48 replies to this topic

#21 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,028 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

I respectfully disagree. We gave him a very respectable $6m during RFA to avoid arbitration and I have no doubt in my mind Lou offered him a more a lucrative deal than Kovalchuk's. He wanted to go back to Minny with his buttpal and it just so happened that his agent was able to pull a miracle deal so that everyone was happy. If you think Parise (franchise player #1) was butthurt about Kovalchuk getting attention and a big contract, and that's the only reason he jumped ship, that's just completely ridiculous; like no team has ever offered 2, 3, 4 mega contracts to players on their teams without them all getting jealous?

Thing is the Devils can't afford 2 mega contracts let alone one given that JVB's financial situation gets more dire with every passing month.

I know Lou did everything he could to have Parise stay but I doubt he could have afforded or offered one to him that was more lucractive than Kovy's.  Devils and Jeff simply can't and couldn't have afforded it.  I do however agree that Parise wanted to go to Minny with his bitch boy Suter and since that was his home state that sealed the deal.

I never mentioned in my post it is because Parise was jealous of the Kovy getting the attention, I just feel like Lou's attention was spent far too much that summer on Kovy's contract mess when some of it should have at least gone to Parise and see if there was anything that could have been worked out then.

#22 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,399 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

There's no way Lou offered Parise $100 million when the team was supposedly broke. Unless by more lucrative you mean a higher cap number. That I don't doubt but there was no way Zach was getting Kovy money here.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#23 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,766 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

There's no way Lou offered Parise $100 million when the team was supposedly broke. Unless by more lucrative you mean a higher cap number. That I don't doubt but there was no way Zach was getting Kovy money here.

I'm willing to believe it was pretty close to that, maybe $85 to $95 million. The difference likely was that there were no bonuses, and it might have been spread out longer without having a lot of $12 million years.

The total dollar figure, absent the front loading schenaigans is somewhat of a red herring if you're talking about the Devils financial situation. There is still a salary cap and floor, so it's just a matter if you want to spend that money somewhere else. But, for the most part, it has to go somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#24 brodeur14301991

brodeur14301991

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

I know for a fact the offer was no where close to the 98 million Minnesota offered. The night Lou met with Zach in Toronto, he thought he and Zach had an agreement. Zach then was ready to sign back with NJ and his agent went back to the Wild and they upped their offer to the 13/98. Zach then came back to Lou with the Wild's 13/98 million dollar offer and Lou did not make a counter offer because he knew he couldn't make an offer that would either match/come close to or beat the Wild offer. The final offer that Lou made and thought Zach had agreed to was 12/84 million or 7 million per year. This is coming from a very good source, someone who is very involved in the Devils front office. If you don't want to believe me so be it, but that's how everything went down. 

Edited by brodeur14301991, 30 July 2013 - 06:26 PM.

#25 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,028 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

I know for a fact the offer was no where close to the 100 million Minnesota offered. The night Lou met with Zach in Toronto, he thought he and Zach had an agreement. Zach then was ready to sign back with NJ and his agent went back to the Wild and they upped their offer to the 15/100. Zach then came back to Lou with the Wild's 15/100 million dollar offer and Lou did not make a counter offer because he knew he couldn't make an offer that would either match/come close to or beat the Wild offer. The final offer that Lou made and thought Zach had agreed to was 12/84 million or 7 million per year. This is coming from a very good source, someone who is very involved in the Devils front office. If you don't want to believe me so be it, but that's how everything went down.

The fact that you didn't get the wild offer/contract with parise right makes me not believe this story. Zach signed for 13 years and $98 million

#26 brodeur14301991

brodeur14301991

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

The fact that you didn't get the wild offer/contract with parise right makes me not believe this story. Zach signed for 13 years and $98 million

I was typing this very fast at work and were talking about Kovalchuk and that's why the 15/100 was on my mind sorry. Doubt it all you want I couldn't care less. If I could tell you where I got this information from you'd be shocked and wouldn't doubt it. However, in my line of work if I give up sources, I am in big trouble. 

Edited by brodeur14301991, 30 July 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#27 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

didnt Zach tell the Wild he'll take a little less than 100 mil if they gave Suter the same contract

#28 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

Either way, Minnesota offered Zach a stupid contract. Lou was right not to match it. Now they're paying the consequences, Earlier than I thought, but still.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#29 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

Either way, Minnesota offered Zach a stupid contract. Lou was right not to match it. Now they're paying the consequences, Earlier than I thought, but still.

Nah, they'll be truly paying the consequences in two or three years when Parise's speed starts to truly decline and he'll be a checking liner with a 7.5 cap hit. 

I saw an interesting chart which shows a player's peak point production typically occurs at 26. Thank the stars we don't have to worry about Kovalchuk or Parise as they start(ed) to heavily deteriorate 

#30 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

I'd enjoy knowing what Zach's cap recapture will be for every year early that he may retire

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#31 brodeur14301991

brodeur14301991

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

I'd enjoy knowing what Zach's cap recapture will be for every year early that he may retire

http://capgeek.com/r...layer_submit=on

#32 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

re: my avatar

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#33 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:39 PM

Nah, they'll be truly paying the consequences in two or three years when Parise's speed starts to truly decline and he'll be a checking liner with a 7.5 cap hit. 

I saw an interesting chart which shows a player's peak point production typically occurs at 26. Thank the stars we don't have to worry about Kovalchuk or Parise as they start(ed) to heavily deteriorate 

Agreed. I figured that was when they'd START feeling the effects of a dumbass deal. Instead, they're already feeling it.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#34 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:43 PM

Yep that's what I meant, a higher cap number, not bigger contract

#35 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:51 AM

http://capgeek.com/r...layer_submit=on

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#36 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

So much hate for Parise I am surprised, no I am not, just disappointed.

#37 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

So much hate for Parise I am surprised, no I am not, just disappointed.

Are you serious right now? You hate on a current player and anyone who thinks it's a bit much should just shut up. We hate on a guy who dumped us and you're disappointed. Wah wah wah. World's smallest violin here, playing just for you.

#38 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,961 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

Are you serious right now? You hate on a current player and anyone who thinks it's a bit much should just shut up. We hate on a guy who dumped us and you're disappointed. Wah wah wah. World's smallest violin here, playing just for you.

Don't feed the troll -  logic does not apply

Edited by Devilsfan118, 31 July 2013 - 11:17 AM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#39 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

Are you serious right now? You hate on a current player and anyone who thinks it's a bit much should just shut up. We hate on a guy who dumped us and you're disappointed. Wah wah wah. World's smallest violin here
, playing just for you.

Do you think I hate Marty? I don't I dislike him but you hate Parise. How sick you are!

#40 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,961 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

Do you think I hate Marty? I don't I dislike him but you hate Parise. How sick you are!

You're just looking for more forum pets, aren't you?

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users