655 replies to this topic

#201 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:24 PM

I would be disgusted if cam made the team out of camp. It would mean either a ton of injuries or something went very wrong with te guys they have in camp. Now, could he get a game or two as "the mascot" (tri's nickname) in the middle of the season with some injuries and a matchup against a thug team? Perhaps. But cam on this team at any point means something has gone wrong.

I doubt he see's many if any games with the big club this season

Let's see what kind of a coach Debo is this year with a bunch of unknowns, I hope there's a healthy competition for spots (and no automatics)

#202 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

It's a start, if the reports are true. I don't get Stereo's 'world is ending no matter what we do' scenarios. I've been a fan of this team that skated lineups much less impressive than this one and still competed. We don't have to win the President's trophy this year, but I cannot foresee a team that flops in Marty's last season. Putting up a playoff worthy regular season in the wake of this disaster would be a great win for the franchise, and with the UFA class next year, who knows what the future holds? Brunner helps the team now. What's not to like?

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#203 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

I would be disgusted if cam made the team out of camp. It would mean either a ton of injuries or something went very wrong with te guys they have in camp. Now, could he get a game or two as "the mascot" (tri's nickname) in the middle of the season with some injuries and a matchup against a thug team? Perhaps. But cam on this team at any point means something has gone wrong.

I don't necessarily WANT him, but I can see the logic in this division with the other teams' goons. Especially because we're going to be relying on Elias a ton this year.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#204 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

I don't necessarily WANT him, but I can see the logic in this division with the other teams' goons. Especially because we're going to be relying on Elias a ton this year.

Clowe and Ryder are no slouches especially Ryder who has a really quick wrister. Don't forget Zubrus, Carter, Bernier, Zajac and Henrique. I'm excited to see what Olesz can do since he was coached by Deboer in Florida. In addition we have at least three good offensive defensemen in Zids, Greene and Fayne.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#205 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

You're bumping olesz out of the top 12 w/ 2 signings and I don't think that's happening. As it is, signing brunner, which I very much want, knocks gionta out and we know the devils are fond of him.
I think they're signing one more forward and that's what they'll go to camp with. That alone knocks one of barch, gionta and tedenby off the varsity and we know barch stays to be the resident punching bag

Oups just forgot about him hes clearly better than tedenby.

www.SterioDesign.com

#206 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

Clowe and Ryder are no slouches especially Ryder who has a really quick wrister. Don't forget Zubrus, Carter, Bernier, Zajac and Henrique. I'm excited to see what Olesz can do since he was coached by Deboer in Florida. In addition we have at least three good offensive defensemen in Zids, Greene and Fayne.

Slouches? No. But Elias not only creates his own shot in ways other guys can't, he also creates a lot of their shots, and draws the defense. I think Ryder especially is going to help open things up a lot, but I think all the other guys you mentioned, with the possible exception of Henrique, need someone on their line to help them, and the offense is therefore going to run through Elias a lot.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#207 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

I think we have 3 second lines, as far as skill and energy is concerned. We don't have one single powerhouse line like other teams do, but I think we're deeper going into this season once we go down the bench, and we know how important that is in today's league.

#208 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:23 PM

I think we have 3 second lines, as far as skill and energy is concerned. We don't have one single powerhouse line like other teams do, but I think we're deeper going into this season once we go down the bench, and we know how important that is in today's league.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's better than having one "powerhouse line" then three that you're embarrassed to roll out (Rangers)
6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#209 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

I would rather have 3 solid lines full of guys that can score 20 to 30 goals than rely on one guy who can score 40. We all saw what happened when that guy went down.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#210 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:16 PM

Agreed; 3 second lines isn't ideal but it's far from a panic situation as well. I could live with that, and with our new goalie tandem you certainly look good to hit the playoffs like that as well.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#211 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:34 PM

Elias wasn't 'matched into oblivion' when Kovalchuk wasn't here.  In fact, he and Zajac (and Clarkson) were incredible at keeping the puck in the opponent's end.

We'll see.   He's another season older and I don't like him having to be a "target".  

#212 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,363 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:20 AM

We'll see.   He's another season older and I don't like him having to be a "target".  

Keep him targeting others then. Just play him in defensive zone and against top lines and other teams checkers won't be out against him. If you zone match then it creates mismatches for opposing teams coaches.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#213 Steadevils

Steadevils

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:20 AM

Just need one of those "2nd lines" to find some real chemistry and they can become a 1st line. We've seen it before with the devils A-line, EGG, ZZ-pops. None of those were really powerhouse lines on paper, but caused serious damage due to clicking as a unit. All that would be left after that is to name them.

"I realized from Day 1 the way I played I'd never be a Gretzky or a Lemieux, well, a Mario I mean. I was never going to be a player to get standing ovations in a visitors' building."

-- Claude Lemieux - May 7, 1999

#214 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

per TG

Just talked to Damien Brunner's agent, Neil Sheehy. Wouldn't say which teams he's talked to. Says "nothing imminent" as far as signing.

well this is shutting some rumours and it's making me nervous a little, we REALLY need to sign another scorer at the very least

www.SterioDesign.com

#215 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,562 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

When has an agent said he's talking with the Devils?  Just means that @SwissNHL was wrong.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#216 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,384 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

We don't need an expensive UFA.  Just someone who can score AND play both ends of the ice.   No need to panic.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#217 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

When has an agent said he's talking with the Devils?  Just means that @SwissNHL was wrong.

guess thats right. But the fact he "wouldnt say" can also led us to believe that the Devils are actually in the mix haha

www.SterioDesign.com

#218 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

Whatever, that development sounds good to me. I don't care about Brunner, he's an unproven, flashy players who's most well known feat was that nice shootout move against the Jackets. Color me unimpressed, just give me Mason Raymond.

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#219 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,060 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:20 AM

Whatever, that development sounds good to me. I don't care about Brunner, he's an unproven, flashy players who's most well known feat was that nice shootout move against the Jackets. Color me unimpressed, just give me Mason Raymond.

Good, we'll color you unimpressed while all the Detroit fans who actually watched him play talk about how sorry they are to lose him.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#220 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,562 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

Good, we'll color you unimpressed while all the Detroit fans who actually watched him play talk about how sorry they are to lose him.

And how unsorry Vancouver fans are to lose Mason Raymond, about whom the only thing 'proven' is that he's on the decline at age 27.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users