162 replies to this topic

#121 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

This is Class A defamation and libel over and over and over again, month after month. I don't understand how the organization allows this to continue, these reporters are actively destroying the organization's image.

#122 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

I agree.. What is this like the 4th or 5th time that Forbes and/or NY Post has declared imminent takeover by the NHL? I believe TG and Chere when they say a sale may be close, but not Forbes that the team is about to be taken over by the league. Hasn't happened yet after one of their many near-guarantees.

Really hoping this is the 76ers owner. He sounds wealthy!!

Edit: By the way, where is that dude who claimed VBK was absolutely not giving up his majority share and that we could take his word for it? Curious to know if his insider is still as sure of his info

Edited by Colin226, 08 August 2013 - 11:35 AM.

Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#123 Devs4LIFE

Devs4LIFE

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:38 AM

This is Class A defamation and libel over and over and over again, month after month. I don't understand how the organization allows this to continue, these reporters are actively destroying the organization's image.

The media doesn't care, as long as people click links to their stories they will post anything. Forbes/NY post just want to get the story out before anyone else.

Go to any hockey website and the Devils NHL ownership story will be on the front page and they will all have Forbes as their source. That means more traffic to the Forbes website which means more money.

Step 1: Post story without thoroughly checking your sources or doing research on the topic.

Step 2: ????

Step 3: Profit.

Posted Image

#124 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,447 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

Saw something today about the NHL taking ove the Devils if new owners are not inplace by the start of the season??

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#125 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

Because a court battle in which the truth would need to come out would be just as damaging to the Devils, if not more so, than allowing the lies to continue.

The biggest problem is that out-of-town media sees this crap and runs with it because they don't take the time to learn who's legit and who's not.

Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#126 Steadevils

Steadevils

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

Forbes is garbage. They were semi-reputable a decade ago, but at this point they are the Bleacher Report of the business world.

"I realized from Day 1 the way I played I'd never be a Gretzky or a Lemieux, well, a Mario I mean. I was never going to be a player to get standing ovations in a visitors' building."

-- Claude Lemieux - May 7, 1999

#127 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,546 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:16 PM

Forbes story seems like a plant from someone interested in buying the team, TG stories seem like the team counter-planting.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#128 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:20 PM

ESPN reporting it too

ESPN NHL - League to take over Devils by start of season if buyer for team can't be found - multiple sources

Jesus

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#129 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,048 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

ESPN reporting it too
ESPN NHL - League to take over Devils by start of season if buyer for team can't be found - multiple sources
Jesus

Notice how no one reports the denials by the league or the reports from TG and Chere? I guess that doesn't generate hits though. I'm seriously tired of this organization's reputation being dragged through the mud via irresponsible and sensationalistic reporting.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#130 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,546 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

Notice how no one reports the denials by the league or the reports from TG and Chere? I guess that doesn't generate hits though. I'm seriously tired of this organization's reputation being dragged through the mud via irresponsible and sensationalistic reporting.

The denials are very specific, though.  Daly said 'To the extent it suggests the League is intending to take over the Club, it is inaccurate'.  If the facts apart from that are true, the league would probably have to step in to ensure that players are paid if the team isn't sold by October.

Edited by Triumph, 08 August 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#131 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,048 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

The denials are very specific, though. Daly said 'To the extent it suggests the League is intending to take over the Club, it is inaccurate'. If the facts apart from that are true, the league would probably have to step in to ensure that players are paid if the team isn't sold by October.

They just make it sound worse than it is. If the league needs to step in for a couple of months to fund operations while the sale details are ironed out with the 76ers guy or the lawyer (assuming a sale with either is finalized), that's a far different scenario than what Phoenix went through. ESPN and Forbes and the big national outlets are reporting it like the NHL is taking over the team in a Coyotes-like ownership situation where there's no immediate buyer and the team is broke. That's what annoys me.

Edited by MadDog2020, 08 August 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#132 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

Hey I hurd the Debbies are moving to Seattle lolz they never had any fans everybody knows NJ is RANJURZ 4 LIFE BABY! #believeinblue

You know it's coming...

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#133 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

I don't trust the Forbes article - they and the NY Post have been pretty consistently incorrect over the course of this thing.  TG has Barroway as still interested - even so, how do trial lawyers have enough money to buy sports franchises?  

I wonder who planted the Forbes story, because as someone on Twitter pointed out, seems like the Devils planted the story with TG about Harris and Barroway.

The interest from Harris was first reported by some talk radio host in Philly, and TG picked it up.  I'm sure the team leaked to TG that Barroway was still involved in the process though. 

Posted Image

#134 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

I don't trust the Forbes article - they and the NY Post have been pretty consistently incorrect over the course of this thing.  TG has Barroway as still interested - even so, how do trial lawyers have enough money to buy sports franchises?

From what I understand, Barroway had a very successful practice where he specialized in class action lawsuits - which essentially makes the attorneys bringing the suit on behalf of the declared class a ton of money, provides the named plaintiff with a hefty settlement sum, and leaves the 1 million + other people in the class with a $1 gift card to iTunes.  However, I had the same question as I doubt he could carry the team on his own and would require a large investment group to financially bankroll the purchase.

Edited by Chuck the Duck, 08 August 2013 - 12:58 PM.

Posted Image

#135 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,048 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

From what I understand, Barroway had a very successful practice where he specialized in class action lawsuits - which essentially makes the attorneys bringing the suit on behalf of the declared class a ton of money, provides the named plaintiff with a hefty settlement sum, and leaves the 1 million + other people in the class with a $1 gift card to iTunes.  However, I had the same question as I doubt he could carry the team on his own and would require a large investment group to financially bankroll the purchase.

OT, funny you mention the thing about class action suits. I got a check for $8.63 out of the clear blue sky a couple months ago for some suit I had no idea I was apart of lol.

#136 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:02 PM

Hey I hurd the Debbies are moving to Seattle lolz they never had any fans everybody knows NJ is RANJURZ 4 LIFE BABY! #believeinblue

You know it's coming...

It's already all over my Facebook. Rangers fans, all from New Jersey, laughing at the thought of their state's only team leaving for Quebec.

The stupidity.

baxter-cain-baseketball-gif-disgust.gif

Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#137 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,546 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

The interest from Harris was first reported by some talk radio host in Philly, and TG picked it up.  I'm sure the team leaked to TG that Barroway was still involved in the process though. 

TG isn't citing Eskin as a source, though.  He says it was first reported by Eskin but that it was confirmed by 2 other sources.

#138 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

OT, funny you mention the thing about class action suits. I got a check for $8.63 out of the clear blue sky a couple months ago for some suit I had no idea I was apart of lol.

I got almost $100 from a class action suit against Wally World for making employees work off the clock. I never worked off the clock for that sh!thole, but hey, free money!

#139 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

I once got about $30 from the class-action lawsuit against Apple back in 2006 or so about the first generation iPod nanos.

#140 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

Ownership issues are just part of the New Jersey Devils culture much like being blamed for the trap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users