91 replies to this topic

#41 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,212 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:33 PM

Would only take some dodgy franchise move to do this though, e.g. a current east team moves to the west. The NHL could have kept the old format with a reshuffle of two teams but decided to change it loads more for some reason; what's to stop this from happening again? I hope it doesn't expand too much more than what it is at the moment, I feel the exclusivity would be lost slightly.

At least at this moment in time, it seems like all the franchises, outside of Phoenix, seem to be fairly stable. Could be a problem in the future but I'd be surprised to see a relocation outside of the Coyotes happen within the next decade. Plus, I'm sure the NHL would try to keep relocations as close as possible geographically, sort of how the Coyotes almost went to Seattle. Just speculating here but say expansion happened and the Coyotes had to move, perhaps Las Vegas would be an option since they'll have the new arena and it wouldn't affect the divisions at all.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#42 iceowl14

iceowl14

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:42 PM

At least at this moment in time, it seems like all the franchises, outside of Phoenix, seem to be fairly stable. Could be a problem in the future but I'd be surprised to see a relocation outside of the Coyotes happen within the next decade. Plus, I'm sure the NHL would try to keep relocations as close as possible geographically, sort of how the Coyotes almost went to Seattle. Just speculating here but say expansion happened and the Coyotes had to move, perhaps Las Vegas would be an option since they'll have the new arena and it wouldn't affect the divisions at all.

If it doesn't affect the divisions, or if there is an easy way of re-configuring the divisions involving two teams or so, then relocation is all good. Again with expansion, if the league plans on keeping the 4 divisions for the time being then fair play, make it an even number for both conferences to maintain equality. My only hope is it doesn't exceed more than 32. Don't get me wrong, I love the English tiered system for soccer because of the excitement in April (Sheffield Wednesday usually in the mix of it!) but NHL should keep the league status by keeping an eye on the amount of teams playing, could easily get carries away with adding teams.

Twitter: @IceOwl14

#43 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,212 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:02 AM

I didn't think this was worth a new thread so I figured I'd put it here. From the Seattle Times:

And while the NHL has yet to announce expansion plans, Seattle remains at the forefront of the league’s thoughts as the time to add new franchises draws closer.

“When that happens, I think Seattle will certainly be an intriguing marketplace from the league’s perspective,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly says. “I think we have a belief in the Pacific Northwest. It being good hockey territory. I think, obviously, the Canucks have done a fantastic job — in Vancouver, but also throughout British Columbia and the Pacific region — at driving interest in the sport.

“So, we think the possibility is there. It’s kind of more obvious than some of the other areas. It doesn’t mean we’ve done our due diligence. We’d need to satisfy ourselves on the marketplace, but just the objective factors around the marketplace suggest Seattle would be a good hockey market.”
--------
Sources say there have been negotiations between the league and potential ownership groups in Seattle about the cost of expansion fees. To the point where the NHL and local officials could be prepared to make some type of announcement shortly after the Olympic Games in Sochi conclude — at a time the NHL hopes nationwide interest in its sport will be at a high point.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#44 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:15 AM

It would be brilliant to have a team in Seattle.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#45 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:46 PM

Seatte would support a hockey team really well. Once they finalize an arena, it would be a no-brainer to have that city at the top of the expansion/relocaction list.

#46 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:52 PM

I definitely think Seattle would be a great hockey market.  I also think they should do another Ontario team.  Another Toronto team would work.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#47 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

Expansion is definitely coming, it's just a matter of where when and how. Seattle seems obvious but I think Bettman would feel it ideal to start a team with a new arena. If that's the case it means Seattle is still 3 years away at least. Another Toronto team will obviously thrive in that market but I really doubt the leafs allow it, and Bettman has shown that he wants to grow the game in the us- another team in Toronto does nothing for the overall league.

My question is if say Seattle is settled and ready for 2016 or 2017, does the league push to get a second team in at the same time, or are they ok doing Seattle sooner and a second team say 5 or 6 years down the line.

#48 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,212 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:59 PM

Expansion is definitely coming, it's just a matter of where when and how. Seattle seems obvious but I think Bettman would feel it ideal to start a team with a new arena. If that's the case it means Seattle is still 3 years away at least. Another Toronto team will obviously thrive in that market but I really doubt the leafs allow it, and Bettman has shown that he wants to grow the game in the us- another team in Toronto does nothing for the overall league.

My question is if say Seattle is settled and ready for 2016 or 2017, does the league push to get a second team in at the same time, or are they ok doing Seattle sooner and a second team say 5 or 6 years down the line.

I can't find the link but I remember reading on TSN a few months back that McKenzie said the NHL would be open to having team #31 enter the league a year or two before team #32 if need be.

#49 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,044 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:34 PM

I think the two expansion cities in the end will be Seattle and Quebec City. They didn't build that new arena in QC for an AHL team, and that dude has a sh!t-ton of money.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#50 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

pretty obvious to me that it will be Seattle and las vegas

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#51 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,107 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:13 PM

Seattle Grunge and Las Vegas Pawnbrokers! YEAH!!!

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#52 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,857 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:15 PM

All of Canada would have a simultaneous aneurysm if Las Vegas was picked over a Canadian market. It'd be hilarious.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 14 February 2014 - 10:16 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#53 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:23 PM

All of Canada would have a simultaneous aneurysm if Las Vegas was picked over a Canadian market. It'd be hilarious.

It would be less hilarious to lose out on profit sharing money for another crappy franchise.

Seattle and Quebec City please. Move Detroit or Columbus back West and put QC in either "atlantic" or "metro" division.

Posted Image

#54 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,044 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:26 PM

It would be less hilarious to lose out on profit sharing money for another crappy franchise.

Seattle and Quebec City please. Move Detroit or Columbus back West and put QC in either "atlantic" or "metro" division.

Bettman will never move Detroit back west. Ilitch is waaaay too powerful an owner and the Red Wings are way too powerful a franchise to ever have that happen- not after how long they waited and how much they bitched about moving east. I'd welcome Columbus going back though, we suck against them and they're getting better- just the kind of team I fvcking hate.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#55 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

Bettman will never move Detroit back west. Ilitch is waaaay too powerful an owner and the Red Wings are way too powerful a franchise to ever have that happen- not after how long they waited and how much they bitched about moving east. I'd welcome Columbus going back though, we suck against them and they're getting better- just the kind of team I fvcking hate.

True. Detroit moving back seems like a long shot.

Posted Image

#56 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,907 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:42 PM

I feel like Seattle & Quebec City are the most likely choices, with Las Vegas and Kansas City being just behind. But if they do that, they're going to have to completely re-think the league's alignment. No way any eastern time zone teams move to the western conference.

Can't help but wonder if they'd look to a AL/NL, AFC/NFC type setup. I get that both of those have historical connotations, but the league is so east-heavy (and would be moreso if you add Quebec back into the mix) that it might be a choice to at least look at.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#57 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:13 PM

I don't know, something about Canadian expansion just doesn't seem likely to me. I think bettman will try anything he can to get a second US city, so I wouldn't put money on Quebec City. That being said it think the jets success so far might have opened some eyes in the e nhl offices.

I don't think las vegas will ever house a major sports franchise, so I'd rule them out.

Edited by dmann422, 14 February 2014 - 11:49 PM.

#58 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:20 AM

Portland or Oklahoma

#59 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,107 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:06 AM

I'd go the safe route and go Hamilton and Quebec City. Hockey, is after all, a Canadian tradition.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#60 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

It would be financially safer to move a team to Seattle - you take a struggling $$$ team and move it to a lucrative market. However, as far as non-financial matters go, the NHL could really use an expansion team to add 20 roster spots to the league. There's more than enough NHL quality players to put together another team. I also don't feel comfortable with there being two more teams in the East than the West. I can deal with one because of the proximity advantage, but not two. Seattle is perfect but I can only hear these rumors for so many years....get it done already!

Is this a joke?

Edited by Neb00rs, 16 February 2014 - 04:01 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users