• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#61 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,623 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:02 PM

Obviously I don't know anything about local Jersey burger joints, but on the national chains:

- I don't get the appeal of Five Guys.  It's the very definition of "meh".  The ability to pick and choose your toppings is overshadowed by the fact that the burgers themselves are bland and uninspiring, and the fries aren't anything special.

- Red Robin could stand to cut their prices by a buck or two, but I actually really like them.  My go-to burger there is the Royal, which is a bacon cheeseburger with a fried egg on top.  I'm also a fan of the mushroom-and-Swiss burger, whatever it's called.

- I miss Fuddrucker's.  We only had one in the Albany area; it closed a couple years ago when the landlord raised the rent and was replaced by a Hooters.

- I rarely go to Wendy's and Burger King, but when I do, I usually get chicken instead.  That should tell you something.

- McDonald's is good when you get a craving for burger-flavored grease.  From that twisted perspective, the Double Quarter Pounder is quite possibly the greatest burger on the planet.  And the Chicken McNuggets are strangely addicting.

Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#62 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:29 PM

Wendy's has a good baconator. Thats aw. Sonic is decent. Five guys needs to lower their price. Bk and MCD they speak for them selves..

#63 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:31 PM

Was in Brazil this summer, had quite the interesting burger:

Half pound of meat, cooked a lot less than the medium well I'm used to in the states. Gouda cheese, fried egg, Chopped maple syrup coated bacon, potato sticks and diced tomatoes. They called it "privada entupida" which literally translates to "toilet plunger". Delicious, though!

Nice! I'm trying to get to Brazil for the World Cup next year. If you like the Brazilian style burgers, go to Altas Horas. It's Down Neck, a bit far from the Rock, but doable if you drive out early before a game. 

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#64 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

Anyone been to White Rose in Highland Park?  I live around the corner from that place.  I believe they are similar to White Manna and White Diamond with the caramelized onions, although I haven't been to either of those two places.  I feel like the burger to bread ratio isn't ideal if you get a single burger, so I usually get a double cheeseburger, sometimes with bacon.  If I'm drunk enough that I don't care about money and I'm down to ball out, I get a double bacon cheeseburger with a fried egg, it's awesome.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#65 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:03 AM

Burger Express in Carteret.

Five Guys is good, and I liked Elevation Burger the one time I was there (Montclair, I think?).

Oh, and LOLRangers or something.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#66 Devs4LIFE

Devs4LIFE

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:26 AM

The Memphis Burger at The Office is one of if not the best burger I've ever had, wash it down with a Dogfish Head, now we're talking.

Posted Image

#67 Cachorro Louco

Cachorro Louco

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:45 AM

Was in Brazil this summer, had quite the interesting burger:

Half pound of meat, cooked a lot less than the medium well I'm used to in the states. Gouda cheese, fried egg, Chopped maple syrup coated bacon, potato sticks and diced tomatoes. They called it "privada entupida" which literally translates to "toilet plunger". Delicious, though!

Which cities in Brazil did you visit?? and what was the name of the place you had the burguer?

Posted Image

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose."

Ayrton Senna da Siva

#68 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,199 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:41 AM

MSG has no chance in hell of being knocked down in 10 years so everyone might as well keep talking about burgers. I gotta start visiting some of these places lol

#69 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:15 AM

Gotta agree with the general feelings towards Five Guys..way too expensive for an average burger.  $15 for a burger, fries, and a drink?  Right..

Huge fan of Red Robin's burgers (and the bottomless steak fries..mmm..).  Also a BIG fan of Cheeburger Cheeburger.  Probably my favorite burger.  Granted, I haven't been to any of the smaller places mentioned in this thread, definitely will have to do so in the future.

..sh!t it's wayy too early to be craving a burger :lol:

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#70 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:34 AM

Gotta agree with the general feelings towards Five Guys..way too expensive for an average burger. $15 for a burger, fries, and a drink? Right..

Huge fan of Red Robin's burgers (and the bottomless steak fries..mmm..). Also a BIG fan of Cheeburger Cheeburger. Probably my favorite burger. Granted, I haven't been to any of the smaller places mentioned in this thread, definitely will have to do so in the future.

..sh!t it's wayy too early to be craving a burger :lol:

Totally forgot about cheeburger cheeburger. They have some good stuff but I wonder sometimes if their name drives people away.

#71 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,566 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:39 AM

I went to a Cheeburger Cheeburger once and I thought it sucked, but I wonder if it was that particular Cheeburger Cheeburger (in Flemington) that sucked.  My uncle tried it once and warned me, but I took my wife and daughter anyway...sadly, turned out he was 100% right.  That location closed down a while ago...Flemington is a burger overkill area anyway...there's a Five Guys, a 25 Burgers (used to be a Pizza Hut), a Wendy's, a McDonald's, a TGIF, a Chili's, and not too far up the road, a Sonic.  There's also a BK that's been closed and "under renovation" for three years, but it doesn't look like anything's really being done with it.  I'm guessing Cheeburger Cheeburger didn't make it there for a reason. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#72 bostondevil11

bostondevil11

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:45 AM

5 Guys must be much more expensive in the NY area cuz I never thought the prices were that bad. I also just get a single burger.  The double is just too much meat for me.  I do enjoy their fries though.

#73 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:52 AM

I've only ever been to the Cheeburgers on route 1 near Princeton, and the one on Nassau Street in Princeton.  No complaints on either, but quality could definitely vary from place to place, wouldn't surprise me.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#74 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,431 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

E) On topic: Last I read earlier today from someone was that Cablevision/MSG actually purchased all rights of the "air space" above Penn, so the city really has no leg to stand on. They are basically there tax free and what people are saying is that the city is using this as a way of hopefully starting to get some tax revenue to allow them to stay there. Also, with the voting I guess that coming up they wanna appease the community to make it look like they're doing something to "improve" the sh!t hole subway system.

I am going to assume you don't ride the NYC subways.   The subway system is very, very good and clean with new cars for the most part.    The city does have a leg to stand on and they are going to use that muscle to get some revenue, for the good of the city.   Penn Station is far more important to MSG, than MSG is to Penn Station and NYC.  

Would not be surprised if the West Side/Jets old project comes back into the discussion.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#75 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:14 AM

I am going to assume you don't ride the NYC subways.   The subway system is very, very good and clean with new cars for the most part.    The city does have a leg to stand on and they are going to use that muscle to get some revenue, for the good of the city.   Penn Station is far more important to MSG, than MSG is to Penn Station and NYC.  

Would not be surprised if the West Side/Jets old project comes back into the discussion.

True and the fact that for $2.50 you can go pretty much anyplace in the entire system is still pretty damn good.  Every other subway I have been on they charge you based on distance.

#76 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

A lot of people here are forgetting the fact that MSG/Dolan has not been paying any property taxes since 1982, a Ranger fan actually reminded me of that fact. He hasn't had to pay what would've been $300 million in taxes. Do you really think the city cares at this point whether MSG stays or MSG goes? If they come to an agreement with MSG/Dolan to build a new arena either on the site of the Javits Center or somewhere in Queens (funded in large part by MSG Corp.), it's a win-win. It will create design and construction jobs at the old MSG site for a megaproject and it will create jobs for the new MSG project while renegotiating a deal to have Dolan pay taxes in the end.

Essentially, this situation's no different than the Nassau Coliseum in that, when the time comes, the public will have to vote for whether or not they want to pay the taxes to keep it, and considering the makeup of who lives in Manhattan right now, I don't think they'd want that.

When an architecture firm unveils a big shiny replacement on the site of that old toilet bowl, the city will have made its mind. They might be able to console Rangers/Knicks fans by making it easier for them to relocate on a new arena at the Javits Center site, but otherwise, the City of New York owes MSG nothing, and MSG owes the City of New York a hell of a lot.

Edited by DJ Eco, 26 July 2013 - 08:40 AM.

#77 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

But what does that have to do with burgers?  :offtopic:

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#78 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

But what does that have to do with burgers?  :offtopic:

BACK ON TOPIC: Best burger I've ever had was the bacon cheeseburger w/ lava fries (hot sauce/cheese on them) from McGovern's tavern in University Heights in Newark next to the Rutgers Newark law school. You need a beer beforehand as the burger enhances the alcohol and actually makes you drunker. It's f'ing awesome. My ex-gf actually comes and visits me just for the burger :P

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#79 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

-  I lived in Little Ferry for a bit and White Mana was always the dream place to go for burgers.  Only went a couple of times though due to the ridiculous wait, which was not worth the end product.  Sometimes the dream is better than the payoff.

-  Same goes for Shake Shack. Yummy as all get out, but I can't wait in line for an hour for lunch.  Their concretes are flipping great though and they have a drink only line, so you can avoid the crowds.  If you want to give them a go, I'd recommend the location on 86th St between Lexington and 3rd.  Not nearly as bad of a line as the Madison Square Park location.

-  Zinburger was very good the few times I've been and I love the fact they serve wine, which is a nice touch.

-  There's a place called Go Burger which is popping up here and there in NYC. Pretty standard stuff but better than Bareburger (another newish chain that's entirely overpriced for the snobby service and average food).  Also, I think they're affiliated with Smashburger as they have an item called "The Smashburger".  Just a burger with cheese with onions stuffed into it.  Much better than it sounds.

-  In and Out is a special little slice of heaven.  Animal style.  Oh man, so good.

-  Favorite burger in NYC is Five Napkin Burger.  Pricey but unbelievably yummy.  They also have a nice craft beer selection and a great whiskey / bourbon rack.

Oh, and this MSG thing is just a ploy by the city to get some more cash out of the Dolans.  I'd be shocked if they knocked down the building, considering it's national landmark, for better or for worse.

Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#80 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

If I were DM I would just rename and sticky this thread.

"Official Offseason Burger Thread".  That Kovy UFA thread better watch out, this one might surpass it in the archives.

believe-ll.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users