Works on TSN.

#2 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

I love his wheels, but hate his hands of stone....  This will be a very important year for him to stay healthy & get into the Plus column, by putting some points on the board

#3 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

Not a whole lot of trust from Lou for Jojo. I guess he'll be trade bait.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#4 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

TG just confirmed as well. He's got to impress or he's done here.

#5 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,826 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

Yeah definitely seems like it's a last-chance sort of situation.  Really hope he can stay healthy.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#6 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,960 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

Yep, that's a 'show me' deal if I've ever seen one.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#7 Bibby89

Bibby89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

Good stuff. Now get Henrique signed and its time to add some new blood...

#8 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,483 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

More like a we're broke deal.  Hate these one year deals for Josefson and Loktionov.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#9 Beck27

Beck27

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

Took less money to get the one way guaranteed paycheck.  Kind of surprising that he's still worried about being sent to Albany...guess he can hear the footsteps of Pelley and Janssen  :rolleyes:

#10 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

Hopefully Lou put some pressure on him to step it up big time.

This is a good contract, I want to see more deals. Lets get some players signed

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#11 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,005 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:01 PM

The Loki one scares me the most, he could be a bust  or he could go ballistic and the Devils won't be able to keep him.

#12 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,809 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

The Loki one scares me the most, he could be a bust  or he could go ballistic and the Devils won't be able to keep him.

This

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#13 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,483 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

Took less money to get the one way guaranteed paycheck.  Kind of surprising that he's still worried about being sent to Albany...guess he can hear the footsteps of Pelley and Janssen  :rolleyes:

I think taking less in a one-way contract puts the onus on the team to keep you on the roster.  I don't think it's fully about the money - assuming his QO would be for $74K in the minors, $990K in the NHL, he'd almost certainly beat that unless he got hurt in the minors.

#14 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,593 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

More like a we're broke deal.  Hate these one year deals for Josefson and Loktionov.

More like a deal for a player that hasn't stayed healthy, and played roughly half of last season in the AHL. 

We'll see what Henrique gets before we get into we're circiling the drain financially discussion again.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#15 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

The Loki one scares me the most, he could be a bust or he could go ballistic and the Devils won't be able to keep him.

Lokti is still a RFA after this year and he's pretty unproven too, plus he just lost the big gun he was playing with this year. I'd have more of a problem with one year if he was UFA.

And I have zero issue with this deal, Josefson took a huge step back this year.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#16 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:40 PM

Same deal as Loktionov, same reaction.

I hope he sticks around, though. He could be a big part of the Devils' future if he turns out.

#17 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:40 PM

More like a deal for a player that hasn't stayed healthy, and played roughly half of last season in the AHL.

We'll see what Henrique gets before we get into we're circiling the drain financially discussion again.

Yeah if it's a Fayne type deal and don't do anything else I'd be worried. If they sign Henrique and Brunner the hand-wringing here is going to look silly though.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#18 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

I don't think this deal has anything to do with the team's finances.  It has everything to do with the fact that JJ is an unknown commodity that has had trouble staying in the lineup consistently over the past few seasons (injuries - demotions to the AHL).  He didn't deserve a deal much more than what he got based upon his body of work thus far. 

Posted Image

#19 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

there's good and bad in this... good = its cheap. bad = our 2009 first round pick is only worth that 4 years later

www.SterioDesign.com

#20 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,483 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

I don't think this deal has anything to do with the team's finances.  It has everything to do with the fact that JJ is an unknown commodity that has had trouble staying in the lineup consistently over the past few seasons (injuries - demotions to the AHL).  He didn't deserve a deal much more than what he got based upon his body of work thus far. 

He's been demoted to the AHL once - after the goalie couldn't stop a puck when he was on the ice and he and his teammates couldn't score.  He rehabbed in the AHL in 2011-12 briefly.  He was sent to the AHL upon beginning his pro contract but was called up quickly and then rehabbed down there in 2010-11.

Point is if you were trying to bet on your players, you'd give one of these guys a 2 year deal, but now if they improve, you'll have to be paying them each more money next year.  I guess neither guy has arbitration rights next year so you can sit on them again if you like, but unless Lou doesn't want to have these guys developing a sense of entitlement, there's really no reason why they shouldn't be getting 2 year deals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users