game looks sick. especially lookin forward to nhl 94 mode

#22 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

Looks neat, but for $60?  Tweaked the hitting and skating engines from last year, re-visited fights, and added some multiple choice questions to BaP.

I mean, I'll pay it, because I'm a moronic sucker and do so every year, but you gotta wonder if it's actually worth it.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#23 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

Looks neat, but for $60?  Tweaked the hitting and skating engines from last year, re-visited fights, and added some multiple choice questions to BaP.

I mean, I'll pay it, because I'm a moronic sucker and do so every year, but you gotta wonder if it's actually worth it.

Every year there are people complaining that it's too similar to last year's game.  Well last year's game didn't need a complete overhaul so I'm glad they don't try to reinvent the wheel every year.  A few things needed to be revisited, like the hitting and little things that make a big difference like squaring up to forwards while defending and opening up to incoming passes, but overall last year's game I thought was pretty good.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#24 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

Personally I thought the weakest part of the game last year was the friendly/teammates AI on defense.  Just horrible, and to compensate it seemed they opted to just make the goalies freakishly good. 

Hopefully their tweaks addressed the AI.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 08 August 2013 - 09:24 AM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#25 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

The game series has always had bad AI. The breakouts are clunky and unrealistic and usually when the D get the puck in the offensive zone at the point, bad things happen. Especially true online but against the AI too.

815631765.gif

#26 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

We know we're paying for a slightly updated version of last year's game and have been for 20 years. No secret there. The next real big thing is going to be when they finish implementing the physics based stuff and the game is run totally based on that.

#27 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

For the amount of use i get out of it, I think it's easily worth 60 bucks. I mean, we all pay 30 or more to see a live game

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#28 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,624 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

I usually skip at least a year with these games for that exact reason, so my last one is NHL '12.  However, I think I'll either buy this year's game or ask for it for my birthday (which is in October).

Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#29 Steadevils

Steadevils

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

I usually skip at least a year with these games for that exact reason, so my last one is NHL '12.  However, I think I'll either buy this year's game or ask for it for my birthday (which is in October).

Every other year is what I do too. This is a year i will break that practice with Marty being on the cover. This will be the only game case that won't end up gaining dust or being used for other things..Might even look cool in a frame.

"I realized from Day 1 the way I played I'd never be a Gretzky or a Lemieux, well, a Mario I mean. I was never going to be a player to get standing ovations in a visitors' building."

-- Claude Lemieux - May 7, 1999

#30 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

Every other year is what I do too. This is a year i will break that practice with Marty being on the cover. This will be the only game case that won't end up gaining dust or being used for other things..Might even look cool in a frame.

This is probably the way to go as no quality video game can be put together in under a year. That's why they do small updates at a time. I just can't help myself and I have every game since NHL 95, minus the lockout year.

#31 Steadevils

Steadevils

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:12 PM

This is probably the way to go as no quality video game can be put together in under a year. That's why they do small updates at a time. I just can't help myself and I have every game since NHL 95, minus the lockout year.

The biggest changes happen cause of roster movement. I take the time to make the all Devils roster changes and a few of the other biggest moves for a season mode, but do not change all of the other rosters (have a tad of a life). I don't think the NHL franchise has it, but MLB The Show has GREAT user made downloadable rosters including all of the minor league players that the developers never made. They end up being miles better than the rosters that the game puts out.

Edited by Steadevils, 08 August 2013 - 02:13 PM.

"I realized from Day 1 the way I played I'd never be a Gretzky or a Lemieux, well, a Mario I mean. I was never going to be a player to get standing ovations in a visitors' building."

-- Claude Lemieux - May 7, 1999

#32 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

The biggest changes happen cause of roster movement. I take the time to make the all Devils roster changes and a few of the other biggest moves for a season mode, but do not change all of the other rosters (have a tad of a life). I don't think the NHL franchise has it, but MLB The Show has GREAT user made downloadable rosters including all of the minor league players that the developers never made. They end up being miles better than the rosters that the game puts out.

They used to allow downloadable rosters, but something to do with making sure the PS trophies weren't gained via non-standard methods, made it impossible. Don't ask me how, I don't understand, but I read it on the internets, so it's 100% fact.

I try to adjust the Devils roster to perfection as well. I will do all the NHL rosters correctly, but only to the point where at least everybody on the team, is on the damn team. I don't mess with everybody's minor leaguers and prospects; it would take days.

I wish they allowed downloadable rosters because it would be so much easier. Imagine how fast we could perfect every roster in the game if we all just took one team to look at? It would take hours instead of days.

#33 Bibby89

Bibby89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

I actually find it more fun to have all the rosters as accurate a possible (yes, I have the time due to 2 kids and my wife working nights). I actually played along with the devils 2 seasons ago and even used the correct line combos and startin goaltenders for the games. Made it pretty fun actually.

#34 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:27 PM

I actually find it more fun to have all the rosters as accurate a possible (yes, I have the time due to 2 kids and my wife working nights). I actually played along with the devils 2 seasons ago and even used the correct line combos and startin goaltenders for the games. Made it pretty fun actually.

It starts out fun, but to go through hundreds of players and alter their stats to where they actually resemble the player's skill is EXTREMELY tedious. It takes me a couple hours just to get the Devils roster done. That's why I usually just make them accurate in the sense that the roster contains the correct regulars as starters, even if it's not 100% perfect on a game to game basis. So long as the players there are "regulars", it's good enough to me. Otherwise, it's literally days worth of work to get through each team, it's minor league players they may call up and all their prospects in the AHL and CHL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users