50 replies to this topic

#21 Bibby89

Bibby89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

I'm in no way comparing the 2 but didn't the Islanders do this with Moulson 2 years in a row too?

#22 Aznjsn

Aznjsn

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

Josefson is a highly skilled center. He plays a strong two-way game and is very all-round as a player. Hockey sense is excellent and skating ability and technical skills are above average. Nice creativity with the puck and Josefson is also a talented playmaker and decent goal scorer. However, he could use some work on his shot and not always look for the pass, but to finish plays by himself. Makes smart decisions and plays a mature game. Gets involved in the rough stuff and plays the body at times. Is strong, both physically and mentally, and stands out with his very good defensive game.[/size]

Found this interesting from his scouting report in 09.  Hope he turns out to be what we hope for him to be this year.

Put food on my family

#23 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

He's been demoted to the AHL once - after the goalie couldn't stop a puck when he was on the ice and he and his teammates couldn't score.  He rehabbed in the AHL in 2011-12 briefly.  He was sent to the AHL upon beginning his pro contract but was called up quickly and then rehabbed down there in 2010-11.

Point is if you were trying to bet on your players, you'd give one of these guys a 2 year deal, but now if they improve, you'll have to be paying them each more money next year.  I guess neither guy has arbitration rights next year so you can sit on them again if you like, but unless Lou doesn't want to have these guys developing a sense of entitlement, there's really no reason why they shouldn't be getting 2 year deals.

You're assuming Loktionov wanted a 2 year deal.  Perhaps his thinking was that he wanted only 1 year to see how he's going to be used so he's not tied up for an extra year of either playing sporatically, or spending time in Albany.  There are 2 parties negotiating these deals.  This is clearly a show me deal for both him and the team as, if he doesn't play top 6 minutes and isn't regularly in the lineup, he likely will bolt to the KHL for much more money next year.  Plus, if he is a bust without Kovy on his wing, the Devils aren't tied up in an unproven player that can't produce without a superstar on his wing for another season.  

JJ wasn't demoted because of our goaltending issues and/or 1 goal against while he was on the ice.  He was demoted becaused he played like crap, can't score into a soccer goal, and was getting worse game by game before being sent down.  I like him, and think he can be a solid NHL'er over time, but the guy is more fragile than Glass Joe from Mike Tyson's Punchout based upon what we've seen from him thus far.  No need or reason to give him anything more than he got at this point, especially since he's nowhere near close to his UFA years at this point.

Posted Image

#24 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

More like a we're broke deal.  Hate these one year deals for Josefson and Loktionov.

This guy isn't exactly lighting it up, not sure how much you think he's worth?

#25 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

The Loki one scares me the most, he could be a bust  or he could go ballistic and the Devils won't be able to keep him.

If he goes balls to the wall productive this year, we have the cap space to re-sign him if he deserves it. We don't have to pinch pennies here... If a player deserves it, he should be compensated.

The worse scenario would be handing him a 4 year contract and him being a bust midway through the season. Being nervous about a player upping his worth with a good year is the last of my concerns.

Edited by DJ Eco, 18 July 2013 - 02:09 PM.

#26 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,615 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

You're assuming Loktionov wanted a 2 year deal.  Perhaps his thinking was that he wanted only 1 year to see how he's going to be used so he's not tied up for an extra year of either playing sporatically, or spending time in Albany.  There are 2 parties negotiating these deals.  This is clearly a show me deal for both him and the team as, if he doesn't play top 6 minutes and isn't regularly in the lineup, he likely will bolt to the KHL for much more money next year.  Plus, if he is a bust without Kovy on his wing, the Devils aren't tied up in an unproven player that can't produce without a superstar on his wing for another season.  

This is fair.  I know it's common to think that Kovalchuk on Loktionov's wing was the driving force behind his success, but he had basically equal time with and without Kovalchuk and produced similar numbers in both.  But yeah, not that much reason for Loktionov to sign 2 years.

JJ wasn't demoted because of our goaltending issues and/or 1 goal against while he was on the ice.  He was demoted becaused he played like crap, can't score into a soccer goal, and was getting worse game by game before being sent down.  I like him, and think he can be a solid NHL'er over time, but the guy is more fragile than Glass Joe from Mike Tyson's Punchout based upon what we've seen from him thus far.  No need or reason to give him anything more than he got at this point, especially since he's nowhere near close to his UFA years at this point.

He was demoted because goalies couldn't stop a shot when he was on the ice and he and his linemates couldn't score.  I don't blame him for losing confidence when one out of every 7 shots while he's on the ice is ending up in the net.  He was given a difficult task from Peter DeBoer - playing two different positions in a particular game, and a lot of defensive zone draws to boot.  Not easy for a 22 year old.  He still had an excellent season in the AHL and hopefully is still a big part of what the Devils want to do in the future.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#27 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,785 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:48 PM

He was demoted because goalies couldn't stop a shot when he was on the ice and he and his linemates couldn't score.  I don't blame him for losing confidence when one out of every 7 shots while he's on the ice is ending up in the net.  He was given a difficult task from Peter DeBoer - playing two different positions in a particular game, and a lot of defensive zone draws to boot.  Not easy for a 22 year old.  He still had an excellent season in the AHL and hopefully is still a big part of what the Devils want to do in the future.

Thats not true i remember him CLEARLY making many very bad plays/decisions who cost us goals or not backchecking watching the player entering the zone. He's young and all but to give the blame all on his linemates.

i remember him flipping the puck blindly right to Galchenuk to the point who went on to make a play for Prust's goal and the game after against Boston stopped skating on his forecheck just to let Horton get the puck and score to tie and he we ended up losing on SO.

Edited by SterioDesign, 18 July 2013 - 02:48 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#28 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

Good lets see what he can do in a year. It's up to him to earn an increase in pay with a 3 year contract.

Good Luck Josefson.

#29 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

The one against the Habs is the only one I can remember. That goal against the Bruins was not his fault. There was no way he was catching Horton and the Devils also had 3 guys back. Can't blame JJ when our three guys back get caught on one side.

#30 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,233 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

I don't view this as a "show me" deal at all. He's only 22 and will still be under team control for years after this. His lack of scoring (which I bet turns around) allows the Devils to retain him at low cost. He's only 22 and has shown he can play in the NHL and be responsible defensively. I think he has a solid NHL future ahead.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#31 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

I don't view this as a "show me" deal at all. He's only 22 and will still be under team control for years after this. His lack of scoring (which I bet turns around) allows the Devils to retain him at low cost. He's only 22 and has shown he can play in the NHL and be responsible defensively. I think he has a solid NHL future ahead.

100% agree... I really believe JJ will be a solid NHL player... it just matter of time... 

I believe in JJ

PS: at 22 you dont says the guy is a bust or not... remind yourself that a lot of our player in the system start their nhl career around 23-24 years old

#32 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

100% agree... I really believe JJ will be a solid NHL player... it just matter of time... 

I believe in JJ

PS: at 22 you dont says the guy is a bust or not... remind yourself that a lot of our player in the system start their nhl career around 23-24 years old

I mean, this is also what we liked to tell ourselves about Teddy, but I'm 90% that he's a bust.

That being said, I agree. I think JJ is talented, but he needs find some offense to make a real impression or he'll struggle to make it as a 3C. I believe he will find it, eventually.

#33 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:09 PM

I mean, this is also what we liked to tell ourselves about Teddy, but I'm 90% that he's a bust.

That being said, I agree. I think JJ is talented, but he needs find some offense to make a real impression or he'll struggle to make it as a 3C. I believe he will find it, eventually.

Tedenby has nice hands, that's pretty much it.

Josefson has good vision, is a decent skater and is very proficient defensively for his age. Even if his offensive game never develops he can still be a 25-35 pt 3C

Edited by SMantzas, 18 July 2013 - 05:09 PM.

#34 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

Tedenby has nice hands, that's pretty much it.

Josefson has good vision, is a decent skater and is very proficient defensively for his age. Even if his offensive game never develops he can still be a 25-35 pt 3C

I agree, 100%. So far he hasn't even found that offense, but like I said, I believe he will. It's just frustrating, I can't imagine how much so it must be for him, to see him score so sporadically. I see the plays he makes, he's smart, but the offense just hasn't come.

#35 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

Teddy looked really promising early on.

But it takes a certain kind of player to make it as an undersized guy..and I don't think he falls into that category.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#36 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,422 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:43 PM

Who cares he's ugly

I'm here for the party

#37 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:33 PM

Hopefully he can mature this year and he might make the roster. I can see him being a player scratched one night, then playing the next night type deal. He definitely has the potential, but like i always say, so does teddy. Not trying to start another teddy-JJ argument because they get nowhere. But they both got 1 year deals for about the same money, and both are RFA at the end of the year. It will be interesting to see how they do this year. Hopefully teddy gets a decent shot up here this year unlike last year. I mean i'm really excited we signed Olesz this year because he obviously has potential. He really reminds me of Tedenby at an older age. Everyone knows what he could be, it's just a matter of actually tapping into his full potential. It's the same with JJ. He can be so quick and shifty at times, but doesn't play a complete game in the sense that he just can't shoot. And lets not kid ourselves, JJ has never had even 1 moment where we were like WOW what a great defensive play, way to sacrifice the body, or what a great stick check. He's average at best defensively and very above average at skating and dangling. That's Josefson. Perfect deal for the player. The same goes for teddy and loktionov. 

#38 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:00 PM

I like the potential of Olesz because two things have hurt him in his career, an injury and a contract. Lets see if he finds his game.

Edited by Zubie#8, 18 July 2013 - 11:01 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#39 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,615 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:19 PM

Hopefully he can mature this year and he might make the roster. I can see him being a player scratched one night, then playing the next night type deal. He definitely has the potential, but like i always say, so does teddy. Not trying to start another teddy-JJ argument because they get nowhere. But they both got 1 year deals for about the same money, and both are RFA at the end of the year. It will be interesting to see how they do this year. Hopefully teddy gets a decent shot up here this year unlike last year. I mean i'm really excited we signed Olesz this year because he obviously has potential. He really reminds me of Tedenby at an older age. Everyone knows what he could be, it's just a matter of actually tapping into his full potential. It's the same with JJ. He can be so quick and shifty at times, but doesn't play a complete game in the sense that he just can't shoot. And lets not kid ourselves, JJ has never had even 1 moment where we were like WOW what a great defensive play, way to sacrifice the body, or what a great stick check. He's average at best defensively and very above average at skating and dangling. That's Josefson. Perfect deal for the player. The same goes for teddy and loktionov. 

Someone who sacrifices the body frequently or makes great stick checks frequently is probably not a great defensive player, because it means he is out of position often.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#40 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:21 AM

If you ever talked to JJ, you know how meek and timid he comes across when speaking. I understand the whole young Euro perspective, but he needs to have some level of cockiness. I have been around all sorts of professional and collegiate hockey players, and the one's that have that chip are always the guys that buried the puck. He just needs that confidence/swagger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users