50 replies to this topic

#41 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:59 AM

Yeah, I agree about Olesz. I wouldn't pin him to the fourth line this year. I feel like he's a guy who could move up the roster. He may surprise us.

#42 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:41 AM

Someone who sacrifices the body frequently or makes great stick checks frequently is probably not a great defensive player, because it means he is out of position often.

....yeah no thats not how it works. I guess that means Callahan and Datsyuk are bad defensive players. Stop it. Josefson is average at best defensively.

#43 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,486 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

....yeah no thats not how it works. I guess that means Callahan and Datsyuk are bad defensive players. Stop it. Josefson is average at best defensively.

I don't think Callahan is a great defensive player.  I don't think people whose default is to go down to block a shot are great.  Datsyuk obviously, but you're talking about someone who is really skilled at nabbing the puck away (a move I've seen Josefson pull at least once).   Defense in the NHL typically isn't flashy.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#44 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

If you ever talked to JJ, you know how meek and timid he comes across when speaking. I understand the whole young Euro perspective, but he needs to have some level of cockiness. I have been around all sorts of professional and collegiate hockey players, and the one's that have that chip are always the guys that buried the puck. He just needs that confidence/swagger.

I know what you're saying, but a lot of the Swedish kids (Larsson included) are like that; despite their pretty good English, they do have a language barrier, more mentally than anything else. But hell, a lot of New Jersey Devils are softspoken and quiet like that, even our captain. I feel like Lou doesn't go after the cocky/swagger types. Marty and Carter seem like the only ones that conduct themselves in interviews with that kind of confidence and personality., Zubrus too but in a different way.

#45 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

I don't think Callahan is a great defensive player.  I don't think people whose default is to go down to block a shot are great.  Datsyuk obviously, but you're talking about someone who is really skilled at nabbing the puck away (a move I've seen Josefson pull at least once).   Defense in the NHL typically isn't flashy.

Agree. Aside from McDonaugh, when you watch the Rangers (and Callahan is indeed one of the best examples), their defense is eternally out of position. Any team that's done its homework knows to fake the shot or force a couple extra passes and you'll have half their team laying on the ice screening Lundqvist, or even deflecting the shot causing a goal. They were somehow lucky with it two years ago, but last year it was exposed to be the crappy "system" it really was, didn't get them real far.

I'm a bit nervous that with the departure of Tortorella, their new coach might actually employ something more coherent planned for their defensive system. We'll see whether or not the Rangers defensemen (like Stralman or Girardi or MDZ) are actually good (or were only effective as meathead grunts in the shotblocking "system").

Edited by DJ Eco, 19 July 2013 - 08:38 AM.

#46 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

If you ever talked to JJ, you know how meek and timid he comes across when speaking. I understand the whole young Euro perspective, but he needs to have some level of cockiness. I have been around all sorts of professional and collegiate hockey players, and the one's that have that chip are always the guys that buried the puck. He just needs that confidence/swagger.

JJ is missing a tooth now, he's officially a hockey player. He's going to have a good year.

#47 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

#48 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

I know what you're saying, but a lot of the Swedish kids (Larsson included) are like that; despite their pretty good English, they do have a language barrier, more mentally than anything else. But hell, a lot of New Jersey Devils are softspoken and quiet like that, even our captain. I feel like Lou doesn't go after the cocky/swagger types. Marty and Carter seem like the only ones that conduct themselves in interviews with that kind of confidence and personality., Zubrus too but in a different way.

Hockey players in general are considered much more soft spoken and quiet when compared to other athletes. It's not a sport where you can be much of a loud mouth without getting a stick to the chops. I feel like there's a lot more respect amongst hockey players. I always think back to Avery waving the stick in Marty's face on the PP and his own team mate Drury telling him to knock it off. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#49 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

Hockey players in general are considered much more soft spoken and quiet when compared to other athletes. It's not a sport where you can be much of a loud mouth without getting a stick to the chops. I feel like there's a lot more respect amongst hockey players. I always think back to Avery waving the stick in Marty's face on the PP and his own team mate Drury telling him to knock it off. 

Agreed, but the good ones carry themselves with a certain quiet confidence -- they can swagger without bragging. The best examples from the Devils are Stevens and Elias. They rarely talk about how good they are, but when they talk, you know they believe how good they are. JJ needs to get that confidence.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#50 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

Agreed, but the good ones carry themselves with a certain quiet confidence -- they can swagger without bragging. The best examples from the Devils are Stevens and Elias. They rarely talk about how good they are, but when they talk, you know they believe how good they are. JJ needs to get that confidence.

Absolutely. "You're next" was one of the most threatening lines in hockey, and it was because Stevens didn't need to say anything else. Elias is very respected around the league. I think it was Mike Richards who said his welcome to the league moment was when he was running around like a jerk early in his career and Elias told him no one would respect him like if he played that way. It may have been Jeff Carter. I can't find the quote. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 21 July 2013 - 09:52 AM.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#51 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

Absolutely. "You're next" was one of the most threatening lines in hockey, and it was because Stevens didn't need to say anything else. Elias is very respected around the league. I think it was Mike Richards who said his welcome to the league moment was when he was running around like a jerk early in his career and Elias told him no one would respect him like if he played that way. It may have been Jeff Carter. I can't find the quote. 

Its Richards yes

JD: Is there a code for how rookies should behave?

MR: I went through the same thing. I remember my first year we were playing against New Jersey and I was running around and lipping off to Patrick Elias. Elias came to me and Sergei Brylin too, and they said, “If you continue to show disrespect for players, you are going to get hurt.” That really hit home. I didn't want to be known as that guy who shows disrespect. I want to be a guy who plays hard in between the whistles but not cross the line. That was six years ago, but it hit home. When you hear it from a guy like Patrick Elias, who has a done a lot in this league and is well respected, you remember.

that was based off his incident about Subban doing the same thing

www.SterioDesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users