Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

you're a little late on this one

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#3 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

I know Don Cherry is kind of a goof and a charicature, but here's his take:

http://nhl.si.com/20...k/?sct=obinsite

Author got Kovy's stats wrong from last year...used his KHL numbers (18 G in 36 GP) instead of his NHL numbers (11 G in 37 GP) for the 2013 season.

Kind of subdued for Cherry, but basically said that he thought the Finals against a tough and physical LA Kings teams was decidedly too much for Kovy, and also added that at the end that getting out of your NHL to make lots of money is a good deal, as long as you have no honor.  Ouch. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#4 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,744 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:09 PM

Of course Cherry doesn't acknowledge that Kovalchuk was playing with a back injury throughout the entire playoffs.  Yeah, he was spent at that point, but he'd been playing for 6 weeks with what appeared to be a serious injury.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#5 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

I know Don Cherry is kind of a goof and a charicature, but here's his take:

http://nhl.si.com/20...k/?sct=obinsite

Author got Kovy's stats wrong from last year...used his KHL numbers (18 G in 36 GP) instead of his NHL numbers (11 G in 37 GP) for the 2013 season.

Kind of subdued for Cherry, but basically said that he thought the Finals against a tough and physical LA Kings teams was decidedly too much for Kovy, and also added that at the end that getting out of your NHL to make lots of money is a good deal, as long as you have no honor.  Ouch. 

To see the media in general and even other team's fans feel bad for us and defend the Devils is sorta weirdly refreshing.

#6 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

Probably getting 60-80M in those four years.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#7 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

My sources tell me the contract includes bonus shares in Lukoil Corporation and complete ownership of the Lukoil gas station on McCarter Highway in Newark, New Jersey. 

Edited by GoArmySports, 15 July 2013 - 02:21 PM.

#8 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

Of course Cherry doesn't acknowledge that Kovalchuk was playing with a back injury throughout the entire playoffs. Yeah, he was spent at that point, but he'd been playing for 6 weeks with what appeared to be a serious injury.

Not to mention that all of those other North America boys on the Devils left a lot to be desired in that series.
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#9 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,744 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

Not to mention that all of those other North America boys on the Devils left a lot to be desired in that series.

His boy Clarkson had 6 shots on goal in the 6 games.  

#10 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

Of course Cherry doesn't acknowledge that Kovalchuk was playing with a back injury throughout the entire playoffs.  Yeah, he was spent at that point, but he'd been playing for 6 weeks with what appeared to be a serious injury.

I kind of agree with Cherry, but not with Cherry's implied take that most Russians are soft pussies by default (it's pretty crystal-clear that Cherry doesn't like Russians).  Kovy didn't play soft as a NJ Devil, but I do think that though he did play hard as a Devil, he was aware enough of the toll that it would take on his body that he chose the KHL, the money, and the 52-game schedule that it offers.  I don't know how physical the KHL is compared to the NHL; I've never seen anything more than an occasional highlight to know what the play is like in that league. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 15 July 2013 - 02:48 PM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#11 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,898 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

nobody does and its pissing me off. Even though he even missed a game in round 2 with injury they still ignore that he was playing with huge back pain

www.SterioDesign.com

#12 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

I kind of agree with Cherry, but not with Cherry's implied take that most Russians are soft pussies by default (it's pretty crystal-clear that Cherry doesn't like Russians).  Kovy didn't play soft as a NJ Devil, but I do think that though he did play hard as a Devil, he was aware enough of the toll that it would take on his body that he chose the KHL, the money, and the 52-game schedule that it offers.  I don't know how physical the KHL is compared to the NHL; I've never seen anything more than an occasional highlight to know what they play is like in that league. 

Do they use the larger international ice surface? I'd guess there would be less contact from the extra space if so.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#13 Deek_1969

Deek_1969

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

So if Kovy does come back to the NHL does the 250k per come off our cap???

[size=5][color=#FF0000]The strong take from the weak and the smart take from the strong.

#14 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

So if Kovy does come back to the NHL does the 250k per come off our cap???

Nope
Posted Image

#15 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

i'm guessing his contract is HUUUUUUGE, LIKE THE UNIVERSE!

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#16 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

i'm guessing his contract is HUUUUUUGE, LIKE THE UNIVERSE!

Humongous beeeeeg?!?

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#17 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:19 PM

nobody does and its pissing me off. Even though he even missed a game in round 2 with injury they still ignore that he was playing with huge back pain

With all due respect, what are you talking about?  The only real criticisms I've read of Kovy having nothing to do with his 2012 playoff run (and I'm at a loss as to how anyone COULD criticize that).  A lot of people don't like Kovy bailing out on Year 4 of a 15-year deal by "retiring", to go to the KHL.  Yes, he played through back pain in 2012, but what does that have to do with what many people appear to have a problem with?  What do you expect people to say who aren't happy with what Kovy did?  "At least he played though back pain during the 2012 playoffs?"  A lot of people are very disappointed in what Kovy did...they're not going to go out of their way to point out the good things he did in his now-defunct NHL career.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 15 July 2013 - 03:26 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#18 Joonas #6

Joonas #6

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

@dchesnokov

Without stating the actual numbers, Kovalchuk's SKA salary is comparable to what he would have earned in NJ in the next 4 years

I fvcking hate animated avatars and signatures.

#19 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,744 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

With all due respect, what are you talking about?  The only real criticisms I've read of Kovy having nothing to do with his 2012 playoff run (and I'm at a loss as to how anyone COULD criticize that).  A lot of people don't like Kovy bailing out on Year 4 of a 15-year deal by "retiring", to go to the KHL.  Yes, he played through back pain in 2012, but what does that have to do with what many people appear to have a problem with?  What do you expect people to say who aren't happy with what Kovy did to say?  "At least he played though back pain during the 2012 playoffs?"

http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=5352

Comment by Pat Mc is illuminating also.

Regarding physical play in the KHL, there isn't much at all, because it doesn't make any sense on the ice surface.

Edited by Triumph, 15 July 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#20 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

@dchesnokov

If this is true, this is an even bigger slap in the face to the Devils organization and fans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users