655 replies to this topic

#461 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:23 PM

btw - i'm as big a bull on loktionov as anyone but other than a good 2 1/2 weeks with kovalchuk, he wasn't exactly a sure thing here. he got demoted and then scratched for a time. i know josefson has gotten hurt and underwhelmed offensively when given a chance but he's proven to be adaptable to playing wing and can go up against tough competition and not get run out of town.

both, i would say, are equal question marks for this year

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#462 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:24 PM

btw - i'm as big a bull on loktionov as anyone but other than a good 2 1/2 weeks with kovalchuk, he wasn't exactly a sure thing here. he got demoted and then scratched for a time. i know josefson has gotten hurt and underwhelmed offensively when given a chance but he's proven to be adaptable to playing wing and can go up against tough competition and not get run out of town.

both, i would say, are equal question marks for this year

Loktionov was never demoted, besides initially when the Devils got him.  He was scratched late in the season, but I suspect that was to evaluate everyone more than anything else.

Whether the points come is a question but the territorial play was impressive all the way around.  It's not like it's stapled to a guy who doesn't produce much, like Zharkov, either - Loktionov has very good numbers in the minor leagues.  

I don't think it's a sure thing either but only because GMs have a tendency to treat found money foolishly - assuming there's no steps back, Loktionov should be a 15 minute a game player.

Edited by Triumph, 03 September 2013 - 10:26 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#463 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:23 PM

I'm guessing Lou tried to sign Brunner and when he couldn't reach an agreement went with Jagr.

Works out fine considering next year's UFA group is much better and Lou could end up with someone better than Brunner for long term top 6 RW.

Next years UFA's (obviously most of them won't even make it to July)...

http://capgeek.com/f...-1&fa_type_id=2

Anyone in particular that you have in mind? Stastny doesn't play on the wing ever, does he? Other than him Kulemin and Setoguchi seem like the only others I could see making it to free agency that are somewhat interesting as a top-6 solution. That's assuming Kulemin is improving still.

Say what you will about Stastny, but I still think he can be a good player in a change of scenery.

#464 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:36 PM

Loktionov was never demoted, besides initially when the Devils got him.  He was scratched late in the season, but I suspect that was to evaluate everyone more than anything else.

Whether the points come is a question but the territorial play was impressive all the way around.  It's not like it's stapled to a guy who doesn't produce much, like Zharkov, either - Loktionov has very good numbers in the minor leagues.  

I don't think it's a sure thing either but only because GMs have a tendency to treat found money foolishly - assuming there's no steps back, Loktionov should be a 15 minute a game player.

i should have clarified - i did not mean sent to albany - i meant put on lower lines and less important roles.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#465 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

Anyone in particular that you have in mind? Stastny doesn't play on the wing ever, does he? Other than him Kulemin and Setoguchi seem like the only others I could see making it to free agency that are somewhat interesting as a top-6 solution. That's assuming Kulemin is improving still.

Say what you will about Stastny, but I still think he can be a good player in a change of scenery.

I wouldn't mind going for Stastny for out first line center (or 1A) and then bumping Henrique to wing. 

I don't think the Devils will land any of the big ones. Maybe Gaborik if he doesn't like Columbus. Would be great if we could land Kessel but I think we all know that won't happen.

#466 Bibby89

Bibby89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:47 PM

Latest "reports" are he may be headed back to Switzerland. Getting comical now.

#467 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:07 AM

He priced himself out of the NHL, some baaad advice from his manager. He shoulda signed that wings contract, proven himself, then ask for a phat contract. Maybe he will reconsider his asking price and still end up in the NHL somewhere. Sucks for him.

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#468 bekim

bekim

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:43 AM

I had a weird dream last night. The Devils were going to make an announcement, and all the fans thought it would be the signing of Brunner or Boyes, and instead, NJ announces Rod Brindamour coming out of retirement to play 1 more season with the Devils.

#469 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:17 AM

I had a weird dream last night. The Devils were going to make an announcement, and all the fans thought it would be the signing of Brunner or Boyes, and instead, NJ announces Rod Brindamour coming out of retirement to play 1 more season with the Devils.

Really? Rod Brind'amour? Not only is he the only guy uglier than Lyle Odelein, he's also most closely associated to me with the Flyers and Hurricanes. Definitely not my first choice in terms of dreaming of bringing someone out of retirement. :P

On a positive note, it'd piss off the Philly faithful something awful.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#470 bekim

bekim

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:42 AM

Really? Rod Brind'amour? Not only is he the only guy uglier than Lyle Odelein, he's also most closely associated to me with the Flyers and Hurricanes. Definitely not my first choice in terms of dreaming of bringing someone out of retirement. :P

On a positive note, it'd piss off the Philly faithful something awful.

Cmon, be fair.  You're forgetting Mike Ricci.

#471 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

Cmon, be fair.  You're forgetting Mike Ricci.

OK, let's have it out; which one's uglier?

mike_ricci_081107.jpg20110218_dn_z1flye18s.JPGOdelein_Lyle_1.jpg

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#472 Bibby89

Bibby89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

Odelein always reminded me of the bad guy from the Crow with short hair.

#473 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,096 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:55 PM

Barnaby was dead on when he called Odelein "Cornelius".

Brinda'Amour looks like a camel.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#474 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

mike_ricci_081107.jpg20110218_dn_z1flye18s.JPGOdelein_Lyle_1.jpg

Always thought this guy was the ugliest in the NHL lol

richar5.jpg

www.SterioDesign.com

#475 Rogan The Goat

Rogan The Goat

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:05 PM

http://www.theschool...08/hartnell.jpg

Got you all beat.

#476 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:08 AM

Why is Bobby Holik not part of this discussion?

"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#477 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:49 AM

Tyler Kennedy's nose belongs here.

Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#478 Maddog

Maddog

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

Hearing UFA ex-Wing Damien Brunner may be talking to Dallas (Jim Nill knows him) and New Jersey, possibly also Vancouver.

https://twitter.com/...156030850387968

Edited by Maddog, 12 September 2013 - 09:27 AM.

MDD_zpsbc48401d.png

#479 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

This thread is epic.

#480 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:35 AM

poor dude.  Sucks to be him, no matter how you slice it.  He's probably going to hate us if he doesn't sign here - as well as any other team with failed negotiations.  Unless he has no pride -- that's cool then.  Of course I hope he's not here then.

I'm here for the party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users