Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,730 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=5352

Comment by Pat Mc is illuminating also.

Regarding physical play in the KHL, there isn't much at all, because it doesn't make any sense on the ice surface.

I meant people criticizing his 2012 playoff NOW, but I wasn't familiar with the CBC critiques back then (never saw their SCF feeds).  Suffice it to say Healy and Hughson were off-base though. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#22 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

Of course Cherry doesn't acknowledge that Kovalchuk was playing with a back injury throughout the entire playoffs.  Yeah, he was spent at that point, but he'd been playing for 6 weeks with what appeared to be a serious injury.

And then nothing came of that and he played a full season + WC the next season.    

#23 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,918 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

And then nothing came of that and he played a full season + WC the next season.    

Right, he was faking the entire time.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#24 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

The Kovy bashing is reaching pretty ridiculous levels..

Posted Image

#25 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

I'm not saying he was faking, just that maybe some people overestimated his injuries.   He never actually said what it is, there's just alot of assumptions.   There was no report of him having any work done, he played for SKA on time, he played for the Devils on time, and he played in the WC on time.

#26 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,894 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

I'm not saying he was faking, just that maybe some people overestimated his injuries. He never actually said what it is, there's just alot of assumptions. There was no report of him having any work done, he played for SKA on time, he played for the Devils on time, and he played in the WC on time.

They basically had to numb his back during the playoffs. And from what I've heard it was sciatica nerve related. How long it takes for that kind of injury to heal I don't know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#27 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

They basically had to numb his back during the playoffs. And from what I've heard it was sciatica nerve related. How long it takes for that kind of injury to heal I don't know. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I could see that.   And he was a little slower.    But I don't think he missed any games for anyone because of his back last season.   I'm just saying it wasn't like it was a disc injury where he had to go in for surgery or anything like that.

#28 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

I could see that.   And he was a little slower.    But I don't think he missed any games for anyone because of his back last season.   I'm just saying it wasn't like it was a disc injury where he had to go in for surgery or anything like that.

He got sucker cross checked in the back while being nowhere near the play last season and he never skated the same until he came back from his shoulder injury.  He was skating great, then the dirty cross check, then back to stiff skating until he got to take a few weeks off.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#29 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

I meant people criticizing his 2012 playoff NOW, but I wasn't familiar with the CBC critiques back then (never saw their SCF feeds).  Suffice it to say Healy and Hughson were off-base though. 

I had forgotten how disgusting and lazy that narrative was by CBC. No mention of Kovalchuk playing hurt. Just continuous bashing from everyone at CBC. Yet when any North American appears to be not playing as hard as he could be, it's always a historic tale of how injured he is. Man that was painful.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#30 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

He got sucker cross checked in the back while being nowhere near the play last season and he never skated the same until he came back from his shoulder injury.  He was skating great, then the dirty cross check, then back to stiff skating until he got to take a few weeks off.

I thought he was a little slower for us last season than he had been in the past, before anything happened.    I just meant I don't think it was a severe injury by any stretch of the imagination.   Watching him in the 2012 playoffs, I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop after the season ended.   So it probably is a rest thing and not the "oh no, he might need surgery" thing I thought it could be in 2012

#31 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

If this is true, this is an even bigger slap in the face to the Devils organization and fans.

That would basically, in a nutshell, say that Kovalchuk left the NHL as a protest against NJ and the fact that he doesn't like the way this place is run.

#32 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

That would basically, in a nutshell, say that Kovalchuk left the NHL as a protest against NJ and the fact that he doesn't like the way this place is run.

Salary is salary, there's other things he will get.

#33 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

If this is true, this is an even bigger slap in the face to the Devils organization and fans.

I respectfully disagree. He and the people around him have been saying it wasn't about the money. It seems like he really just wanted to go back to see his family and play in Russia, believe it or not. If he were getting the $20m that was originally reported, we could all call him a greedy snake, but it's not.

#34 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

He is getting 15 mill per

#35 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

Sciatic issues can be very debilitating, and the only real way to relieve them is rest. In my younger hockey days I somehow tweaked something that affected my sciatic nerve, and it was some pretty intense pain for a few days.

Salary is salary, there's other things he will get.

Yep. Plus, $11 million taxed in NJ and $11 million without tax in Russia are 2 very different numbers.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#36 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

I respectfully disagree. He and the people around him have been saying it wasn't about the money. It seems like he really just wanted to go back to see his family and play in Russia, believe it or not. If he were getting the $20m that was originally reported, we could all call him a greedy snake, but it's not.

How do you know he's not?     They could be covering all of his expenses + perks.    Those things don't have a value that can be immediately reported.  

#37 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,279 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

His salary will be less taxed so money definitely played a part in it.

He is rich enough to buy his family plane tickets and a house here.  He chose a profession that requires a lot of travel.  Hell with the KHL he will be all over Eastern Europe, so how much more do you think he will see his family?  I call bullsh!t on the whole " I want to be near my family" excuse.

#38 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

I call bullsh!t on the whole " I want to be near my family" excuse.

Oh, you "call bullsh!t on it"? Must not be true then. Thanks for clearing that up.

Posted Image

#39 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

Yeah maybe he did want to go home to his family, still doesn't excuse he signed a commitment here and it was expected he would fulfill that for as long as possible. He just is doing what a lot of Russians are doing, wanting the adoration of their home country fans while some Oil or Mining tycoon backs a truckload of money up to his door. They'd love the KHL to be like the old Red Army. I believe a lot of those stories about how players are treated over there, but Kovy's too big of a star to ever have to worry about that. He's like their Sidney Crosby over there.

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#40 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:48 PM

Kovy didn't break any rules. He is the one who was locked out (read; not payed the money agreed upon in his contract) by his employer, which in turn forced him to play in Russia, where he grew up and where his family lives. As chance would have it, he enjoyed going back. Then he is offered what is likely even more money then what his current NHL contract gives him, with lower taxes, no escrow, no lockouts or buyouts.. All in the comfort of his home town.

Why do you expect NHL players to respectfully play out their contracts, when NHL clubs frequently don't (lockouts/buyouts)? And besides.. Looking at how Kovys contract was set up, the LAST thing anyone should expect would be for him to play out it's duration.. CLEARLY, that is not what the Devs had in mind when they tried to sign him up for 17 years.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users