#1 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,848 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

http://espn.go.com/b...-martin-brodeur

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#2 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:13 PM

Sucha shame we that 2001 Finals was...

Woulda been the difference for Cups!

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#3 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,948 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

An old Patrick beat a Marty in his prime in 2001.

Id still vote for Marty though. The puck playing skills and composure put him over the top.

Edit: 2001

Edited by devlman, 07 August 2013 - 05:10 PM.

#4 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:01 PM

Roy > Brodeur

believe-zubrus.jpg

#5 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

The way I've always compared "The Big Three" (Roy, Brodeur, Hasek)

Roy:  most clutch, Captain Butterfly

Hasek:  best pure puck-stopper, probably ever

Brodeur:  best all-arounder...rules were actually put in place to negate his strengths.  Insanely durable. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#6 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,287 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:59 PM

I really hate to say this, but if we're playing one game for the Cup I'm taking Roy over Marty. He's the only guy I would take over Marty though.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#7 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,829 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

Brodeur:  best all-arounder...rules were actually put in place to negate his strengths.  Insanely durable. 

This is pretty much where i stand. Brodeur's longevity and durability are unmatched, but Roy won 2 Conn Smythes and 4 Cups over the course of 15 years.

I wish I could have seen guys like Glenn Hall, Jacques Plante, Terry Sawchuk, etc in their prime to compare.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#8 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

I really hate to say this, but if we're playing one game for the Cup I'm taking Roy over Marty. He's the only guy I would take over Marty though.

Why hate to say it. It is the right selection and any true hockey fan knows it is the right choice.

#9 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

Good comparision. Marty stick handling is a plus for him, but Roy was clutch for the big games. Who doesn't get concerned if it is the big game and Marty in his prime was in goal?

You got to stop the puck before you move it.

These are the best three goalie that have been in the NHL. Tough ranking number 1. They each were special.

#10 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,948 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

lol

Edited by devlman, 07 August 2013 - 05:11 PM.

#11 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

Also Brodeur won't throw a hissy fit and demand to be traded to a better situation

#12 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

Roy slightly better, and the greatest big game goalie of the past 30 years at least. Marty better to have around for a full season, especially on a so so team because of his poise and leadership. You can't ignore that Roy bear Marty in '01 (and yes, I know there were other players), but I don't see Roy winning a cup with the '03 Devils; that team won because they trusted each other and bounced back from mistakes as a team, and Marty's calming presence in net and refusal to throw guys under the bus, even when they couldn't score, had a lot to do with that culture. 

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#13 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:34 PM

Also Brodeur won't throw a hissy fit and demand to be traded to a better situation

Absolutely he will blame his team mates.

#14 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,387 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:38 PM

I must have missed Marty's 6th Cup Final appearance.

I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#15 dmitri

dmitri

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:49 PM

Roy

The Official Keeper of the Devils Anthem: <a href="http://www.songfacts...=1456&">Runnin' with the Devil by Van Halen</a>

#16 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:09 AM

I'll always love Marty...but as the question goes ("...in his prime..."), I think you've gotta go with Roy.

"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#17 Bibby89

Bibby89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:13 AM

I must have missed Marty's 6th Cup Final appearance.

I was wondering the same thing.

#18 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:41 AM

Good comparision. Marty stick handling is a plus for him, but Roy was clutch for the big games. Who doesn't get concerned if it is the big game and Marty in his prime was in goal?

You got to stop the puck before you move it.

These are the best three goalie that have been in the NHL. Tough ranking number 1. They each were special.

It's not like you can go wrong with ANY of them, really.

What's amazing in Hasek's case is that he racked up 389 wins and didn't even become a full-time starter in the NHL until he was 28. 

I've brought this up before, but from '93-'99, Hasek's save%s were just ridiculous:  .930, .930, .920, .930, .932, .937.  He finished at .922 for his career (.925 playoffs).  Brodeur is at .913 for his career and .919 playoffs, and Roy is at .910 career and .918 playoffs.  Roy's numbers are a little tricky because he played in both Live Puck and Dead Puck (his .900 save% led the NHL in '87-'88...he was putting up .900+ save%s and sub-3.00 GAAs when it was a big deal to do so.  Vanbiesbrouck won a Vezina in '86 with a 3.32 GAA and .887 save%.  Those numbers would get you cut today).  Brodeur and Hasek played most of their careers in Dead Puck.  Roy's play really sticks out if you were watching NHL hockey in the '80s, because there was a lot of mediocre goaltending back then...yeah, there were a lot of Giguere, Michelin-men types as the 90s transitioned into the 2000s, no doubt, but when you watch some '80s games, you realize that a lot of guys who were goalies back then simply weren't terribly good.  Goalies are better overall now.   

Beyond that, it's all about what one chooses to emphasize as to why you'd pick one over the other...Hasek's absurd puck-stopping skills, Roy's ability to play AND flourish in the stifling fishbowl that is Montreal for as long as he did, Brodeur's insane ability to start 70+ games year after year after year, be consistent, and be the best pure puck-handling goalie the game has ever seen. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#19 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,964 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:23 AM

Well said, agree with this.

In one game?  I'd take Roy for sure, but to build a franchise I'd take Marty.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#20 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

..it's not by much, but I'm going with Roy.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users