52 replies to this topic

#41 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,873 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:11 PM

It's hard to support these games when they insist on sticking the same teams in them. I know it has to do with NBC and ratings. I hope in 2016 the Wild get the Winter Classic and host the Avalanche.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#42 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:43 PM

Give me Stars @ Wild and Blues @ Colorado please.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#43 Unthinkable

Unthinkable

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:19 PM

It's hard to support these games when they insist on sticking the same teams in them. I know it has to do with NBC and ratings. I hope in 2016 the Wild get the Winter Classic and host the Avalanche.

Couldn't agree more. This past season definitely killed the novelty for me with all the games played outdoors as well.

Edited by Unthinkable, 07 August 2014 - 07:19 PM.

"Look Hollom, its leadership they want. Strength. Now you find that within yourself and you will earn their respect. With that respect, true discipline goes by the board." -Captain Jack Aubrey

"Right, lads. Now I know there's not a faint heart among you. I know you're as anxious as I am to get into close action. But we must bring 'em right up beside us before we spring this trap. That will test our nerve. And discipline will count just as much as courage. The Acheron is a tough nut to crack. More then twice our guns. More then twice our numbers. And they will sell their lives dearly." -Capt. Jack Aubrey

#44 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,491 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:01 AM

I think it's pretty remote Wild and Avs get the WC.  The markets are too small for NBC.  I do think though that the Wild and Avs have a great shot at a Stadium Series game next year.

#45 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:26 AM

Couldn't agree more. This past season definitely killed the novelty for me with all the games played outdoors as well.

How many of the outdoor games did you attend?  

Posted ImagePosted Image

#46 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:28 AM

I'm probably in a crazy minority, but I wouldn't mind each team getting one outdoor game per season. I enjoy them that much, the fans obviously do, the teams and the leagues make tons of cash.

Of course, to do that would kill off the novelty within a season or two. I just talked myself out of it.

I agree with you.  Each team playing once would be great. Especially since it is the only way some teams will ever get an outdoor game.  Does anyone really think that Pens and Hawks fans were less interested in their game because there were 2 games in NY and a game in LA?  I doubt it.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#47 Unthinkable

Unthinkable

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

How many of the outdoor games did you attend?

Zero. My hockey region didnt feature one last year and even if it had, i would've likely missed it. One outdoor game a season is plenty.

Edited by Unthinkable, 09 August 2014 - 02:24 PM.

"Look Hollom, its leadership they want. Strength. Now you find that within yourself and you will earn their respect. With that respect, true discipline goes by the board." -Captain Jack Aubrey

"Right, lads. Now I know there's not a faint heart among you. I know you're as anxious as I am to get into close action. But we must bring 'em right up beside us before we spring this trap. That will test our nerve. And discipline will count just as much as courage. The Acheron is a tough nut to crack. More then twice our guns. More then twice our numbers. And they will sell their lives dearly." -Capt. Jack Aubrey

#48 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:50 PM

I agree with you. Each team playing once would be great. Especially since it is the only way some teams will ever get an outdoor game. Does anyone really think that Pens and Hawks fans were less interested in their game because there were 2 games in NY and a game in LA? I doubt it.

It's not just about the fans of the teams that are playing though. These games are aired on national tv. If you have too many of them, the ratings will drop due to viewers that aren't fans of either team that's playing and are only watching because of that novelty factor.

Edited by ATLL765, 09 August 2014 - 03:51 PM.

#49 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:24 AM

It's not just about the fans of the teams that are playing though. These games are aired on national tv. If you have too many of them, the ratings will drop due to viewers that aren't fans of either team that's playing and are only watching because of that novelty factor.

For the most part, it is about the fans of those teams.  At least for the Stadium Series.  Just look at the prices being charged.  If they stick to one game in the US per year, you can pretty much count on it being a rotation of the following teams:  Rangers, Flyers, Bruins, Blackhawks, Wings, Leafs and Habs (against one of the big market US teams), plus one or two others based on who is the current flavor of the month.  Pittsburgh and Washington are currently flavors of the month because of Crosby and Ovechkin.  Those two aren't going to play forever and when they are done, those teams will not be part of the national radar.  Look at what happened to the Pens during the time between Lemieux retiring and Crosby being drafted.  They went bankrupt, were in the middle of every relocation rumor.  Same will happen again.

Rangers-Devs was on NBC on a sunday afternoon.  Rest were primetime on NBCS.  

Edited by Matteau#32, 12 August 2014 - 10:26 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#50 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,491 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:55 PM

Nationals Park was officially announced as the venue for this coming seasons Winter Classic.

I really wish they would stop with using baseball stadiums and instead try to do it at football stadiums only.

#51 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:25 AM

Nationals Park was officially announced as the venue for this coming seasons Winter Classic.

I really wish they would stop with using baseball stadiums and instead try to do it at football stadiums only.

Problem with that is the NFL and the uncertainty of playoffs.

College Stadiums are usually no problem, but it usually takes a week-10 days to set up the rink [i think] so it'd be tough/impossible to use NFL ones often

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#52 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,299 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:51 AM

Problem with that is the NFL and the uncertainty of playoffs.

College Stadiums are usually no problem, but it usually takes a week-10 days to set up the rink [i think] so it'd be tough/impossible to use NFL ones often

RFK stadium would be available but it's a dump.

#53 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:54 PM

All they really care about is TV time to get ad revenue. They pick teams that are household names everyone knows about to get the maximum viewers. Their love affair with Queen, Crosby, Ovechkin, any "Original Six" team and the LA Kings are why we keep seeing the same old teams, even if they mixed us, the Islanders and the Ducks in last year.

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users