#21 Devlin

Devlin

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

Surprised with the Vanderbeek hate.
He risked his personal finances to keep the Devils in NJ. Hope my hometown has someone like that when our OHL team comes up for sale.

I have to agree...I'm a bit surprised too, he was a season ticket holder who had the financial system to create another big step for the Devils franchise. I know from my own experiences that owning a "small business" is no easy task and can't even imagine the complexity of taking on something as large as a sports franchise.

Sent from my Galaxy TAB using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Devlin, 24 July 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#22 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:04 PM

I don't hate JVB, but I want him out as soon as possible. I admire that he's a big Devils fan and he did a lot for the team, keeping them in NJ but when your team is constantly dealing with reports of bankruptcy, missing payment, not being able to sign players it's time for someone new. I wish him the best and maybe he can still be a minority share holder, but for the good of the organization and the sanity of the fans we need an owner with money.

#23 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,623 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:06 PM

read your post:

you said "even if they had managed to do that, I cannot see how that would leave NJ in better shape than they're in now."

make up your mind

How would that leave NJ in better shape?  Luongo is owed a ton of money and is old, and his contract would also carry penalties if he retired early.  Not to mention both guys have NTCs and would have to agree to the deal.

aylbert:  You get charged cap recapture based on how long you had the player and how much you got a benefit from his salary being above the cap hit.  So NJ would've taken the dead cap hit they have now.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#24 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

I like him in just to piss off Cory Booker. I hate him loads more... Mr "JVB is a huckster and a hustler".... :giggle:

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#25 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

If Vanderbeek is bouncing player checks, he's got to be gone sometime soon.  It was reported in late June, Lou's saying it - seems like it is going to happen.

Also re trading Kovalchuk - even if they had managed to do that, I cannot see how that would leave NJ in better shape than they're in now.

He's not bouncing player checks because no one would sign with them.   And if he was bouncing player checks, he'd be done and the league would have the reins.   And the league wouldn't be paying that kind of money.    Obviously the debt situation is very real, but I wouldn't be surprised of some of the negative "press" that JVB gets is for some petty reason.   Look at the two key sources of it and connect the dots.

#26 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

He risked his personal finances to keep the Devils in NJ. Hope my hometown has someone like that when our OHL team comes up for sale.

I'm very appreciative for all that Vanderbeek's done for this organization. Getting the Devs into the Rock was huge.

#27 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:15 PM

I really like JVB. The guy is a fan, first and foremost, and put a lot on the line to get the Rock built and ensure this team remains in NJ for the foreseeable future. He also helped with fan relations during his tenure, and made being a STH a worthwhile venture (its still not perfect, but its better). He should be commended for that.

However, it is clear he is not in the financial position to be the sole owner going forward. It is time for a change in ownership to stabilize the teams financials. I just hope this consortium of lawyers are viable owners.
Posted Image

#28 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:23 PM

The hate for JVB is out of control, he did a lot for this Franchise as the post above said. He is a good guy but is pockets are not deep enough.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#29 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:13 PM

As everyone has stated. So how about JV being a minority owner?

#30 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:43 PM

I won't believe this until it's confirmed by Nick Barlotta :lol: :giggle:
25smul5.png

#31 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:16 AM

In the end, JVB did more good than bad. But the personal $ he put up was mostly leveraged lehman options that lost a great deal of their value when he took out te big loans to buy the team. His true liquid position was never that great - certainly not what you would expect of a franchise owner. It also doesn't help that he's always taken a huge "management fee" as a salary that is on the devils books keeping them in the red. Owners taking a salary is fairly common but from what I've heard, never to the extent that JVB did.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#32 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:38 AM

If Vanderbeek is bouncing player checks, he's got to be gone sometime soon.  It was reported in late June, Lou's saying it - seems like it is going to happen.

Also re trading Kovalchuk - even if they had managed to do that, I cannot see how that would leave NJ in better shape than they're in now.

It's quite simple. Teams swap assets in a trade.

#33 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:04 AM

We need to get an owner like Mikhail Prokhorov or the Abu Dhabi Ruling Family who owns Manchester City haha

#34 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,132 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:32 AM

I'm very appreciative for all that Vanderbeek's done for this organization. Getting the Devs into the Rock was huge.

As am I. Love Vanderbeek, I wish he could stick around. It's an unfortunate situation. I'll always appreciate the risks he took in order to make sure the team stayed in Jersey.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#35 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:53 AM

It is time for a change.

#36 Devlin

Devlin

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:17 AM

It is time for a change.

Agreed, time for change and a reorganization...I just wanted to point out that hating the guy who took the franchise to a another level was a bit surprising.

I'm not saying you...just some posts I've seen lately.

Sent from my Galaxy TAB using Tapatalk 2

#37 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,410 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:52 AM

I appreciated the efforts of JVB.   The Rock was his doing.    I just hope we can find someone, who is a hockey person with the wealth to put an end to the bankrupcy nonsense.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#38 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:19 AM

It also doesn't help that he's always taken a huge "management fee" as a salary that is on the devils books keeping them in the red. Owners taking a salary is fairly common but from what I've heard, never to the extent that JVB did.

Do you have a source/figure for this claim?

Not doubting you, just curious.  Had no idea he was taking a large salary.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#39 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:26 AM

Not doubting you, just curious. Had no idea he was taking a large salary.

I remember reading this a few years back how he took a huge chunk when compared to other NHL owners but I don't remember how reliable the source was.

#40 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

Not doubting you, just curious. Had no idea he was taking a large salary.

No written sources but certainly from people in the know. Let's put it this way, it's not some girl who saw ferris pass out at 31 flavors last night. Former lehman guys. Connections to the team, etc.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users