8 replies to this topic

#1 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

Went to the city yesterday with my brother and got to play NHL 14 at the NHL store. We got there early and the first 50 people got a signed retro NHL 14 cover by Marty. They let us play a full game of the new 94 mode. I picked the Devs my brother played at the Stars (cause of the new jerseys.) Even though we were playing the 94 mode which is very true to the arcade feel of the original NHL 94 I could still see some major changes to gameplay. If I could use one word to describe the changes it would be "Smooth." The game just feels so much less clunky from last years game. Deking is so much more intuitive, and the animations are much more realistic. Players will pivot now instead of receiving a pass and then spending 2-3 seconds to turn around. And the biggest and best improvement in my opinion is with the hitting. The hitting in last years game was complete garbage. It's much better this year. Players won't fall from the slightest taps now. Getting a well timed hit seems much more important and if you get the hit off and really destroy the person it's extremely satisfying. On a few instances when a big hit happened the animations and sound fx really made you feel like you destroyed the player. There will be "money shots" in every game and in this one I think it will be the one timers. However, I am happy that it looks like the cheap backhand forehand goal from NHL 13 is gone. Can't make a judgement on the AI since we were playing the 94 mode where players were all over the place (no rules), but I think the AI on defense in particular has improved some.
Overall I think it's going to be a real solid and fun game. I can definitely see my brothers, friends, and I having a bunch of tournaments with the 94 mode.
If anyone has any questions about the game maybe I can answer them.
EDIT: two final things about the game that I noticed were:
When you select your "favorite team" the first time you start the game your team logo pops up on the menu tv screen and also there is some cool artwork/photo of one of the players from that team. As of now ours is Kovy but the producer said there will be changes.
Also anyone that likes to know what the soundtrack is like I heard two songs from it. The first being "Joker and the Theif" by Wolfmother and "Harlem" by New Politics.

Edited by njd3b1ink, 18 July 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#2 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

wow thats awesome you got the autographed copy AND a chance to play '14.

to me, there were three OBVIOUS, gaping errors in NHL '13. two being the passing, and hitting as you mentioned (which are both terrible).  the other huge one for me though is the play of the AI, the computer is so bad when it is with the team you're playing with.  the D get burned SOOOOO easily when the CPU is controlling the dmen.

hopefully those are fixed because it makes it borderline not enjoyable

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#3 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

o god and how could i forget the atrocious goalie play

#4 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

I think the bad play on D from the AI might be fixed some now that players will pivot. There are so many times they will get burnt just cause the skating is clunky.
And I think Goalies will be better this game. There will still be bs goals but now they factor in variables such as of your coming in on your back hand or forehand and will play different scenarios differently depending on what lessens your opportunity to score.

#5 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:45 AM

I think the bad play on D from the AI might be fixed some now that players will pivot. There are so many times they will get burnt just cause the skating is clunky.
And I think Goalies will be better this game. There will still be bs goals but now they factor in variables such as of your coming in on your back hand or forehand and will play different scenarios differently depending on what lessens your opportunity to score.

nice.

What I meant by the goalie play is like when the goalie comes out to play the puck. When he has possession you can't move and spinning around is so weird, you know?

#6 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

EA just posted a video on facebook today showing some of the AI improvements, and I am pumped that the players actually make it a point to find open ice based on where you are and also open their bodies up to the puck when receiving a pass.  Another thing I'm really excited about is that they have apparently brought back the feature where on defense you could hold down one of the trigger buttons and it will have your guy stay square to the puck-carrier.  They got rid of this in 13 for their stupid backwards skating button, but being able to continuously face the puck while on defense is much more important so I'm glad they're bringing that back.

I'm sure when it comes out people will complain saying it's the same as NHL 13, because people do that every year, but the game doesn't need a complete overhaul.  As long as they're not trying to reinvent the wheel I think it will be a great game.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#7 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

I just start playing NHL14 today...

and it's basically NHL13.... even less upgrade than usual... i'm disappoint

So the same that Kovy is still on the roster ; ) 

and even WORSE... he is the face of the Franchise in the screen when you pick up the Devs as your favorite team...

This year will be tough to play this game ; )

#8 Devlin

Devlin

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:28 PM

I stopped playing NHL by EA after the PC version died out, I loved the joystick play and the ability to make trades which I realized you could just keep trading up against the computer ;)

I'm happy to say that my older son got me hooked on NHL 13 GM mode...I think Santa (my wife) is gonna be delivering me an XBOX with NHL 14! looking forward to getting back into it.

Sent from my Galaxy TAB using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Devlin, 08 September 2013 - 05:52 AM.

#9 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:17 PM

cant wait to scoop up nhl14 tomorrow .. been playing the demo, i dont play games really at all but i was wanting to get nhl 13 figured id just wait for 14 to come out.. most recent nhl game i have is 09' so i will be really enjoying this new one!
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users