115 replies to this topic

#101 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

The most apt name for that division would be the NorthSouth Division. But that would reflect the NHL's idiocy to a T and the NHL knows it, so it would never happen.

Haha I think I'm just going to start calling it the NorthSouth Division now.

Just call them the Eastern Division (there's already a Central after all), problem solved.  I guess they didn't want to have an East without a West though, and they wanted an Atlantic/Pacific combo.

That would seem to make sense, but I guess they thought it would be confusing with an Eastern Division and an Eastern Conference, and you can easily just say first place in the "Atlantic" or "Metropolitan" and it is clear you are talking about first in their division, but if there was an Eastern Division, you'd have to always specify whether you're talking about the division or the conference.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#102 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,004 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:23 PM

http://deadspin.com/...-of-t-839430453

Despite our hopes, we will not be getting a Flortheast division. Bummer. What we will be getting are the Pacific, Central, Atlantic, and Metropolitan(?) divisions. Yes, that's three distinct geographical locations and one word that can be used to describe any large city. Good job, NHL.

Oh yea

#103 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:25 PM

jim-b-gill-island_thumb.jpg

"I believe we'll go see the hockey match tonight."

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#104 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

Metropolitan is just...just...so bad, I can't even.

Appalachian would've been more accurate  !!

#105 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,942 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

Haha I think I'm just going to start calling it the NorthSouth Division now.

That would seem to make sense, but I guess they thought it would be confusing with an Eastern Division and an Eastern Conference, and you can easily just say first place in the "Atlantic" or "Metropolitan" and it is clear you are talking about first in their division, but if there was an Eastern Division, you'd have to always specify whether you're talking about the division or the conference.

Yeah I thought of that after I posted, then just go back to Wales and Campbell conferences then, the trophies are still called that.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#106 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

The gf and I have finalized our travel schedule: October 26 - Devils @ Boston December 7 - Flyers @ Dallas December 21 - Devils @ Washington She gets the trip that requires flying but I get 2 games so its all good.. Only thing that sucks is she's a CPA so we can only do games from mid October through mid January Our goal is to see one of our teams at every NHL arena.. So far we've done: Devils @ Flyers Flyers @ Devils Flyers @ Rangers Devils @ Islanders Devils @ Penguins Flyers @ Senators
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#107 TackleDummy

TackleDummy

Rookie Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

sadly there is no St. Patrick's Day game this year.  I miss those.

#108 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

sadly there is no St. Patrick's Day game this year.  I miss those.

Hopefully they still at least bring back the throwback game...

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#109 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:03 PM

Wow I can't believe they took the whole atlantic division out of the new Atlantic division

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#110 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,691 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:30 PM

Appalachian would've been more accurate !!

No it would have been HOT! HOT! HOT!!!

#111 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:45 PM

Yeah I thought of that after I posted, then just go back to Wales and Campbell conferences then, the trophies are still called that.

I'd be okay with that but then they'd be changing the names of the divisions as well as the conferences, at least this way they only had to tweak the division names.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#112 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,301 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:12 PM

Think I may have asked this before, but what arena, in your opinion, is fairly close and would be considered mostly docile towards opposing fans? I'd love to take a trip with the wife and maybe even the kids to see a game this year. Something we talk about every year and never get to do.

I've been to Pittsburgh, Boston, and MSG. I never have a problem. Fans are usually pretty friendly, unless you either try to start something or are stupid enough to escalate with a drunk.

Posted Image

#113 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,301 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

Found this pretty interesting... Looks like we got shafted this year. Despite the 22 back-to-backs, we're traveling about 5k miles more than usual. It's also obvious why Detroit and Columbus wanted to move divisions.

http://www.onthefore...k-to-back-games

Edited by David Puddy, 20 July 2013 - 01:15 PM.

Posted Image

#114 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

Found this pretty interesting... Looks like we got shafted this year. Despite the 22 back-to-backs, we're traveling about 5k miles more than usual. It's also obvious why Detroit and Columbus wanted to move divisions.

http://www.onthefore...k-to-back-games

We have a boatload of weekend home games, and home games in the second half of the season. If anything, the league is trying to help us out. Back to backs are just a result of getting these dates.

#115 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

Think I may have asked this before, but what arena, in your opinion, is fairly close and would be considered mostly docile towards opposing fans? I'd love to take a trip with the wife and maybe even the kids to see a game this year. Something we talk about every year and never get to do.

I have been to every arena in the Eastern Conference except Tampa, Buffalo, and Columbus.  Never had a problem anywhere.  

Posted ImagePosted Image

#116 Bibby89

Bibby89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

Tampa is pretty decent. There's a bunch of native New Yorkers so once in a while you'll get the random loudmouth, but all in all they're pretty nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users