• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,825 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

There's no way Pittsburgh and Philly were getting split up, nor should they.  The object wasn't to get all of the Easternmost teams in the same division at the expense of rivalries.

They had no problem moving Detroit away from Chi and St Louis abd Dal or Fla/TB away from Car

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#42 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,234 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:23 PM

They had no problem moving Detroit away from Chi and St Louis abd Dal or Fla/TB away from Car

Detroit was pushing for a move to the East for years though. I also doubt the NHL cared much about keeping any of the southeast "rivalries" intact.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#43 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,275 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

Detroit also gets to play a ton of Original Six teams they weren't playing much before (Boston, Toronto, Montreal) in exchange for the Chicago one going bye-bye.  Chicago's really the only one that lost in that equation.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 22 July 2013 - 07:13 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#44 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:28 AM

I just don't understand why Fla and Tampa are in Atlantic instead of Metro and Pitts & Columbus are not in Atllantic

Changing the Atlantic to Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay and Toronto is mystifying. They saved three regional names and added the Metro Division. I would've honored history and gone back to the classic divisions (Adams, Patrick, Norris, Smythe). Having 16 teams in the East is unfair. The conference is much stronger with the additions of Columbus and Detroit. It just became much harder to make the playoffs. Eventually, they'll expand to 32 with possible destinations in Portland, Seattle and Kansas City.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users