• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,882 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

The magnitude of the New York/New Jersey concert and family show market was underscored by Billboard’s rankings. Three of the top four U.S.-grossing arenas are in this region — No. 2 overall Barclays Center in Brooklyn ($46.9M), No. 4 Madison Square Garden in Manhattan ($39.5M), and No. 8 Prudential Center, which in the United States also trailed the sixth-ranked Staples Center in Los Angeles ($36.2M).

The Newark arena sold out 11 of 41 events, while Barclays Center sold out 20 of 90 and the Garden sold out 22 out of 33.

- See more at:

http://www.northjers...h.5KKXTYHQ.dpuf

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#2 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

This is great news, although those numbers from Barclays are pretty suspect. It's the smallest of the 3, I'd imagine they've inflated those numbers.

But yes, this is directly good news for Devils fans and Rangers fans considering the direct ownership situation they have (which is pretty rare nowadays).

#3 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

This is great news, although those numbers from Barclays are pretty suspect. It's the smallest of the 3, I'd imagine they've inflated those numbers.

But yes, this is directly good news for Devils fans and Rangers fans considering the direct ownership situation they have (which is pretty rare nowadays).

I think the fact its new and shiny and in Brooklyn helped get it alot of dates.

#4 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,321 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

I think the fact its new and shiny and in Brooklyn helped get it alot of dates.

To me Barclays is ugly, it looks rusted from the outside. The seats are cramped and steep. I prefer Pru Center and not from a strict homer sense. It's got wider concourses too

Barclays seems like it tries hard to be the GQ arena,

Edited by '7', 22 July 2013 - 01:28 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#5 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,449 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

Out of curiousity where did the Nassau Coliseum end up?  

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#6 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

To me Barclays is ugly, it looks rusted from the outside. The seats are cramped and steep. I prefer Pru Center and not from a strict homer sense. It's got wider concourses too

They used steel that would rust on purpose to give it 'that' look. So dumb.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#7 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

The outside looks disgusting in the day time. I heard it looks ridiculous at night. I liked the variety of food they had though and the inside I thought was nice but I'd still take the pru center too. (overall area around the arena though obviously bk wins over downtown Newark)

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#8 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

They used steel that would rust on purpose to give it 'that' look. So dumb.

Wait, what?

#9 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

Wait, what?

Its crazy lol.

http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

traditional materials were rejected in favor of 12,000 separate pieces of what is called “weathering steel,” and that leathery brown hue, which is the arena’s final finish, is not paint but an intended layer of rust.

Edited by Zubie#8, 22 July 2013 - 03:46 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#10 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,486 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

The rust also helps saves money as it actually acts like a protective coating over the steal and delays corrosion.

Haven't been to the Barclay's Center yet but I can imagine the food inside is a thousand times better than the slop they have at the Rock.

#11 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

The outside looks disgusting in the day time. I heard it looks ridiculous at night. I liked the variety of food they had though and the inside I thought was nice but I'd still take the pru center too. (overall area around the arena though obviously bk wins over downtown Newark)

I hate the place (my landlord sold my building because it fvcked with property values in Brooklyn), but it looks pretty cool.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#12 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,321 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:18 PM

The rust also helps saves money as it actually acts like a protective coating over the steal and delays corrosion.

Haven't been to the Barclay's Center yet but I can imagine the food inside is a thousand times better than the slop they have at the Rock.

it's not

The food at the Rock is not so bad. I mean for arena grub, it's actually pretty darn good.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#13 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

The devils $18 burger is pretty good!: p

#14 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:52 PM

The devils $18 burger is pretty good!: p

Where do you get an $18 burger? Only place I can think of is the Acela Club

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#15 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,321 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

Out of curiousity where did the Nassau Coliseum end up?  

I bet it was a bit higher than expected since the Garden didn't host as many events with the renovation

Still, once they lose their anchor tenant to Barclays, Nassau becomes pretty much obsolete. Even if they try to renovate it and scale it down. Nobody is going to want to play a small venue that's now even smaller when they can play Barclays or MSG and Pru and be closer to the city.

#16 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

I bet it was a bit higher than expected since the Garden didn't host as many events with the renovation

Still, once they lose their anchor tenant to Barclays, Nassau becomes pretty much obsolete. Even if they try to renovate it and scale it down. Nobody is going to want to play a small venue that's now even smaller when they can play Barclays or MSG and Pru and be closer to the city.

I think it could be a decent medium sized concert venue.... if they put money into it.    But man, it needs money put into it.   It's still a market that needs servicing.  It's not like the Pru Center/Meadowlands thing where they're 10 minutes from each other.

#17 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,321 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

I think it could be a decent medium sized concert venue.... if they put money into it.    But man, it needs money put into it.   It's still a market that needs servicing.  It's not like the Pru Center/Meadowlands thing where they're 10 minutes from each other.

Exactly, the people in those "far east" (to us at least) towns in Bethpage or Levittown of Farmingdale...the Nassau Coliseum is the best they've got. And if they lose that it's going to be a tough shlep over to Brooklyn to see U2 or Green Day.

#18 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,486 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

it's not

The food at the Rock is not so bad. I mean for arena grub, it's actually pretty darn good.

After sampling Yankee stadium and red bull arena the food at the rock is crap

#19 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,129 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:04 PM

Unfortunately for them, the ties in the steel have already been in need of replacement.

The rock does need to step up the food options, especially with more and more restaurants/bars opening up outside

#20 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:22 PM

Where do you get an $18 burger? Only place I can think of is the Acela Club

Yeah that's the place. Lol. It's a good burger though to be fair. High price though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users