364 replies to this topic

#201 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

Not the worst stop-gap option, and the contract itself is fair.  Hopefully we can get 50-60 points out of Jagr and, in the wirst case scenario, he can bring back a high draft pick at hte trade deadline if we are out of playoff contention.

I'm happy that they aren't forced to rush a young guy like Boucher up to fill a hole.  Plus, it gives Matteau time to mature and develop in the AHL for a season, which he needs IMO.

Posted Image

#202 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

Capgeek updated with Jagr info.

http://www.capgeek.com/devils/

Wow look at all those RFAs/UFAs for next offseason. It'll be a busy summer a year from now, too.

#203 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

i just remembered that Jagr and I have the same birthday... february 15th people... mark it down :P

www.SterioDesign.com

#204 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:16 PM

Wow look at all those RFAs/UFAs for next offseason. It'll be a busy summer a year from now, too.

Next offseason is a crossraods for this organization.  Could be an offseason where we have a ton of cap space and cash to spend on some big name FA's, or one where we begin the transition with the younger players (which will likely lead us to the Connor McDavid sweepstakes, rather than a chase for the Cup).

At some point, this team needs to get younger and faster.  With Brodeur likely gone, I personally think that next offseason is the beginning of the full rebuild of this roster.

Posted Image

#205 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,928 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

Elias-Zajac-Ryder Henrique-Loktionov-Jagr Clowe-Josefson-Zubrus Olesz-Carter-Bernier Gionta, Barch I understand it might not be as likely now, but I still want Brunner. Would give us serious depth.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#206 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

Supposedly, the guys on Sirius XM ruined the Jagr conference call. Their feed was playing over the line while he was trying to talk over them, he had to practically scream and eventually, the conference call was ended (presumably by his agent).

#207 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

how much do we have left in cap space after signing jagr? 

#208 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,185 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

$2 million in base salary on Jagr's 1-year contract with Devils. Additional potential $2 million in games played bonuses.

I like this base contract, but giving him incentive to play hurt and potentially make him useless before the playoffs (since he doesn't get paid via contract for this) is questionable.  

Edited by MantaRay, 23 July 2013 - 02:23 PM.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#209 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

Next offseason is a crossraods for this organization.  Could be an offseason where we have a ton of cap space and cash to spend on some big name FA's, or one where we begin the transition with the younger players (which will likely lead us to the Connor McDavid sweepstakes, rather than a chase for the Cup).

At some point, this team needs to get younger and faster.  With Brodeur likely gone, I personally think that next offseason is the beginning of the full rebuild of this roster.

Schneider's not sticking around for a full rebuild, and I don't think Lou gave up a 9th-overall pick for a two-year rental.  For better or for worse, I think this team (especially as long as Lou's here) is going to try to stay in contention and avoid a crash-and-burn, whatever it takes.  Doesn't mean a crash-and-burn won't or can't happen, but will be a 2010-11 unforeseen kind of event...not by design.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 23 July 2013 - 02:24 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#210 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,436 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

I like this base contract, but giving him incentive to play hurt and potentially make him useless before the playoffs (since he doesn't get paid via contract for this) is questionable.  

Chris Johnston @reporterchris 55m

Jaromir Jagr gets a $250,000 bonus for every five games played from 10 to 45. That makes up $2M in bonuses from #NJDevils.

------------------------

They really kick in pretty easily.  Unless he suffers a major injury that keeps him out half the season, then he won't have to push himself through minor injuries that he shouldn't play through.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#211 Z-Man

Z-Man

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

Jaromir Jagr gets a $250,000 bonus for every five games played from 10 to 45. That makes up $2M in bonuses from #NJDevils.

------------------------

They really kick in pretty easily.  Unless he suffers a major injury that keeps him out half the season, then he won't have to push himself through minor injuries that he shouldn't play through.

Good, even if they keep him out of back-to-backs to keep Jagr fresh, it won't affect the bonuses if he plays 60-65 games.  Keeps Jagr happy, I guess.

#212 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

------------------------

So this is really a way to defer the cap hit until next season then, right?

#213 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,436 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

Not really. It's more to add cap flexibility. The CAN defer money to next season now, if it makes sense, but I think it's more likely the Devils are under the cap including bonuses this season.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#214 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,900 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

No, it's a way to ensure that you get your money's worth.  I don't foresee NJ being over the cap.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#215 Z-Man

Z-Man

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

They can defer $3.3 million of cap money related to bonuses to next year if need be:

$2 mil Jagr

$1 mil Zidlicky

$300k Olesz

If all three cap hits are taken this year, then technically we still have about $5 million left under the cap this year to sign Henrique (and any other moves).

Edited by Z-Man, 23 July 2013 - 02:53 PM.

#216 Devs4LIFE

Devs4LIFE

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

It would be nice if Jagr could do for Henrique what he did for Giroux, I definitely think that'll be a pairing for most of the season. Henrique is a smart hockey player and a natural goal scorer, he does the little things right. Jagr is a smart player who knows how to pass/make plays. I think that would be a good combination.

Posted Image

#217 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,018 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

Roster is getting crowded. I wonder if this means the end of Gionta in NJ? I know the coaches love him but he's on a 2 way deal this year unlike Tedenby and Barch.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl

My New Jersey Devils Prospect Blog
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#218 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:31 PM

Chances are that Lou decided to go with Jagr over Brunner because Jagr was the 'safer' choice.  I'm thinking that Lou would rather look at shorter term deals, because Brunner asked for too long and maybe too much.  Brunner could very well be available next year or head back to Die Schweiz. 

To add, it will be very interesting if we have a top line of Elias-Henrique-Jagr.  The Czech factor on this team is very cool.  I read on NHL.com that Jagr and Elias are the 1st and 2nd career high scoring Czech forwards in the league.  Plus Jagr didn't have a terrible year last year. 

Edited by RizzMB30, 23 July 2013 - 03:36 PM.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#219 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

I guess I'm in the minority around here on this one. Jagr is old, holds on to the puck too long and gets tired quickly -- or at least that's how it looked to me once he landed with the B's last season.

I hope it works out for us, but I'm skeptical.

#220 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,667 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

Roster is getting crowded. I wonder if this means the end of Gionta in NJ? I know the coaches love him but he's on a 2 way deal this year unlike Tedenby and Barch.

I don't think they'll let the 500-600k difference between Gionta in the minors and Tedenby/Barch in the minors factor in to what they do rosterwise, not considering how they're already going to be close to a cap celing team anyway.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users