54 replies to this topic

#41 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

IMO, Urbom has had some NHL games where he looked pretty decent. Trying to attribute much to 1 games has the chance to be fairly specious.

Exactly. I want to see someone get a nice stretch of games, at least 5-6 in a row. That way they can at least get into a groove or find the right pairing to see if they can prove their worth.

#42 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,490 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

Exactly. I want to see someone get a nice stretch of games, at least 5-6 in a row. That way they can at least get into a groove or find the right pairing to see if they can prove their worth.

I remember him at the beginning of the 2010-11 season for a stretch of about 5 games and I was still not that impressed.  Yes he was very young but for all the hype I was just a little underwhelmed.

Larsson while having a rocky rookie season at times, I could at least see his potential.

I guess with Urbom the fact that he is on a team whose farm system is a but thin, he gets hyped up by a lot of Devils fans.  I am guessing on a team with a stronger farm system he would not get nearly as much attention.

Edited by DevsMan84, 17 July 2013 - 09:05 AM.

#43 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

Garvus is playing in the khl this season

#44 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

I remember him at the beginning of the 2010-11 season for a stretch of about 5 games and I was still not that impressed.  Yes he was very young but for all the hype I was just a little underwhelmed.

Larsson while having a rocky rookie season at times, I could at least see his potential.

I guess with Urbom the fact that he is on a team whose farm system is a but thin, he gets hyped up by a lot of Devils fans.  I am guessing on a team with a stronger farm system he would not get nearly as much attention.

Neither Urbom or Gelinas blew me away with what I saw over the past couple years, but now the beginning of the 10-11 season is 3 years in the past. I'd like to see what either of these guys, or even Merrill, could do with a few consecutive games with the big club.

#45 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

Neither Urbom or Gelinas blew me away with what I saw over the past couple years, but now the beginning of the 10-11 season is 3 years in the past. I'd like to see what either of these guys, or even Merrill, could do with a few consecutive games with the big club.

Unless Lou improves today's team you will get your wish.

#46 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

Unless Lou improves today's team you will get your wish.

This makes sense how? Any moves to be made are being made on offense and if we make any moves involving defense, it's going to be shipping someone out, not bringing someone in. I think it's pretty clear that a young guy will get time in NJ this year, no matter what happens.

#47 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

This makes sense how? Any moves to be made are being made on offense and if we make any moves involving defense, it's going to be shipping someone out, not bringing someone in. I think it's pretty clear that a young guy will get time in NJ this year, no matter what happens.

If the team can't score might as well let the rookies both D & O play for experience.

#48 Steadevils

Steadevils

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:51 AM

Question: Why is the prevailing opinion that Boucher is absolutely not ready for the NHL? I understand that his skating, strength, and defensive accumen needs work, but is it any worse than the aging Sykora in 2011-2012? There are no advanced stats available in the OHL (that I can find) and the only time i saw him play a full game was in the last game of the year for Albany (seemed to be a very good passer, which is the opposite of what i was expecting due to his "pure sniper" reputation). I just think for a team looking for goals we are very quick to dismiss this kid entirely. If we don't sign another winger, putting him with Elias and Zajac makes a whole lot of sense to me. That being said I hope we do sign a winger and that Boucher can go down and rip G's in Albany, grow his confidence at the pro level, and then be ready to snipe in 2014-15. High hopes for this kid...

Now people who know more than me=> dash these hopes.  

"I realized from Day 1 the way I played I'd never be a Gretzky or a Lemieux, well, a Mario I mean. I was never going to be a player to get standing ovations in a visitors' building."

-- Claude Lemieux - May 7, 1999

#49 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

It's not as much of a question of whether he is NHL ready as it is a question of who he beats out of the lineup. While the Devils lack high end scoring talent, they've got a really solid bottom six (it's hard to believe he'd get in over Bernier, Carter, or Olesz). If the Devils don't end up signing Brunner, I think Tedenby gets a shot long before Boucher does.

#50 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

"@Ledger_NJDevils: Devils prospects went to see Spiderman last night. They scrimmage today at 2 p.m."

^^^haha I don't know, it just seemed funny. I just imagined Lou and Stevens chaperoning them over to Broadway and 42nd street and it made me laugh.

Edited by DJ Eco, 18 July 2013 - 08:50 AM.

#51 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

It's not as much of a question of whether he is NHL ready as it is a question of who he beats out of the lineup. While the Devils lack high end scoring talent, they've got a really solid bottom six (it's hard to believe he'd get in over Bernier, Carter, or Olesz). If the Devils don't end up signing Brunner, I think Tedenby gets a shot long before Boucher does.

That and because of what his game is missing, he'll have to be protected and score a bunch to be worthwhile. He can't really just come in and be ok, score a few goals here and there. If he comes in, it'll either be just a couple games to see how he does or he'll have to score at a pace where he'll pot 20+ over 82 games.

#52 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:36 PM

Great interview from Santini. He talks very highly of the club and even gives a plug for Dino BBQ lol.. and he grew up a Ranger fan just north of the city :P

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#53 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:27 AM

Santini seems like a great kid. I hope he continues to improve.

#54 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:20 AM

Judging by his youtube footage I saw, he's going to be our Dan Girardi. We look really great on the back end and in net for years.  This is a pivotal year for JJ/Teddy.  They both need to show why they went in first round.  

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#55 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,488 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

Great interview from Santini. He talks very highly of the club and even gives a plug for Dino BBQ lol.. and he grew up a Ranger fan just north of the city :P

You gotta know he's so grateful to finally have a graceful way out of the whole "Rangers Fan" scene. :giggle:

Edited by Pepperkorn, 19 July 2013 - 11:21 AM.

I'm here for the party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users