  And that was his 'good' year.  

(Territorially he was not great in all of these years, so we can talk about that if you like, but his GOALS ON rate collapsed when he left Atlanta - goals against got way better too)

I don't know, I just know his minutes were sub-optimal.   I'm not sure he's good enough to put up big point totals in 18ish minutes like Elias in 01 or big goal totals like Mogs did that year with 16ish minutes TOI, but I would think playing less would have resulted in more optimal shifts.

#47 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:15 PM

Kovalchuk didn't retire. He whimpered out and quit on his team where he was the guy and decided to leave to go home. There he will play with SKA. And he isn't leaving any damn money on the table. If reports are true from TFP he is going to make $15 to $20 million A YEAR in the KHL. I can respect his desire to go home, but to leave a franchise that depends on you so much without any real notice or time for them to prepare and what not?

Unbelievable. With Parise and Kovalchuk leaving over a 3 year span it would be like Bergeron and Chara leaving Boston, Ovechkin and Green leaving Washington, Datsyuk and Zetterberg leaving Detriot, or Getzlaf and Perry leaving the Ducks.

Has any franchise in any sport taken such repeated blows almost every other year? Not just these two, Clarkson, Gomez, Nieds, Rafalski, etc. But then you have such faithful guys like Marty, Elias, Zajac, etc.

Edited by Mayday, 11 July 2013 - 10:16 PM.

#48 pumpkin cutter

pumpkin cutter

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:34 PM

Glad we got rid of that ridiculous contract. He fvcked us, no way to sugar coat it. We lose a pick, got a fine, and now we have to fill in this mega hole. Either way can't wait for hockey and to see a team that doesn't have any prima donnas on it.

#49 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,539 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

Glad we got rid of that ridiculous contract. He fvcked us, no way to sugar coat it. We lose a pick, got a fine, and now we have to fill in this mega hole. Either way can't wait for hockey and to see a team that doesn't have any prima donnas on it.

Kovy was not a prima donna.
Posted Image

#50 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,940 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:46 PM

Remember, it wasn't so long ago that Russians were yearning, screaming, begging for the chance to play in the NHL...not the opportunity to go BACK!

Simply amazing, isn't it? Now it seems they all want to go back behind the Iron Curtain.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#51 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,897 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:58 PM

Honestly, what the hell is stopping Ovechkin or Malkin from doing the same thing now? This is truly a game-changing precedent that has been set here.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#52 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:00 PM

Interesting points by original poster on NHL. They definitely have to be wondering if Kovy was an isolated incident or first of many(or at least a few) And the fact they have no binding agreements to prevent this from happening is troubling. Although it's hard for the NHL to grab players from European leagues regardless of contracts... and then cry when it happens to them.

For me this only makes me feel more strongly that long-term deals are a mistake. For teams especially, but even for players. 

How many of these type of deals ever work out? Hossa? Chara (which I think was under 10 years). Otherwise you've got Yashin/DiPietro which were disaster for Islanders. Luongo himself said "My contract sucks" and I'm sure management agreed. Bryz was bought out. I can't think of any others at this time of night... but I'm sure other people could add to the list.

It is Kovy's fault that he signed the contract. He may not have known that he would change his mind about it in 3 years... but that's why you don't sign one. If you want career flexibility signing a 15 year contract is a bad idea.

The thing that sucks the most is that the Devils lose a pick this year for signing a player who is no longer here. 

Posted Image

#53 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:02 PM

Honestly, what the hell is stopping Ovechkin or Malkin from doing the same thing now? This is truly a game-changing precedent that has been set here.

I don't think Malkin will leave yet.   Ovechkin, I'm not sure.   The four guys who were getting pressure in January were Datsyuk, Kovy, Ovechkin and Malkin.   One's jumped.   I guess we will see.

#54 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

It is Kovy's fault that he signed the contract. He may not have known that he would change his mind about it in 3 years... but that's why you don't sign one. If you want career flexibility signing a 15 year contract is a bad idea.

This. Teams are on the hook for bad contracts. Players should be too. In exchange for guaranteed money, you give up flexibility. Kovy got his cake and ate it too, and there's nothing to stop other guys from doing the same thing.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#55 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:13 PM

Simply amazing, isn't it? Now it seems they all want to go back behind the Iron Curtain.

It's good to see that you're out of you're coma. Let me update you on the past 21 years.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#56 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,897 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

I don't think Malkin will leave yet. Ovechkin, I'm not sure. The four guys who were getting pressure in January were Datsyuk, Kovy, Ovechkin and Malkin. One's jumped. I guess we will see.

You know that series on NHL Network, 'A Day That Changed The Game'?. Well... Today may have been one.

Edited by MadDog2020, 11 July 2013 - 11:14 PM.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#57 CaptainRafalski

CaptainRafalski

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:16 PM

Clearly, as far as dark days in the Devils franchise go, Kovy "retiring" ranks waaaaaay the hell up there.  Goes without saying...and even worse, as fans it was damned near impossible to see this coming.  We were all blindsided today, and as expected, we all experienced a lot of emotions and feelings, and pretty much all of them were negative.

I am disappointed, but now that the shock is over, I can't say that I am angry with Kovy necessarily.  Don't get me wrong, as far as CR1976 the Devils fan goes, the fvcker's dead to me forever, but the human being in me sees it this way:

He's not American.  He's Russian.  Clearly Russia feels right to him in a way America never did. 

It's easy to say, "Well, if he had any doubts about staying here, he shouldn't have signed that deal."  He signed it in 2010.  It's now 2013.  A lot can happen in three years.  People can change.  What seemed like a great idea in 2010 can feel like a lousy one a few years later.  Since Kovy clearly had a change of heart and no longer wanted to be a part of this franchise, it's a good thing that the Devils are no longer on the hook for paying him $77 million.  Yes, it's going to hurt in the short term, but Kovy's contract was a bad one the minute it was signed.  I can't imagine he could've held up continuing to carry the workload that was being asked of him.  His deal was going to be a rough one in time (same as Parise's).  With this contract null and void, new opportunities WILL present themselves, but I'm not going to pretend that the Devils became a better team today.   

So in short, I can't bring myself to hate Kovy.

But I can hate the NHL right now.  Because today showed that the brand has been cheapened, and the NHL has no else to blame but themselves for this.  They've taken the brand for granted for too long, and because of their arrogance (thank you Gary Bettman), they allowed another game to ride into their turf and become a competitor for the world's best players' services.  This is such a sad joke.  The NHL is supposed to be the best league in the world, the league where the top players from all-around want to compete for the right to hoist hockey's ultimate trophy. That's supposed to be a fvcking NO BRAINER!  Remember, it wasn't so long ago that Russians were yearning, screaming, begging for the chance to play in the NHL...not the opportunity to go BACK! 

With Kovy's defection, to me, everything about the NHL took a hit today.  The league, how it's perceived, the Cup...somehow all of it seems a little less significant, a little less important, and the NHL is not a league that can afford to take hits to its credibility like this.  One of its best players willingly turned his back on what is allegedly THE friggin' PREMIER hockey league of the world.  I'm still amazed that this could even happen, regardless of the circumstances.   

Anywhere, just curious where others who are somewhat breathing normally again are.

Your points about the decline of the nhl have been overlooked and are very important.

#58 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:18 PM

The points about the decline are BS.   The league is booming, it's just you're in a forum full of NA who follow other sports which have no competition.

There is nothing they can do about this.   They have a wide player pool and someone else has been able to tap in on this in the model of soccer, with stupid money and no intention of running a business.

The only way the NHL has reaped what they sow is in their transfer dealings where they lowball everyone.   So there is zero built-in sympathy.   And sooner or later player pool countries in Europe will all have KHL franchises in their countries.

Edited by maxpower, 11 July 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#59 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,940 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:19 PM

You know that series on NHL Network, 'A Day That Changed The Game'?. Well... Today may have been one.

Speaking of the NHL Network, nice timing for a summer hiatus. Can't put the TSN feed on for something dramatic like this instead of rerunning old Winter Classics?
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#60 CaptainRafalski

CaptainRafalski

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:21 PM

Guy doesn't want to play here? Fine, we'll get somebody who does. Good luck in russia where you figure skate at the all star game and have uniforms that look like nascars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users